PW Format Change?

wymberley

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Has there been one? Not only that, my old I-Pad took a hit a while pack such that I can't use it to post and now within the last day or so I can't use it at all for PW as it can't securely acquire the server - or some-such which I don't pretend to understand.

My ipad has done exactly the same over the last day or so. I`m with you wymberley, I don`t understand these things either.

OB

I experienced similar difficulties with my old - very old- iPad. I was experiencing difficulties with other sites too. It seems that after a few years Apple do not allow upgrading the software which could, potentially, resolve the problem. So I bought a new, basic, iPad and all is OK.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I am sorry that you too have the problem, but it is good to know that it's not just me

Guys it's probably your laptops, If anything was wrong with PW then more people would be experiencing it. In any case I have checked the site and there are no problems.(see attached) The problem may be your security package, specifically your virus protection,(assuming you have any).

What normally happens is this, over a period of time, as you visit sites and open links you can pick up malware or worse still viruses. Whilst you are still getting to use your laptop on other sites or open your mail etc, etc, it's more likely to be malware rather than a virus.

Malware can take several forms but the most likely, judging from your descriptions is malware called PUP's, (potentially  unwanted programs), these tend to hijack some of your registry keys and cause problems with sites not opening or functioning properly.

However, all is not lost, with the aid of two bits of freely downloadable software you can clear the problem yourself.

The first download you require is Malwarebytes from here   :  https://www.malwarebytes.com/   Click on the free for home use version to download and then install it.

Secondly, download a program called Glary's Utilities from here   : https://www.glarysoft.com/    again download the free version and install it onto your laptop.

Now to deal with the problems , firstly run malwarebytes and when it opens click on "SCAN", this will scan all your files, folders and registry keys, anything it finds will show up in red and be placed in quarantine, simply follow the instructions to delete any unwanted item's from the quarantined area, then exit malwearbytes.

Now run Glary's utilities and when it opens you will see on screen " one click maintenance "  which is the middle of the 3 options at the top, if not auto selected click on this and then at the bottom click "scan for issues " this program will then scan your laptop or tower for that matter, finding any issues, when it has finished scanning you will again see in red issues it has found, the important one is registry cleaner as this fixes any broken keys left by the removal of unwanted software by malwarebytes.  you can also let it clean up  short cuts, spyware, temp files and start up.

Then simply restart your laptop and it should now be fine.    NOTE!!!  both of these programs have a free version which you can continue to use, but they are not capable of stopping re-infection, for that you need a decent anti-virus. 

As a post note to this iPad's use the ios operating system, and older iPad's will not allow the installation of the very latest operating variants of ios so that is why you cannot get updates of the latest bug fixes, only option is to upgrade your iPad for a new one or better still buy a computer that runs on Windows or Android.

site check.JPG

Edited by Tonka54

1 hour ago, Tonka54 said:

Guys it's probably your laptops, If anything was wrong with PW then more people would be experiencing it. In any case I have checked the site and there are no problems.(see attached) The problem may be your security package, specifically your virus protection,(assuming you have any).

What normally happens is this, over a period of time, as you visit sites and open links you can pick up malware or worse still viruses. Whilst you are still getting to use your laptop on other sites or open your mail etc, etc, it's more likely to be malware rather than a virus.

Malware can take several forms but the most likely, judging from your descriptions is malware called PUP's, (potentially  unwanted programs), these tend to hijack some of your registry keys and cause problems with sites not opening or functioning properly.

However, all is not lost, with the aid of two bits of freely downloadable software you can clear the problem yourself.

The first download you require is Malwarebytes from here   :  https://www.malwarebytes.com/   Click on the free for home use version to download and then install it.

Secondly, download a program called Glary's Utilities from here   : https://www.glarysoft.com/    again download the free version and install it onto your laptop.

Now to deal with the problems , firstly run malwarebytes and when it opens click on "SCAN", this will scan all your files, folders and registry keys, anything it finds will show up in red and be placed in quarantine, simply follow the instructions to delete any unwanted item's from the quarantined area, then exit malwearbytes.

Now run Glary's utilities and when it opens you will see on screen " one click maintenance "  which is the middle of the 3 options at the top, if not auto selected click on this and then at the bottom click "scan for issues " this program will then scan your laptop or tower for that matter, finding any issues, when it has finished scanning you will again see in red issues it has found, the important one is registry cleaner as this fixes any broken keys left by the removal of unwanted software by malwarebytes.  you can also let it clean up  short cuts, spyware, temp files and start up.

Then simply restart your laptop and it should now be fine.    NOTE!!!  both of these programs have a free version which you can continue to use, but they are not capable of stopping re-infection, for that you need a decent anti-virus. 

As a post note to this iPad's use the ios operating system, and older iPad's will not allow the installation of the very latest operating variants of ios so that is why you cannot get updates of the latest bug fixes, only option is to upgrade your iPad for a new one or better still buy a computer that runs on Windows or Android.

site check.JPG

Many thanks Tonka54 for that. I have now come to the conclusion that my ipad is old and cannot be upgraded to IOS 10 (whatever that is) so it`s a case of biting the bullet and buying a new one.

OB

4 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Many thanks Tonka54 for that. I have now come to the conclusion that my ipad is old and cannot be upgraded to IOS 10 (whatever that is) so it`s a case of biting the bullet and buying a new one.

