2 Million households will go into Heating Fuel Poverty this Winter, and about the same going to Food Banks, 21st Century Poverty

oldypigeonpopper

Hello, do Conservative Politicians realy give a stuff about the above,? They just give Councils 500 Million £££££sssss to help those loosing the £20 a week , so why not carry on giving the £20 as we all know the Council's will spend the least they can and use the surplus money to top up their expense claims, what say you PW members, 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The government should never have been so stupid as to dish out out the extra £20 at a time when everyone was spending less due to lockdown. Stunt politics at it's very worst IMO.

It was always inevitable that when it came time to withdraw it the leftie media would be all over it, calling it a benefit cut and wheeling out an endless succession of single mothers, all claiming to be in dire financial straits. 

7 minutes ago, Westward said:

The government should never have been so stupid as to dish out out the extra £20 at a time when everyone was spending less due to lockdown. Stunt politics at it's very worst IMO.

It was always inevitable that when it came time to withdraw it the leftie media would be all over it, calling it a benefit cut and wheeling out an endless succession of single mothers, all claiming to be in dire financial straits. 

That sums it up nicely.  :good:

11 minutes ago, Westward said:

Body piercing seems to be a growth industry among benefit claimants too.

when your a single mum sleeping in your clothes to keep warm eating your children’s leftovers to survive while you sit in the dark terrified to put a light on in case your partner has found you the last thing I begrudge them is a piercing 

What happened to personal responsibility?

How many in receipt of benefits smoke, have smart phones, big TV, bag of weed in the cupboard?

Kids that go hungry because the parents have spent all their benefits on alcohol and drugs?

Single mum, kids by different dads that don't pay a penny?

I'm fed up of hearing about "poverty" when most of it is poor life choices and fecklessness!

There's no shortage of work available for those that can drag themselves off the sofa and go.

But as always, it's someone else's fault (Tory scum probably).

Go on, tell me I'm heartless. 

I don't care, I'm going back to the beer I earned with 12 hours of graft today.

3 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

How many in receipt of benefits smoke, have smart phones, big TV, bag of weed in the cupboard?

Kids that go hungry because the parents have spent all their benefits on alcohol and drugs?

I'm fed up of hearing about "poverty" when most of it is poor life choices and fecklessness!

There's no shortage of work available for those that can drag themselves off the sofa and go.

Amen!

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

as we all know

Sound bite rhetoric

3 hours ago, Westward said:

IMO

Yeah and?

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That sums it up nicely

See first reply

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Plenty of truck driving jobs going apparently and tattoo artists seem to be doing OK.

Crass stupidity, how many can pay to do the course? I believe Mingler, GRRClark  and plenty of other professionals here have tats too

38 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

What happened to social responsibility?

10 minutes ago, henry d said:

Sound bite rhetoric

Yeah and?

See first reply

Crass stupidity, how many can pay to do the course? I believe Mingler, GRRClark  and plenty of other professionals here have tats too

What happened to social responsibility?

having heard the details of how a recent client was so desperate at being left with 26p in her purse she slashed both wrists obviously social responsibility now comprises of snide remarks at those less fortunate 

4 hours ago, Westward said:

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

That's spot on, if you are in such a bad situation that £20 a week makes that much difference then you should be taking a serious look at how you live.

31 minutes ago, henry d said:

believe Mingler, GRRClark  and plenty of other professionals here have tats too

And your point is? There will be plenty out there who are in genuine need of help, then there will be those who smoke, have a fancy mobile and expensive contract, probably paying for Prime or Netflix maybe Sky.

These things along with tattoos are perks you enjoy when everything else is paid for.

Never mind having more kids than you can afford to raise then moaning when others won't help you out.

watched a bloke last night on the news     sold his house    drove a jag   two chubby kids  and -£20 he couldn't afford to drive his kids to school   

ill help anyone          ive worked in social houses   not all the same  some palaces with pride          some the mangiest  pits with all the latest gear  and slabs of beer     scamming the system         gear i haven't got the time to watch     couldn't justify paying that much as i work hard  for my £            when i left  southern  Ireland in the late 70s   if you were on the dole you had to do two weeks work in your community  as      stone masons  gardeners  arborists  and all other building trades   inc cleaning graffiti        to get a months dole        not a handout           no work no dole        the other two weeks looking for work    if you missed any of your days in the two weeks  community  you had to make it up     or loose all        and the system gave pride and skills   not a handout  and were to use as a stopgap to the next job    it worked well         families that work their buts off and cant make ends meet its hard            in the early 80s   mortgage went from 7% to 16%      wages dropped by more than half      mrs pregnant    i worked 7 days a week  and jobs on the side every evening  to make ends meet    i didnt know what day or time it was  for three years no holidays etc  we went without all  jolly's       the fridge full      mrs and kids looked after       we never took a penny 

I honestly think its all about attitude youth of today think there better than they are " Im not doing that "  Im not doing that for that " It will never happen but i would love to see you haven't put into into the system you get nothing out . With covid we have seen all prices rise and there going to get worse i dont think we will ever declare this country bankrupt but how big will  the national debt get will it ever be paid off ?. Then when income tax and vat rise how many folk working will throw in the towel and join the ranks of the unemployed ?.

One of the biggest impediments to mothers, especially single mothers going out to work is the cost of childcare. When my wife had our first born she stopped work altogether as all her wage would have went on childcare. Only now that our kids are 9 and nearly 7 is she able to venture out to work again, reason being she got a job in a school which means she gets their holidays too.

I know people having to spend a grand a month on childcare yet their was some government to give people on the dole free access to childcare...why? They are at home anyway.

People that think £20 a week isn't much money need to give their head a shake. Many a time me and my missus have been down to our last £20 the week before payday and that has managed to cover a good bit of basics to get thru the week.

I don't agree with free money handouts to people that don't want to work, but I think the government needs to find better ways of getting parents access to more work by aiding the childcare situation.

14 hours ago, clangerman said:

when your a single mum sleeping in your clothes to keep warm eating your children’s leftovers to survive while you sit in the dark terrified to put a light on in case your partner has found you the last thing I begrudge them is a piercing 

To an extent I don't begrudge it either. What I do begrudge is when a single mother appears on TV, squealing about "Benefit Cuts" whilst having at least 10 piercings on her face and ears, undoubtedly paid for by Joe Soap the taxpayer one way or another, and at the same time rendering her virtually unemployable.

4 minutes ago, