Mattress sales.

DUNKS

Does anyone else get the "traveller" type guy calling round with new mattress for sale?

Every few months we get various guys in Transit vans with brand new still in the original polythene wrapper mattresses for sale. All top end stuff and selling for around £200 different excuse as to why they have them every time. Anyone know what the crack is on this.

27 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, had that at the farm selling compressors, Irish accent 🤔

My ex boss actually bought a generator when they called. We called him a fool inpolitely (we all thought they were casing the joint) but that thing didn't break for years. Fake Chinese honda engine, so light it was one handed. Probably still running. 

Still wouldn't trust em/it tho

55 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, had that at the farm selling compressors, Irish accent 🤔

Had the same, if I remember correctly he said he had been doing an exhibition and his boss had told him to shift them before returning to base, I was not interested but he dropped from something like £400 to £200 with a hoover thrown in. Still not interested.

Edited by powler

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

My ex boss actually bought a generator when they called. We called him a fool inpolitely (we all thought they were casing the joint) but that thing didn't break for years. Fake Chinese honda engine, so light it was one handed. Probably still running. 

Still wouldn't trust em/it tho

I nearly did buy one 🤔🙄

1 hour ago, powler said:

Had the same, if I remember correctly he said he had been doing an exhibition and his boss had told him to shift them before returning to base, I was not interested but he dropped from something like £400 to £200 with a hoover thrown in. Still not interested.

Sure it was not Dyson in disguise 😁, that's about the same speel I got 👎

6 hours ago, powler said:

Yep I've had this excuse, also that they are out of show houses that have sold and the new owners already have beds.

Edited by DUNKS

Years ago everything from lino, new clothes to dishclothes were sold door to door.  If you travel, and have no use for a fixed location outlet, door to door sales are still an option, with little in the way of overheads = cheap.  No doubt wrong uns sometimes but not exclusively.  I've known some decent people hawk goods and carry out trades door to door.  

Apply the same amount of caution that you should apply to E-Bay...  

7 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

It always used to be contract quality carpet years ago. They reckoned they had lenghs left over from a contract job and needed to clear it. 

An old Irish woman would call at my Dad's house every couple of years with a transit van full of carpets, my Grandad was a rag and bone man and my Dad grew up haggling, so she would get her boys to unroll bits of carpets in the road in front of the house, she and my Dad would haggle away(a couple of tots of whiskey were usually consumed) and a spit in the hand and handshake concluded the deals.

The quality of the carpets were very good, but it was a spectacle watching this very old Irish Gypsy and my Dad go through their haggling, it could take an hour or more, I think they both enjoyed it.

12 hours ago, powler said:

Yes. Or that there had been a "miscount" at the end of the exhibition. It also was high end watches in motorway service station car parks. In the Midlands it was usually....the story....after an exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham. Or sets of quality kitchen knives.

To prove it was genuine the seller would have a respected glossy magazine with an advert for the same watch or knives at £XXX price. Yes it was the same watch but the truth was the people making the watches or knives and supplying these sellers had also placed the advertisement.

And the watch or knife set was worth very little. But in that advert the price was indeed shown as £XXX. You were truly getting the very same thing that was shown but what was shown in the magazine was never ever worth £XXX to begin with. 

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

I paid £100 of one for a double mattress around 10 years ago and I managed 3-4 years out of it . 
I never get more than 2-4 years out of my mattresses anyway. 
to be fair before people joke I actually swap them when I get a long term mrs out of respect to them 😀

You swap the mattress,  or , swap the Mrs? 😅.

6 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You swap the mattress,  or , swap the Mrs? 😅.

Well I get longer out of a mattress that a relationship currently 😂. ive a date with a girl from your way tomorrow night . I’ve literally just fell down the stairs 🙈. I’ve an icepack on my leg 😂

Edited by team tractor

7 hours ago, team tractor said:

Well I get longer out of a mattress that a relationship currently 😂. ive a date with a girl from your way tomorrow night . I’ve literally just fell down the stairs 🙈. I’ve an icepack on my leg 😂

That's not like you to be accident prone nath 😅.

Best of luck with the date mate 👍.

Bought a mattress recently from a warehouse for around £350 Inc delivery and only checked the make etc after getting it delivered and it retails for around £1100-1300. They buy end of lines, closing down, bankrupt stock furniture and apparently it is a booming business. Perhaps they are doing the same on a smaller scale?