Fury vs Wilder III

chrisjpainter

I've just rewatched Episode II of this pantomime, so thought I might as well start the thread...

I'm really hoping It's a case of meet the third part, same as the second part and Fury outboxes him all round the ring again.

In my head there's always a nagging doubt that something will go terribly, terribly wrong!

Still. Fury and possibly inside the distance. Again

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Wilder has the heavier punch, but also think Fury has a better chin. Wilder can't outbox Fury and will have to rely on catching him with a big one.

Fury is allegedly coming in 20 pounds heavier than last time and I think he will manhandle Wilder and give him another beating. With Heavyweight boxing - one big punch and all bets are off.

I hope Fury does it. He seems to have cleaned up his act and comes across as a better person.

On 06/10/2021 at 22:05, chrisjpainter said:

I've just rewatched Episode II of this pantomime, so thought I might as well start the thread...

I'm really hoping It's a case of meet the third part, same as the second part and Fury outboxes him all round the ring again.

In my head there's always a nagging doubt that something will go terribly, terribly wrong!

Still. Fury and possibly inside the distance. Again

I've just read something trying to say Fury isn't in shape, and hasn't had a good camp, I'm hoping it's just smoke, he's beaten Wilder twice so other than a power punch catching Fury, then it should be Fury all the way.

And in a way I would like Fury to not fight AJ, be great if he just turned around and said there's no point, he's not good enough for me.

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've just read something trying to say Fury isn't in shape, and hasn't had a good camp, I'm hoping it's just smoke, he's beaten Wilder twice so other than a power punch catching Fury, then it should be Fury all the way.

And in a way I would like Fury to not fight AJ, be great if he just turned around and said there's no point, he's not good enough for me.

I wouldn't listen too much to that, fury is in a different league to wilder but he knows how dangerous he is, he's already felt his power and would be a fool to take him lightly. I expect he's put a fair bit of muscle on and is looking to stop him early. 

22 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Unless wilder catches fury with a lucky shot (it could happen, its heavyweight boxing and wilder is probably the biggest hitter the sport has ever seen), wilder is toast, he'll take a bigger beating this time than the last. 

Looking forwards to fury vs Usyk and AJ. 

Ernie Shavers, George Foreman, Sonny Liston, Ron Lyle, Gerry Cooney all had a better punch than Wilder to name the first to spring to mind.   Liston's jab was insane.   I think the danger comes from Wilders ability a decent punch from an odd angle.   As you say one lucky shot is all that it takes! 

Fury v Usyk would be good.   AJ will get walked over.  

I don't think either of them are as good as they think they are. Fury probably the best of a dreadful heavyweight era at the moment.

I'll be glad when this "trilogy" nonsense is over. There's only so many times people want to watch the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

Ernie Shavers, George Foreman, Sonny Liston, Ron Lyle, Gerry Cooney all had a better punch than Wilder to name the first to spring to mind.   Liston's jab was insane.   I think the danger comes from Wilders ability a decent punch from an odd angle.   As you say one lucky shot is all that it takes! 

Fury v Usyk would be good.   AJ will get walked over.  

Definitely some massive hitters in your list, not sure they were anymore devastating than wilder, particularly if you look at his stoppage stats, but it's a difficult thing to compare. 

I just want fury to get rid of him and watch some other fights now. Fury vs usyk would be an interesting one. 

2 hours ago, walshie said:

I don't think either of them are as good as they think they are. Fury probably the best of a dreadful heavyweight era at the moment.

I'll be glad when this "trilogy" nonsense is over. There's only so many times people want to watch the same thing. 

Having beaten him twice I don't see the need for a third fight, what's the point?

If it was one a piece then yes.

I think the danger comes from Wilders ability a decent punch from an odd angle. 

Nail on the head. He has also knocked over a whole lot with glass chins, which boosted his knockout percentage.

Looking through his record, the first name I recognised was in his 28th fight - Audley Harrison - enough said. He has fought Bermane Stiverne twice and Chris Arreola - both names - just. Luis Ortiz gave him a hard time in the first fight and wobbled him, in the 8th - from memory. Wilder was knocked out by a Russian amateur, so has not got the best chin.

He has a big punch and is unconventional - his two assets. Fury has the better chin, faster hands, faster feet, moves well for a heavyweight and has a decent boxing brain.

I sincerely hope justic is done. Boxers get beaten, but Wilder's list of bizarre excuses grows longer by the minute.

Edited by Gordon R

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Nail on the head. He has also knocked over a whole lot with glass chins, which boosted his knockout percentage.

Looking through his record, the first name I recognised was in his 28th fight - Audley Harrison - enough said. He has fought Bermane Stiverne twice and Chris arreola - both names - just. Luis Ortiz gave him a hard time in the first fight and wobbled him, in the 8th - from memory. Wilder was knocked out by a Russian amateur, so has not got the best chin.

He has a big punch and is unconventional - his two assets. Fury has the better chin, faster hands, faster feet, moves well for a heavyweight and has a decent boxing brain.

I sincerely hope justic is done. Boxers get beaten, but Wilder's list of bizarre excuses grows longer by the minute.

Just on your point about wilder, your right some of his fights have been against journey men and certainly less than top 10 opponents. However there's no doubt the guy is one of the heaviest hitters to ever walk the planet. Many of the other greats listed above have also fought lesser guys, particularly at the start of their careers, but the fact remains, wilder has the highest knock out percentage of any heavy weight boxer in history. It's easy to look back with Rose tinted glasses. 

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Just on your point about wilder, your right some of his fights have been against journey men and certainly less than top 10 opponents. However there's no doubt the guy is one of the heaviest hitters to ever walk the planet. Many of the other greats listed above have also fought lesser guys, particularly at the start of their careers, but the fact remains, wilder has the highest knock out percentage of any heavy weight boxer in history. It's easy to look back with Rose tinted glasses. 

Quite so. And I think it's one of the reasons Fury only boxed off the conventional in his second fight. He might be able to switch to southpaw and it's a very useful tactic, but with Wilder's power in the right, having a long left jab helped to neuter Wilder's ability to swing past it with that crushing wright.

It's smart by Fury, because he could have shown off with his range of boxing skills, but he kept his ego in check nicely and boxed with the right game plan, not the showy one.

More of the same please...

6 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite so. And I think it's one of the reasons Fury only boxed off the conventional in his second fight. He might be able to switch to southpaw and it's a very useful tactic, but with Wilder's power in the right, having a long left jab helped to neuter Wilder's ability to swing past it with that crushing wright.

It's smart by Fury, because he could have shown off with his range of boxing skills, but he kept his ego in check nicely and boxed with the right game plan, not the showy one.

More of the same please...

Good post, absolutely agree,and in fairness to fury, boxing someone with Wilders power, in his position, I'd do exactly the same, Wilders not the type of guy you want to get cocky with. 

The scorecard:
image.png.a64acc75ab10f046790c0d9e19edbce1.png

Could someone tell me how Pink only scored the 10th 10-9 to Fury? Fury knocked Wilder down, so that should be 10-8, as the other two had it. Even if Wilder came back to win the  round, that'd surely be 9-9, because he'd still have been knocked down, but Fury would drop one too. 10-9 doesn't make sense.