Double Rifles: Does anyone use them?

Shadowchaser

I don't have a Firearms Certificate myself and therefore don't own a rifle, but in a world where I could own any rifle I've always loved the idea of a double rifle (side by side).

The best use of a double rifle I can think of in film is in Tremors 2, when Burt Gummer arrives and gives Earl and the other guy a double rifle each as a back up weapon. They use them to despatch some of the shriekers.

However, are they a practical gun and if you could own one would you? Are they only suited to close quarters big game hunting? 

I know Kreighoff have a range of double rifles (very expensive), so there must be some call for them. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a lot of sense in having one barrel next to the other .presuming you use a scope on top how would it be possible to zero either barrel ?? And are they both the same calibre or different  ? 

Surely  over under makes more sense ? 

I'd love a .410 . / 17 hmr 

That would be such a versatile  gun ,a real shtf .gun 

Edited by Ultrastu

Thanks for the reply.

I got this from wikipedia regarding the barrels: 

"Double rifles can come in two barrel configurations, over and under designs (usually abbreviated as O/U) where the two barrels are mounted vertically one on top of the other, or side by side (usually abbreviated as SxS) where the two barrels are mounted horizontally next to each other.

For dangerous game hunting, side by side rifles are usually preferred. This is for a number of reasons but predominantly because the barrels of an over and under gun must be pivoted much farther down to clear the lower barrel for reloading.[4]

During manufacture the barrels of double rifles require "regulation" to ensure the bullet paths from both barrels are aimed at a common point of aim. This can be done to ensure either the bullets 1) parallel each other closely at all practical ranges, or 2) converge at a given range, beyond which they begin to diverge.[5] Because of the need to regulate a rifle to a specific loading of its chambered cartridge, once regulated a double rifle cannot satisfactorily shoot bullets of different weights or velocities, as it usually affects the accuracy.[5] The process of regulating a double rifle’s barrels is complex and can be time consuming, significantly adding to the cost of the rifle."

Ah yes I've seen .410 rifle/shotgun hybrids in various media.  It would certainly make for a versatile platform. 

The above seems massively  complicated .and fraught  with the possibility of failure. 

Ie one barrel shoots where you want it to and the other totally off .

Rendering it pointless having 2 barrels .

Why not have one barrel and a magazine with multiple bullets .? 

I can see why they aren't popular. 

Edited by Ultrastu

Sometimes they're referred to as Elephant Guns but I always associated that term with large bore shotguns firing a solid slug, like a 10 or 8 bore gun. 

Again according to Wikipedia:  The double rifle is usually handcrafted and is considered by many to be the pinnacle of sporting rifle design. It is not designed for long-range accuracy but instead for the security of an immediate second shot.

As you said however an O/U would probably make more sense. 

20 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The above seems massively  complicated .and fraught  with the possibility of failure. 

Ie one barrel shoots where you want it to and the other totally off .

Rendering it pointless having 2 barrels .

Why not have one barrel and a magazine with multiple bullets .? 

I can see why they aren't popular. 

Sorry Stu, but you really don’t know much about rifles.

The double rifle was favoured by big game hunters who were hunting big dangerous game . The double rifle handled like a shot gun and was faster to aim than a rifle . These guns were usually open sights and used at very close range ,some times as close as 20 yards. With the double you had two very fast shots and you tended to pull the trigger rather than squeeze it like you would a shot gun .

harnser

One reason double rifles were and still are used for big game was because its a bit like have 2 rifle in 1, if a cape buffalo is heading your way you take aim squeeze the trigger and it goes click you can just pull the other trigger. If something goes wrong with a bolt action rifle you are a little bit stuffed!

21 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

Sometimes they're referred to as Elephant Guns but I always associated that term with large bore shotguns firing a solid slug, like a 10 or 8 bore gun. 

Again according to Wikipedia:  The double rifle is usually handcrafted and is considered by many to be the pinnacle of sporting rifle design. It is not designed for long-range accuracy but instead for the security of an immediate second shot.

As you said however an O/U would probably make more sense. 

Is it any easier to get the two barrels of a over and under to shoot point of aim than a side by side? 

I can honestly say I can pull a second trigger faster than I can work a bolt and then pull the trigger 

top is a paradox rifle I was privileged to shoot 1.1/2 lead ball

middle  416 Rigby 

bottom 470 double rifle 

786359C4-90B9-461B-B1BF-32A7E41A75AB.png

14C5F048-E769-4E9F-95F4-7C39C1CB2F6C.jpeg

86D256ED-C739-4C74-9F42-DA8504A96045.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Is it any easier to get the two barrels of a over and under to shoot point of aim than a side by side? 

