Churchills, Swinton,North Yorks

TRINITY

12 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Just wondering if any had been there or uses it regularly. I intended to pop along and have a look till I saw it was 44p per clay !!!

Just wondering if the 'clays' are finest bone China, because at that price I dont intend to visit to find out.

Go on a Monday, the clays are 25p

It's a lovely ground with some great presentations. I try and do the odd registered there. There's not much of a club house. Small reception, small shop and plenty of seating outside!

English Sporting clays filmed the british there on YouTube to give you an idea on what the ground looks like.

7 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Just wondering if any had been there or uses it regularly. I intended to pop along and have a look till I saw it was 44p per clay !!!

Just wondering if the 'clays' are finest bone China, because at that price I dont intend to visit to find out.

Its 35p per clay and 25p on Mondays.You were looking at the Wycombe tariff at 44p.

I've shot a few registered shoots there. It's a nice ground with some interesting and varied target presentations. I don't think they have the same presentations on non-registered shoot days, but I imagine it is the same setter.

Expect some tricky battues, clever chondels and high towers targets.

On 07/10/2021 at 08:43, TRINITY said:

Judging by my scores, they are made from finest kevlar lined rubber.

I've seen people complaining about the colour selection on some of the stands, especially the blue and green clays, but I've never had a problem seeing them. Hitting them is my problem.

If you can get there on a Monday for the 25p clays, then I would say it is well worth the cost and drive out. 

• 4 weeks later...

So my shooting buddy and I shot the Swinton estate yesterday our regular ground is Coniston, but we also like Thimbleby as a treat.

so as a quick feedback we shot 180 clays on the card plus a couple of coffees came to £50 we took a couple of shots at some of the game presentation so all in all shot just under a 100 carts each ( all red of course) we steered away from the compaq  stands and anything we hit straight of we moved on. Swapping first man in between stands. No scoring as this was what we call having a laugh shooting! My pal and I have both hit the 1/2 century so rather than a bottle of whisky or another shooting flask we decided that each year we would  celebrate ( not joining satan and his friends ) by visiting a new ‘Top Quality Shooting Ground’ Swinton hit this requirement head on 10/10. 

The lodge was small but it’s a relatively new ground the staff were welcoming and took one of our SGC’s in exchange as the of a clay card. 

all the stands were pristine and a printed sheet gave you indicated presentation of blue easy. Red intermediate and black hard our first comment to was that hardness all depends on shooters achilleas heal ( mine high incomers , shooting buddy long high rolling teals ) but this is a very VERY minor issue it did giv an indication of where the clay was coming from ( as most traps were obscured! )

there was a good mix of incomers crossers and everything in between and this takes me onto a stand out positive of this ground which is most stands there are not clays being presented to other stands in you peripheral vision and they use topography to confuse the that’s a given easy clay was far from it with us more than once scratching our heads and working together on how to get a kill !

As pointed out above 75 clays would have seen us shoot at everything apart from compaq so enough to keep you going all day if you wanted to take your time.

the stand out stand for us both was the tower high  incomer for me because I generally struggle and my pal as he is getting to grips with his new ( 110 year old Thomas Bland ) after swapping from his over and under so after nipping back go a few more shells (very very bright red & as we were definitely stopping at 75 !?! ) it was game on The A, B andC we’re driven of scaffolding up the banking so a guess elevation of 30 yards up and 25 to 30 yards back A and B were soon being taken cleanly after a bit of getting one’s eye in ! C was similar but a midi so launched at speed and did take some adjustments after the A and B so now the real fun D and E were from a cherry picker above the scaffolding ( they were crossed  out on the stand map )D was a normal clay that I could not see and E was a midi that set off like a missile. So I donned the spectacles and by the time  we finished there was us and two other shooting pairs’ comparing notes and having a giggle

this was another positive for us we are all for respecting others while they shoot but  happy to exchange pleasantries with fellow shooters offer encouragement and the odd joke ( usually our own expense) 

to sum up will we go back ‘ yes’  that’s a given but not sure I could warrant paying more than the Monday special prices when  somewhere like Thimbleby is a very close competitor  ( sorry I am just a tight ***** a Yorkshire Man ) . Make sure you eat before you go or take some grub if you are going to spend some time there. But as a special treat or if you don’t fall into tight Yorkshire man category go fill your boots I am almost sure you will really enjoy the ground and the shooting. Well done Churchills at Swinton as exchanging notes with fellow shooters on the day you have been classed as the premier ‘ Premier ‘ shooting ground of the north for us The fact we had 1 no bird on a 180 clays is another amazing achievement. 

I have not downloaded my shotcam footage but will stick a few stands up if I get chance 

ATB Agriv8 

Edited by Agriv8

Sculls Yes and no !

the original ( facing the tower ) towards centre has gone - due to noise complaints with a few stands ‘down the bottom ‘

It been replace by two simulated grouse stands to the right of the road as your about to enter the shooting ground. 1 is normal grouse and the other is fast grouse.

both have now got a real grouse presentation and even the echo zing if using a side by side. we usually finish up down on these and if we’re ‘on it’ shooting left and right as pairs separates the men from the boys !

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8
Typo

19 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Sculls Yes and no !

the original ( facing the tower ) towards centre has gone - due to noise complaints with a few stands ‘down the bottom ‘

It been replace by two simulated grouse stands to the right of the road as your about to enter the shooting ground. 1 is normal grouse and the other is fast grouse.

both have now got a real grouse presentation and even the echo zing if using a side by side. we usually finish up down on these and if we’re ‘on it’ shooting left and right as pairs separates the men from the boys !

Agriv8

Great stuff! We really must get back down there too! 
We were last down there right at the start of lockdown, in fact we were sat having a brew in the clubhouse when mate received the call to say he was furloughed, so it’s been a while. 
It’s a shame about the noise issues as it’s a ground I enjoy. 
Cheers. 👍