OB

Unfortunately that may well be the case, ios 10 is apple's operating system, what usually happens is that updates will be available for any Apple Mac devices up to the point where the internal hardware of a device is so out of date that it cannot cope with the demands of new operating systems, unlike desktops or towers systems, laptops and iPads are so prohibitive towards hardware updates that in most cases it is unfeasible financially to upgrade them, to purchase a new one is often the cheaper option.

1 hour ago, Tonka54 said:

Unfortunately that may well be the case, ios 10 is apple's operating system, what usually happens is that updates will be available for any Apple Mac devices up to the point where the internal hardware of a device is so out of date that it cannot cope with the demands of new operating systems, unlike desktops or towers systems, laptops and iPads are so prohibitive towards hardware updates that in most cases it is unfeasible financially to upgrade them, to purchase a new one is often the cheaper option.

Thanks again. I was told yesterday by my small local independent computer shop  that whilst there are refurbished iPads available much cheaper, this would be false economy as I could be in the same situation a year or so down the road. He advised to buy new via John Lewis or someone similar. 
OB

13 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks again. I was told yesterday by my small local independent computer shop  that whilst there are refurbished iPads available much cheaper, this would be false economy as I could be in the same situation a year or so down the road. He advised to buy new via John Lewis or someone similar. 
OB

Right enough, mine has lasted just a couple of years from the big A. The only place affected for me is PW. I also see on my tower computer that in addition to just the post titles when you go to a sub forum you now also get a comprehensive summary of the individual topics.

25 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Right enough, mine has lasted just a couple of years from the big A. The only place affected for me is PW. I also see on my tower computer that in addition to just the post titles when you go to a sub forum you now also get a comprehensive summary of the individual topics.

Can I ask if yours is IOS 10 or later. Mine is 9. something and I understand is out of date. I too cannot now post on PW, so my only course of action is to upgrade. I am led by what the experts tell me.

OB

35 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Can I ask if yours is IOS 10 or later. Mine is 9. something and I understand is out of date. I too cannot now post on PW, so my only course of action is to upgrade. I am led by what the experts tell me.

OB

I wouldn't have a clue.

You and me both.

It was OK just being able to read the posts and then stumble upstairs if I wanted to post. However, with a bit of patience all will be well as I'm told by the boss that apparently we are going to have a dining room room and bedroom extension across the back of the house (bungalow with loft conversion) and our existing mini dining room will be my new playpen.

54 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I wouldn't have a clue.

You and me both.

It was OK just being able to read the posts and then stumble upstairs if I wanted to post. However, with a bit of patience all will be well as I'm told by the boss that apparently we are going to have a dining room room and bedroom extension across the back of the house (bungalow with loft conversion) and our existing mini dining room will be my new playpen.

All these technical issues are way beyond my comprehension also.

I am pleased that your better half has decided that you can have a playroom all to yourself. Luxury indeed.

Our humble abode unfortunately cannot house such an elaboration, so my `playpen` is merely a space under the stairs, but keeps me happy whilst at my desk and on the PC.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

All these technical issues are way beyond my comprehension also.

I am pleased that your better half has decided that you can have a playroom all to yourself. Luxury indeed.

Our humble abode unfortunately cannot house such an elaboration, so my `playpen` is merely a space under the stairs, but keeps me happy whilst at my desk and on the PC.

OB

Think feminine wiles. Currently upstairs on the opposite side of the 'house'. Will be downstairs (open) so probably also under them; in earshot and visible through a glazed door. No escape. :oops:

Ok. For Tonka. I can’t access on safari or google chrome. The details of the certificate are:

forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk

issued by :R3

Expires: Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 08:43:33 green which mean time

x This certificate is not valid (expired root)

Edited by turbo33

If you are using older ipads then it is the fault of apple, I have an ipad one of the early ones, it stopped updating about 3 years ago and is only good to look at photos on and makes a big paperweight.
Stopped using apple products years ago because of the problems of not being able to access anything and the built in obselesence.

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

If you are using older ipads then it is the fault of apple, I have an ipad one of the early ones, it stopped updating about 3 years ago and is only good to look at photos on and makes a big paperweight.
Stopped using apple products years ago because of the problems of not being able to access anything and the built in obselesence.

Mines 10.11.6

Works fine with Airgun bbs and all the other shooting related sites, FB, etc.  It’s only PW and one other that it doesn’t work with as of Thursday this week.  It’s a PW problem. I don’t have an issue with it, can happily go to another shooting web site that works. 

Edited by turbo33

29 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Mines 10.11.6

Works fine with Airgun bbs and all the other shooting related sites, FB, etc.  It’s only PW and one other that it doesn’t work with as of Thursday this week.  It’s a PW problem. I don’t have an issue with it, can happily go to another shooting web site that works. 

Some of the sites will use older versions that the older operating systems will recognise, one they upgrade those sites then your older operating system which is not updated by apple anymore will stop recognising it.

45 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Some of the sites will use older versions that the older operating systems will recognise, one they upgrade those sites then your older operating system which is not updated by apple anymore will stop recognising 

Edited by turbo33

2 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Respectfully, I think you’re missing the point. It’s only pigeon watch and one other site that’s not related in any other way, that is blocking access and warning me that PW is impersonating hackers trying to take my personal information, credit card details etc. Now I can ignore this warning, and ignore the fact that the certificate has issues at my own peril. But why would I risk that.? This is quite a serious issue and simply telling people they need a new device is not acceptable or sound security advice. 

10 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

C1458F13-BC4F-4462-8959-AC662724411F.jpeg