Liver bacon & onions

ditchman

decieded to have liver ...smoked streaky bacon and onions ..casseroled today with mash and fine chopped cabbage................

i know its old school .......does anyone else eat this sort of thing........showed the liver to a mate of mine and he nearly chucked up at the sight of it and said how the bloody hell can you eat that ****

am i strange ?...............its very good for you

My bestist ever meal, the gravy is just unbeatable, just one thing i would have to change, 

the cabbage, i have to have garden peas with mine and for the cream on the top it has to be bramley apple pie and custard.😍

1 minute ago, Ratlegs said:

When I was on mobile animal feed, one farmer's wife would bring out a big mug of chitterlings

Oh no !!! cant touch that. 

We called them pigs bottoms in the butchers, pressed or not. and they smell of wee wee

I love liver, mash and onion gravy and have it quite often. It`s a cheap meal but not many eat it these days. My daughters would never eat it and that`s now passed down to their sons, so never gets tried. Sad really.

Enjoy yours today Ditchy.

Kidneys is another often forgotten food.

OB

i always soak my liver after i have washed and squeezed it....in milk for a couple of hours....then pat dry and flour it before frying in butter and oil

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Was it from riding the pig to school all those years ago?

yeeeeeee--------haaaaaaaaahhhhhh......yeepy-ki-aeaaaa...******-******

25 minutes ago, Dougy said:

My bestist ever meal, the gravy is just unbeatable, just one thing i would have to change, 

the cabbage, i have to have garden peas with mine and for the cream on the top it has to be bramley apple pie and custard.😍

Oh no !!! cant touch that. 

We called them pigs bottoms in the butchers, pressed or not. and they smell of wee wee

An acquired taste

IF it where roe liver then even better.  Yes, good preparation of liver is important , a couple of good soaks in some water and a good squeeze to get as much blood out a possible.  To answer your question Simon, yes my type of fodder but there again there isn't much I will not eat at a push, brought up in the War years when you where glad you had something on the table.

Roast leg of lamb today with a crumble to follow made from our own Worcester Permain apples and a couple of Russets added along with a sprinkle of walnuts, clotted cream to help it slide down.

Other half was away a fortnight ago, so made myself lambs liver and onions with mashed potatoes, peas and carrots.

Smashing, reminded me of when I was a child in the 50s and my Nan used to make it in the frying pan and my twin and I would wipe out the thick gravy from the frying pan with fresh cut crusty bread, made by my Grandad.

Happy days. She also made the best ever faggots.

FB

One of our regular favourites is lamb's liver and bacon, but this week, for some reason, Morrisons substituted ox liver, so I made my Vietnamese liver, peanut and soy sauce curry with gram (chickpea) flour pancakes.

Delicious!

The strong flavour of the ox liver is smoothed out nicely by the coconut milk and crunchy peanut butter

Edited by amateur

We still make our own faggots get pigs pluck onions dried bread.

boil the puck with the onions keep the juice let pluck go cold the put though mincer with onions and dry bread make into cricket size balls cover with streaky bacon as we can’t get the Cail now the put in hot over with some of the juice in a meat tray cook serve with mushy peas and chips ruddy lovely.

PS if you don’t now what pluck is I will tell you it’s the wind pipe with the lungs heart and liver and lights hanging of it like I said ruddy lovely 

Edited by snow white

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

IF it where roe liver then even better.  Yes, good preparation of liver is important , a couple of good soaks in some water and a good squeeze to get as much blood out a possible.  To answer your question Simon, yes my type of fodder but there again there isn't much I will not eat at a push, brought up in the War years when you where glad you had something on the table.

Roast leg of lamb today with a crumble to follow made from our own Worcester Permain apples and a couple of Russets added along with a sprinkle of walnuts, clotted cream to help it slide down.

its funny how peoples tastes change........i used to love lamb..........cant abide it now...i like lamb mince for moussaka and shepards pie...wont eat roast beef now ...but will only eat it cold with pickles and homemade horseradish and chips .......have started a love affair with belly pork...either casseroleded or sweet and sor with rice sweet and sour i make myself with plum jam soya sauce tomatoe sauce woster sauce etc.........eat alot of morracan food now which i make myself.....

just taken the casserole out of the oven after 45 mins ..the last 10 mins i took the lid off.....i did add at the beginning tomatoe puri with a vedgetable stock cube ...gave it a taste ...******* georgeous.......just waiting for the cabbage and pots ..............does make a difference when you use proper cured smoked streaky bacon:yahoo: