Waterproof over trousers

grahamch

I've got a pair of the Harkila packable over trousers, well I don't think they would last long in the brambles they haven't let the wet in yet. About £120.

If you're Hoggs one have worn out why not got some more< you'd probably get 3 or 4 pairs at you're budget.

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

at my age im more interested in waterproof under trousers

🤔😁, I know what you mean Simon,  my bladder getting to be a right pain, 🙄

48 minutes ago, ditchman said:

at my age im more interested in waterproof under trousers

🤔😁, I know what you mean Simon,  my bladder getting to be a right pain, 🙄

32 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Is Barbour stuff any good? thought they had gone all trendy and the quality had gone?

Hello, they say the quality is not as good not like the early years when they were realy tough and thornproof like the solely zipper and yes they are classed now as a trendy country wear, more for guns than beaters, to be honest Graham  if your not to worried on thornproof get the Hoggs, I use those  short hoggs popper leggings over moleskin trousers, with some Aigles tall wellies, still keep dry and warm but if you wildfowling you need a full trouser, best wishes

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

You haven’t said what you are going to do in them but  for picking up where I am not in thorn just Heather or bracken I use a thirty quid pair of plastic coated bib and brace. They do a couple of seasons and then replace. For thorn I use Barbour stud on wax proof leggings and a coat that goes well down over the top of them. I wear both over a pair of sealand waterproof trousers.

That is a fair budget for overtrousers and I cannot possibly comment on any in that price range but as an alternative you might not have looked at.......

I use the green flexothane type you get at agricultural shops. Waterproof, breathable, don't rip like other crappy overtrousers on barbed wire, brambles or thorns because they have that bit of stretch in the material, leave them in the shed at the end of the day to dry out and you can get them for £15 - 20 quid. Usually get about 2 seasons of rough shooting and beating out of them.  

They are green also so look absolutely fine in the field though I never think its a fashion parade when its bucketing down! 

Edited by ChrisWill184

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

You haven’t said what you are going to do in them but  for picking up where I am not in thorn just Heather or bracken I use a thirty quid pair of plastic coated bib and brace. They do a couple of seasons and then replace. For thorn I use Barbour stud on wax proof leggings and a coat that goes well down over the top of them. I wear both over a pair of sealand waterproof trousers.

I hope the seal and trousers are better than my seal and tregings which are supposed to be waterproof but certainly not

5 hours ago, bluesj said:

I've got a pair of the Harkila packable over trousers, well I don't think they would last long in the brambles they haven't let the wet in yet. About £120.

If you're Hoggs one have worn out why not got some more< you'd probably get 3 or 4 pairs at you're budget.

Do the harkila over trousers come up big, as I am 34 trousers and not sure what size I need. Can buy online a lot cheaper but need sizes

14 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Do the harkila over trousers come up big, as I am 34 trousers and not sure what size I need. Can buy online a lot cheaper but need sizes

I'm a 34 the trousers are 50 = to 34 they are ok but the next size up i think would be better if you are moving about.

21 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Hoggs stud on leggings are handy, keep mine in a jacket poachers pocket and can be slipped on for bramble cover or wet game plots.

Blackpowder

A couple of other things that i have used them for somewhere dry to sit and make shift dog coat.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

They look just the job, I was going to ask what folks use for brambles then this thread came up 👍

The thing I find with waxed stud on leggings, is that as you try to push through thick brambles, they ride up the leggings and then snag around the groin area, where the leggings have run out, which doesn’t happen with over trousers. 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

The thing I find with waxed stud on leggings, is that as you try to push through thick brambles, they ride up the leggings and then snag around the groin area, where the leggings have run out, which doesn’t happen with over trousers. 

I've had wax over trousers and you sweat your nappers off though 🤔🤔

Edited by harrycatcat1

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Hello, I only beat on one shoot and no brambles 🤔😁, but I agree on this, my go to leggings back years ago were full size barbours when they were made for beaters and £20 

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I've had wax over trousers and you sweat your nappers off though 🤔🤔

That can be an issue to be honest. The older ones with the cotton lining don’t seem a on bad, but they’ve started lining them with a synthetic material now,  and as daft as it sounds, I only wear thermal leggings under mine, which mean you don’t get cold with sweat, you just stay warm. 
Ive tried wearing all sorts underneath, including just me shreddies, but when the sweat cools you get cold. This doesn’t happen with thermals underneath. 
I have had countless pairs of good quality over trousers, but repeated beating through briers etc renders that goretex or thinsulate membrane useless in my experience, and they ain’t cheap. 

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

That can be an issue to be honest. The older ones with the cotton lining don’t seem a on bad, but they’ve started lining them with a synthetic material now,  and as daft as it sounds, I only wear thermal leggings under mine, which mean you don’t get cold with sweat, you just stay warm. 
Ive tried wearing all sorts underneath, including just me shreddies, but when the sweat cools you get cold. This doesn’t happen with thermals underneath. 
I have had countless pairs of good quality over trousers, but repeated beating through briers etc renders that goretex or thinsulate membrane useless in my experience, and they ain’t cheap. 

Think I might just do what I have been doing, take my wading stick and thrash the brambles down best I can and take my time. 👍👍👍