"Do not reload these cartridges"

So, following from my other thread on not reloading the steel carts once shot, I actually emailed a number of companies asking why you can't reload. I actually got a sensible reply from one company! I have asked to quote them, however whilst they were happy with the content sharing they didn't want to be mentioned in name or brand which I shall honour.

Cartridge cases can basically be made in two ways. 

Standard cases are made of a tube, a base wad and a metal head which is formed around these and holds them together. 
Compression formed cases have the case and base wad moulded in one piece using high resilience plastics with the metal head then attached. 

The latter are very expensive to manufacture and are often found in loads in the USA where reloading is not uncommon and the case is tough enough to withstand it. They are very robust - I used to reload Remington and Winchester compression formed cases as a student to save money ! 

Standard cases are best shot once as reloading and firing them again runs the risk of the case separating from the head due to the method of manufacturing. 

This also does help potentially answer why American shooters ask why the UK don't reload more, and certainly a higher cost of shell that's cheaper to reload would partially explain it. 

So..... having shot this brand that replied and can agree they produce a nice standard shell, their affordability through cheaper production methods render their cases unsuitable for reload. In our market where many (most?) don't reload, a lower price point is definitely what the market wants!

Nice share!

I was given a lee loadall 2 about 6 years ago by a good friend of mine and Im yet to use it, not for lack of desire tho, it seems that every time i sit down and try to find cheap enough components i end up getting angry and swearing alot before forgetting about the whole idea of reloading for another 6months lol

I wonder if theres a way to easily tell which type of cartridge is which?

Cheers!

I reload 410 cases and now only Fiocchi BUT only once. I was recently witness to what you desribe when case heads separated and it was obvious the cases had been reloaded numerous times.  I have never had a case head separate and have shot my reloads now for six years.  Certainly with 410 then my advise is use Fiocchi and reload the cases just once.  I buy a slab of Fiocchi just to replace them and also have one or two kind friends who save their cases for me.

Resizing should keep the case integrity. I only ever reload once though because the crimps can begin to split and cause problems.  

9 minutes ago, SpaceWelder said:

Nice share!

I was given a lee loadall 2 about 6 years ago by a good friend of mine and Im yet to use it, not for lack of desire tho, it seems that every time i sit down and try to find cheap enough components i end up getting angry and swearing alot before forgetting about the whole idea of reloading for another 6months lol

Cheers!

If you look inside a shell the compression formed ones are one piece but the parallel tube type have a base wad which is like a thick washer seated in the bottom. Virtually all UK cases are parallel tube.

15 minutes ago, SpaceWelder said:

Nice share!

Cheers!

Welcome aboard and great first post :)
Move to 10 gauge or another rare gauge and the price of reloading will become worthwhile! 
I'd love a go at reloading, just can't see a cost benefit for 12g!

7 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

Resizing should keep the case integrity. I only ever reload once though because the crimps can begin to split and cause problems.  

If you look inside a shell the compression formed ones are one piece but the parallel tube type have a base wad which is like a thick washer seated in the bottom. Virtually all UK cases are parallel tube.

Good info, I was going to say I bet they're ok to reload once without a problem, but reloading them multiple times might just be asking for trouble.

1 minute ago, HantsRob said:

Welcome aboard and great first post :)
Move to 10 gauge or another rare gauge and the price of reloading will become worthwhile! 
I'd love a go at reloading, just can't see a cost benefit for 12g!

Thanks!
I shall one day delve into the big boy gauges but unfortunately I've already had to dismantle 2 of my guns just to fit them all in the safe. I've a talent for buying absolute BARGAIN guns (at least, that's what my wife thinks) but unfortunately i'll never make a good salesman so they just keep building up.....poor me whatever will i do :)

17 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Most cases used in the UK by the major cartridge makers aren't brass headed either. They are steel headed with a brass wash. The best quality cases are, as others also know, American cases for the reasons noted. Those and the fact that the brass head really is brass and not steel with a brass wash.

Begs the question how American manufacturers are able to use real brass, better quality cases and still charge less than we pay! (especially as of march this year what the bloody hell!)

I've used Kent Velocity for 'odd' shot sizes before, as the ultra thin plastic allows you to see the shot through it (good for buck or slug).   They reload fine.   They must be about the worst cases on the market.

I prefer Fiocchi 67mm cases though.  They last forever or so it seems.  Not suggesting anyone does the same, just my decision.

I reload for 12 gauge and fine Fiocchi cases are best for reloading, had some Rio cases from a clay club a few years ago and they where good also. In my opinion the crimp end of the case will start to split on the folds rendering the case useless for further reloading before any issue with the case base wad. I have never had a base wad separate and normally load cases until crimp area has a split.

With 12 gauge you will not save money reloading, but you will have loads in the pellet sizes and payload weight that you want. That's why I reload. 

On 09/10/2021 at 10:41, sitsinhedges said:

I very much doubt that.

No , they want you to buy the shells from them obviously.  I can understand them being a bit iffy about reloads because some people are not as fastidious and carefull ....does that mean the same.   If I finish a shell and it doesn't look right then it goes in the reject box and will be take apart and reusable bits will be put into the production line.

CPSA rules ban the use of home loads at CPSA registered competition.

I doubt anybody could tell the difference in noise between a 28gm and a 30gm or even 32gm load.
Grounds may restrict shot size, as I think CPSA do to size 6 due to pellet energy and fallout safety zone.

I doubt many could tell the difference between a probably made reload and a commercial cartridge.

Have shot at a lot of grounds for practice and have never been asked about what cartridges, other than restrictions on wad type, I am shooting they care about one thing that is taking your money.

Edited by rbrowning2