National Trust anti Hunting vote

scolopax

Can I please ask / implore any National Trust members on PW to vote against the members resolution to ban all hound work (trail hunting, exercise etc) on NT properties. Voting can be done simply online before the AGM (30th October in York).

If this vote passes it will impact many hunts but will be particularly damaging to several of the foot packs in the Lake District

I fear it's already, Game, Set and Match to the antis. When the NT is left land on condition that hunting will continue and they then proceed to rope in the donor's son - a disgrace to his late father - in order to get that condition over-ridden and are successful when all they had to do was wait a few months and the legislative change would have done the job for them, reflects their determination to get the job done at all costs.

Personally finding it difficult to find time for them now. 

The ones in charge seem to treat it all like along paid holiday at the expense of others?

Near to me they have tried by fencing and flashers to prevent deer collisions over a 1/4 mile length to leave the crossing access funnelled into a 5 foot gap where the fence ends? Defies description?

I have commentated on the Trust's ways many times. They (their new management) have an agenda which is a mix of Blue Peter, Countryfile and Wasting money.

Recently here there were trumpets sounding as they had breached a hole in the banks of the Tamar to allow the tide to flood a field. No one thought of the fish left stranded. A "viewing platform" has been built to "view" the field at vast expense, alas it only gives a view of a small mussy pond.

Signs have just gone up about hibernation - one explaining their wonderful "work" in preserving Dormice saying that nesting boxes have been put in the trees. Alas, they forgot that the woods are overrun with grey squirrels who must enjoy the Dormice snacks? I could go on but it makes me boil!

23 minutes ago, CaptC said:

I have commentated on the Trust's ways many times. They (their new management) have an agenda which is a mix of Blue Peter, Countryfile and Wasting money.

Recently here there were trumpets sounding as they had breached a hole in the banks of the Tamar to allow the tide to flood a field. No one thought of the fish left stranded. A "viewing platform" has been built to "view" the field at vast expense, alas it only gives a view of a small mussy pond.

Signs have just gone up about hibernation - one explaining their wonderful "work" in preserving Dormice saying that nesting boxes have been put in the trees. Alas, they forgot that the woods are overrun with grey squirrels who must enjoy the Dormice snacks? I could go on but it makes me boil!

PS - Height of Summer and National Butterfly Week - Along come the Trust's Ranger "Team" who flail all the vegetation, plants, bushes etc  on the tracks. It went from The Wild Wood to HS2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid that is the way the Trust is going and unfortunately, will not return. Large estates donated to the Trust with the proviso "hunting" continued has long been kicked into touch. Snowflakes have taken over.

The Trust spends more time on money loosing vanity projects trying to show how they encourage nature but they all seem to fail.

There are still estates that have shooting syndicates - I wonder how long they will last?

Just now, spanj said:

Seems only 2% of the membership voted (I was one, won’t be renewing). Got to be contestable, indeed I think the CA are………

It is only an 'advisory' on the management I understand.  At 2 : 1, it's hard to see how it is 'contestable'?  Everyone was mailed and had a choice of several ways to vote and plenty of time in which to do so.  The CA and/or the BASC notified me as well - as did the initiator of this thread (through the thread), so it is hard to see how anyone could be 'unaware'.  The truth is that very few people actually care and the 'antis' were better at turning out their supporters, or have more supporters.  Restore Trust did get 4 out of their 6 recommended candidates elected, but that is 4 out of 36 (I think).  I believe each year, 6 of the 36 panel/board are up for election.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

National Trust members vote to ban trail hunts on its land - BBC News

It's coming the wake of the director of The Masters of Foxhounds Association being found guilty of encouraging hunts to use trail hunts as a smokescreen for hunting real foxes. 

I have already put my thoughts on hunting with hounds on another thread, but that link again backs up what I said, despite the anger it incurred off some on here. 

Whether people support it or not, the public is vastly against it and the damage to that sport has been irreparably done already. It really is flogging a dead horse trying to defend it. 

20 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I have already put my thoughts on hunting with hounds on another thread, but that link again backs up what I said, despite the anger it incurred off some on here. 

Whether people support it or not, the public is vastly against it and the damage to that sport has been irreparably done already. It really is flogging a dead horse trying to defend it. 

how right you are exactly why they took this action with hunting’s corpse already under the bus for angering the public they were smart enough to make use of it 

20 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The truth is that very few people actually care and the 'antis' were better at turning out their supporters, or have more supporters.

26 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Screenshot_20211031-122938_Facebook.jpg

That's it, most don't care, it doesn't affect them in any way, but unfortunately the antis have managed to get the vote they wanted and the result.