Just read this

hodge911

Police worker who issued Plymouth shooter Jake Davison with gun licence investigated for gross misconduct

Martin Evans
The Telegraph
6 October 2021, 2:19 pm
Jake Davison, 22, killed five people with a shotgun before taking his own life

Jake Davison, 22, killed five people with a shotgun before taking his own life

Two members of Devon and Cornwall Police staff have been issued with a gross misconduct notice over the decision to grant Plymouth gunman Jake Davison a shotgun licence.

The notice was also issued over the later decision to return it to him weeks before he killed five people with a shotgun, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said.

The police watchdog has earlier revealed that Davison had kept his shotgun licence despite admitting assault on two teenagers.

The licence was taken from him in December 2020 following the alleged assault last September and it was returned to him in July, weeks before the shooting.

It was claimed that he had the shotgun for sports use and had the licence reinstated after he attended an anger management course.

The IOPC regional director David Ford said: "Based on the evidence gathered so far, we have now served disciplinary notices on two individuals within the force to advise them their conduct is subject to investigation.

"The serving of such notices will be kept under review."

Davison, 22, shot and killed five people, including a three-year-old girl and his own mother, before taking his own life in a 12-minute attack on August 12.

As well as the coroner's investigation and IOPC inquiry, the National Police Chiefs Council is also looking at the Devon and Cornwall force's firearms policies and procedures.

The Government is planning new statutory guidance, including asking doctors to undertake medical checks on anyone applying for a licence and inquiries into social media usage.

Davison received mental health support during the coronavirus lockdown and had been in contact with a telephone helpline service in Plymouth run by the Livewell Southwest organisation.

Social media usage by Davison suggested an obsession with "incel" culture, meaning "involuntary celibate", as well as an interest in guns and the US.

Reports have suggested Davison's mother had been struggling to get help for her son, having become concerned about his mental health

40 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

as well as an interest in guns and the US.

I'm in no way defending his actions at all.

But, if we didn't have an interest in "guns" why bother applying for a licence.

Surely there are many 1000s of people who have an interest in the US.

None of which makes us murderers.

Perhaps the journalist doesn't have sufficient command of the English language or is going for sensationalism. 

It really depends on who signed off the licence and how much they checked.

If the authorising officer merely signs anything put in front of him / her, then they should be investigated. I learned a harsh lesson at a relatively early age - don't sign off anything you aren't sure about. If you aren't certain - don't sign.

If the people doing the firearms checks withheld information from the authorising officer, then that authorising officer would not be culpable and the checkers should carry the can.

Any police or local government officer or police civilian is bound by code of conduct somebody’s work fell bellow the standard that was expected and they are being investigated good !

Fingers crossed lessons will be learnt and this will not be allowed to happen ever again !

Agriv8

Should come as no surprise to anyone that this incident will bring even more regulations upon the law abiding firearms holders even though the issue of this action onto police proves it was a error by individuals in the force not the system as is.totally predictable knee jerk.

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Any police or local government officer or police civilian is bound by code of conduct somebody’s work fell bellow the standard that was expected and they are being investigated good !

Fingers crossed lessons will be learnt and this will not be allowed to happen ever again !

Agriv8

If this was a case of completely failing to do the basics of their job then fair enough. I just hope for those involved this isn't a witch hunt to protect the senior officers by ruining the lives of some low paid civilian staff.

You have to remember the licencing system is about managing risk not eliminating it. By giving people access to firearms there will be tragic events like this at some point, it's just a matter of how often.

I'm sure we have all seen posts on sites like this where people can't understand not being granted a licence due to previous transgressions or health issues. Should this be a permanent ban or assessed like these people did? I'm just glad I don't have to make those decisions and risk mine and my families livelihood for somebody else's hobby.

22 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

If this was a case of completely failing to do the basics of their job then fair enough. I just hope for those involved this isn't a witch hunt to protect the senior officers by ruining the lives of some low paid civilian staff.

You have to remember the licencing system is about managing risk not eliminating it. By giving people access to firearms there will be tragic events like this at some point, it's just a matter of how often.

I'm sure we have all seen posts on sites like this where people can't understand not being granted a licence due to previous transgressions or health issues. Should this be a permanent ban or assessed like these people did? I'm just glad I don't have to make those decisions and risk mine and my families livelihood for somebody else's hobby.

You Put it a lot better than I did. All we can hope for is the process was not followed in this case I suspect it wasn’t.  I hope for our sake they get to the truth and don’t hush it up for 99 years as previously has happened ! 

Still have the feeling it will be us SHC holders that’s going to pay the price for whatever went wrong. But we have to remember that innocent people were shot !

the gun does not kill it’s the person using it that does !

Agriv8

I’ve already had additional interviews because of this . 
I lost my guns 2 years ago in feb for an alleged assault. Zero evidence except for her word but I was arrested, bailed for 3 months and had my guns back within 9 months . 
My feo is truly amazing and has done everything he can to help .

I provided mental health assessments off my own back . I was never charged as it never happened and unfortunately as I wasn’t charged they couldn’t check the phones of the corrupt officers in question. 

my feo rang me to see how I was and then came to my house . He asked about my relationship status etc . Bloody lovely bloke Simon Is. 

20 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I'm in no way defending his actions at all.

But, if we didn't have an interest in "guns" why bother applying for a licence.

Surely there are many 1000s of people who have an interest in the US.

None of which makes us murderers.

Perhaps the journalist doesn't have sufficient command of the English language or is going for sensationalism. 

I am sure it is for sensationalism. However there is big difference between interest and obsession. I have an interest in shotguns and use them for sporting purposes which is exactly what mine are designed for.some have an interest for game or pest control.however it seems the plymouth killer may have had an interest/obsession to fuel his anger or control mentality. Anyone of good character and who uses their guns only for the purpose of sport or pest control should be allowed to hold folirearms.however anyone who just wants to hoard loads in their bedroom and sit drooling over them never any intention of carrying out any sporting purposes should not.also this person was known to have anger/mental problems so that would on its own be enough for a lifetime ban.while i am sure that someone in the devon force firearms will have some kind of note placed on their file as most of the fao are part time retired it will not be of much consequence to them unlike the law abiding holders who will no doubt have more hurdles to jump just to be able to carry on being responsible shooters.

Edited by bostonmick

We don't know anything about the "alleged" assault except he wasn't prosecuted. Assault can mean so many things, at different times and circumstances, including something incredibly minor. Not necessarily what we would think of as an assault, ie a punch  

No prosecution pulls the rug out from under any decision to take away his shotgun. It means the facts have not been tested in court

So actually this could be down to inaction on the part of the CPS rather than the police by deciding not to prosecute?

got to keep an open mind on this. He definitely should not have had a shotgun but i have always found FEOs default to no if they have any doubt, so is there more we don't know about? 

Edited by Vince Green

11 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

We don't know anything about the "alleged" assault except he wasn't prosecuted. Assault can mean so many things, at different times and circumstances, including something incredibly minor. Not necessarily what we would think of as an assault, ie a punch  

No prosecution pulls the rug out from under any decision to take away his shotgun. It means the facts have not been tested in court

So actually this could be down to inaction on the part of the CPS rather than the police by deciding not to prosecute?

got to keep an open mind on this. He definitely should not have had a shotgun but i have always found FEOs default to no if they have any doubt, so is there more we don't know about? 

Yep, I would love to hear the story from the two 'scapegoats'.

25 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

A bit of info on that in this video, from non other than Callum from 'English shooting' (I wonder if HE got his guns back?)

Anyway, despite his stilted speech , he does raise some valid points.

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

We don't know anything about the "alleged" assault except he wasn't prosecuted

Although we do not know what the assault entailed. We do know he pleaded guilty in the interview.

It was then decided that he could do an anger management course, instead of being cautioned/charged. We also know that the firearms team were not informed of the assault.

52 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Although we do not know what the assault entailed. We do know he pleaded guilty in the interview.

It was then decided that he could do an anger management course, instead of being cautioned/charged. We also know that the firearms team were not informed of the assault.

There lies the point, he cant plead guilty to anything in an interview, he can just admit that whatever it is said happened did take place. But without a court case to decide whether that constituted an assault or not in the eyes of the law it goes nowhere.

I suspect that what ever happen probably wasn't a physical altercation or he would have been charged. Either that or the victims, for reasons of their own, wouldn't press charges. Maybe maybe maybe