I can honestly say I can pull a second trigger faster than I can work a bolt and then pull the trigger 

top is a paradox rifle I was privileged to shoot 1.1/2 lead ball

middle  416 Rigby 

bottom 470 double rifle 

786359C4-90B9-461B-B1BF-32A7E41A75AB.png

14C5F048-E769-4E9F-95F4-7C39C1CB2F6C.jpeg

86D256ED-C739-4C74-9F42-DA8504A96045.jpeg

Very nice.

Are any of these yours Old Farrier? 

London Best will be along just to try and wind people up while adding nothing to a conversation  .Great guy that he is .🤪

25 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

They are for shooting large game and dangerous game. The accuracy far exceeds minute-of-buffalo at 80 yards rather than shooting the legs off flies at 300m. 

I like the minute  of buffalo  accuracy 😆

Just now, Shadowchaser said:

Very nice.

Are any of these yours Old Farrier? 

The Rigby and the double rifle were 

iv moved on so sold them 

Just now, WalkedUp said:

You didn’t need the second shot! Great photographs. @London Bestwill be along to remind you to clear your chambers before taking the pic. 

I got a telling off for not reloading as we were in a dangerous game area 🤭London best should know that 

should add that I used the solid in the left barrel as opposed  to the expanding round in the right barrel another advantage of the double rifle 

I doubt it's any easier getting 2 barrels to converge at an exact point in ou format than sxs . Poi can shift left right up down with a single barrel when swapping from batch to batch of the same projectile .let along  a different brand or bullet weight .and then expecting 2 barrels to do the same thing is very unlikely. 

But as said above it depends on distance to quarry and size of it .so charging elephant is probably pretty easy to hit at 25 yds irrespective  of where the bullet goes .

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

should add that I used the solid in the left barrel as opposed  to the expanding round in the right barrel another advantage of the double rifle 

Great point, must need a cool head to master. The closest I’ve come is walked up shot a cock, sent the dog to retrieve and broken the gun, the dog picking the bird set off its mate and I didn’t have a cartridge in yet. Closed the gun, flipped the barrel selector and dropped the second bird. Was chuffed to be stood next to the game keeper. If I had my side by side double trigger then would have been no bother at all!

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I doubt it's any easier getting 2 barrels to converge at an exact point in ou format than sxs . Poi can shift left right up down with a single barrel when swapping from batch to batch of the same projectile .let along  a different brand or bullet weight .and then expecting 2 barrels to do the same thing is very unlikely. 

But as said above it depends on distance to quarry and size of it .so charging elephant is probably pretty easy to hit at 25 yds irrespective  of where the bullet goes .

That’s probably why my ammunition cost £20 a shot 

its not about hitting the elephant it’s about hitting it in the right place

just as a point of interest if you were in the situation that would require the despatch of the elephant it would be at 20 yards 

now to upset LB he’ll probably have me as a idiot for this 

i used to practice shooting golfballs with the 416 at 100 yards 🤭

As that’s the target size you have to hit when your wanting to shoot big crocodile 

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

now to upset LB he’ll probably have me as a idiot for this 

i used to practice shooting golfballs with the 416 at 100 yards 🤭

As that’s the target size you have to hit when your wanting to shoot big crocodile 

Nowt wrong with that! Much safer than shooting at one a few yards away with an air gun.

I have had the privilege of a few shots with a .416 Rigby. Very nice round.

12 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

It’s easier to regulate a sbs due to the way the ribs and wedges are set up.  

Also the reason you shoot a set load, the express sight (open sights) are filed to get them regulated (zeroed to the barrels), scopes can be fitted.  

OU are more often seen on the continent in ‘light’ calibres (30 cal 8mm and 9.3mm  mainly) for boar.  

Whilst you can pick a ‘budget’ double for £4K they are often much much more.  

As to use a bolt action much to slow if you have a issue, now a days rounds jam in chambers are a lot less common but still a death sentence in a buff charge.  As a bolt action is only faster until the magazine is empty 3-4 rounds in most big bores, the sbs will over take it at the reload. 

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

30 cal self loader would be my choice with spare mags.

Probably a good choice however minimum caliber in dangerous game area’s is 375 HH not sure if they make a self loader that’s guaranteed not to jam in this caliber 

and to be honest I don’t think you would get the same sense of achievement as you get hunting with a double rifle