City folk and Marathon

chrisjpainter

How do they do it?! We're up in London as my partner's running the marathon tomorrow. We're staying in an airB&B in Woolwich Arsenal. We're 8 floors up, but it's stuffy so I opened a window. Big mistake. Car horns, buses, a bizarre whistle of unnamed origin, trains, taxis pulling up, police sirens, undergrounds, bicycles more buses, someone's radio, aeroplanes...it's an urban orchestra tuning up. whilst drunk. But apparently people want to be here for all that and they call it 'bustle'.

Give me strength. Two days and we can scurry back to Dorset and the peace of the corvids gathering in the trees outside our window, which looks out over fields where the only commuters are the roe and sika moving from woods to grass and back again.

Anyone else know people running? My OH sets off at 10:40 ish

Edited by chrisjpainter

35 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

How do they do it?! We're up in London as my partner's running the marathon tomorrow. We're staying in an airB&B in Woolwich Arsenal. We're 8 floors up, but it's stuffy so I opened a window. Big mistake. Car horns, buses, a bizarre whistle of unnamed origin, trains, taxis pulling up, police sirens, undergrounds, bicycles more buses, someone's radio, aeroplanes...it's an urban orchestra tuning up. whilst drunk. But apparently people want to be here for all that and they call it 'bustle'.

Give me strength. Two days and we can scurry back to Dorset and the peace of the corvids gathering in the trees outside our window, which looks out over fields where the only commuters are the roe and sika moving from woods to grass and back again.

i have worked in many cities  its the same        i hate it          and when they move to the countryside    it smells    cattle make a noise     the milk wagon wakes them up     muck spreading etc     they join the parish council and change everything   and then  they leave because            locally 3 houses on bell lane with a church at the end  hundreds of years old     a couple moved in     the trouble they caused was unbelievable      no bell practice friday evenings for an hour no bells on sunday  for church /mass      then left and moved on to cause trouble elsewhere     i miss the bells  they were good

8 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

1 am and we had the token gunshot going off, followed by sirens. Still, all done and the big day's here. calm, cool, dry day for a good marathon run. My partner's aiming for 5 hours. I'm aiming for tea and cake in as many coffee shops as I can make round the route.

A gun shot rang out round here at midnight...but it was just me shooting a rat on my way home from lamping. 270 is definitely minimum calibre for rats 😬🙈😂

My mates wife is running the marathon today too. 

10 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah, those cyclists riding past can be really noisy. :lol:

Good luck to your better half today. 

I live in sunny Essex and have to commute to East London every day to work. Sometimes I have to travel into Central London to various garages for various reasons. I hate the place, other than sightseeing why anyone would want to go there is beyond me. I only work in London because it pays a lot better than the same job where I live. But I hate it, I know some people love the hustle and bustle and the fact it never switches off but I can't work out why.

Good luck today, I hope it all goes well.

I will travel to London at the drop of a hat, for little reason, and have stayed there many times, but I don’t think I’d like to live there. 
Some friends have a flat there, in Camberwell, and they’re often travelling down there, but their main residence is the Eden Valley, and their kids grew up and went to school here. 

Beats me why anyone would not to be there. The Telegraph did an article on a few folk who couldn't wait to get back into the city to live...... if you call that living.  I haven't been anywhere near since 2007 when I had a 3hr flying visit to collect an award for our fishing club and couldn't wait for that train to pull out of the station.

MIND....??????? Anyone been into Birmingham lately ????

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I will travel to London at the drop of a hat, for little reason, and have stayed there many times, but I don’t think I’d like to live there. 
Some friends have a flat there, in Camberwell, and they’re often travelling down there, but their main residence is the Eden Valley, and their kids grew up and went to school here. 

Ito much prefer The Eden Valley to London. Its ok for a weekend but would hate to have to work there again .

Edited by mowdy

19 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

How did the marathon go?

I've been to London once maybe twice. Both times for the royal Albert Hall for the cirque du soleil. Managed a quick trip to the natural history museum in the day. Got out of there straight after. Too much concrete, too many people and took me an age to get in anywhere. Tbf I feel the same in just about any large town, never mind a city. I'm going to a gig next year at the o2 arena, I'm dreading it, but it's closer than Birmingham or Manchester. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

How did the marathon go?

I've been to London once maybe twice. Both times for the royal Albert Hall for the cirque du soleil. Managed a quick trip to the natural history museum in the day. Got out of there straight after. Too much concrete, too many people and took me an age to get in anywhere. Tbf I feel the same in just about any large town, never mind a city. I'm going to a gig next year at the o2 arena, I'm dreading it, but it's closer than Birmingham or Manchester. 

She did well! sub 5 hour time - and clocked up 27 miles doing it, which was a surprise! It's because of all the weaving and dodging she did to get around people or moving to different sides of the road.

Some of the costumes...mad.

One chap went round as a one man band, a few rhinos, a submarine outfit and a chap with a wheelie bin strapped to his back. All a bit mad, but a very enjoyable day out. Katy briefly ended up on TV - doing her hair, which annoyed her as she's totally not fussed about that sort of thing usually!

Ready to return to Dorset for sure though!

On 02/10/2021 at 22:49, chrisjpainter said:

I know what you mean mate.  Pre Covid I was there once a month or so with work, I don’t think I ever made the alarm in a morning - there always seems to be a trade waste bottle bin being emptied outside my window irrespective of where I’m staying.

I'm probably biased because i was brought up there, but it's one of the greatest cities in the world and i love it. You will also find that while you're admiring your white picket fences, your kids and grandkids will generally love it as well and will take any opportunity they can to visit the bright lights

46 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I'm probably biased because i was brought up there, but it's one of the greatest cities in the world and i love it. You will also find that while you're admiring your white picket fences, your kids and grandkids will generally love it as well and will take any opportunity they can to visit the bright lights

How old do you think I am?!

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

How old do you think I am?!

I've no idea - Danger Mouse is 40 years old, but never seems to age!

My comments were more a generalisation to the various replies on here. Hope your missus is getting some life back in her legs after her efforts at the weekend

7 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I've no idea - Danger Mouse is 40 years old, but never seems to age!

My comments were more a generalisation to the various replies on here. Hope your missus is getting some life back in her legs after her efforts at the weekend

35. I do actually I love being in it at ground level and enjoying the chaos...but I could never live there. She did well and is in the process of upgrading herself from waddle to walk in her recovery period!