shower room ceiling paint

billytheghillie

Hello, just doing my son bathroom, no mould but a bit flaky, brush off flaky paint and I will use a cheap oil based under coat then some bathroom paint, I thin undercoat and use sponge rollers, this gives a good base for top coat, it's an old building so does get a bit of damp but we fitted a good extractor as no window, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

21 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

its a old rented cottage and have had some black mould in the bedrooms, i always keep the shower room window open as well.

Have you checked to see if there is any insulation in the loft above the bathroom? In my experience any excess water in the air, ie condensation will form on cold surfaces. If there is insulation make sure its thick enough and spread evenly.

Edited to say I used to own a house with a single brick gable wall and it used to run with condensation every winter.

Edited by harrycatcat1

You can get bathroom paint and add buy an anti mould solution to mix in. You can use the anti mould solution in emulsion in any area where you get mould to discourage it.

I clean down with mould spray first, let it soak for about an hour, then wash off. Let dry well before painting.

You can get anti mould paint, but its expensive and in limited colours.

1 minute ago, loriusgarrulus said:

You can get bathroom paint and add buy an anti mould solution to mix in. You can use the anti mould solution in emulsion in any area where you get mould to discourage it.

I clean down with mould spray first, let it soak for about an hour, then wash off. Let dry well before painting.

You can get anti mould paint, but its expensive and in limited colours.

Hello, interesting , what is the anti Mold solution called ?? 

A friend had a very black ceiling in his shower room. Tried all sorts of paint of remedies until i suggested plastic cladding it.

Its a type of plastic decor panelling that a mate of mine has used on many bathrooms and kitchens.

I clad it in under 3 hours. No more painting.

8 minutes ago, del.gue said:

A friend had a very black ceiling in his shower room. Tried all sorts of paint of remedies until i suggested plastic cladding it.

Its a type of plastic decor panelling that a mate of mine has used on many bathrooms and kitchens.

I clad it in under 3 hours. No more painting.

Name please?

Edited by Yellow Bear

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Name please?

Its called Decopanel They have a website and online gallery with all the shades, colours and patterns.

Just now, del.gue said:

Its called Decopanel They have a website and online gallery with all the shades, colours and patterns.

Not the best pic but this is the shower room.

20210612_144743.jpg

In my opinion you can treat it in all this fancy paint but if the ceiling surface is cold you will still get condensation forming on it.

We have been in this house for 30+ years and never had this problem,  we don't have a fan and we both shower every day and it's just plain emulsion paint on the ceiling. It's because the loft is well insulated. Condensation forms on the windows but not the ceiling.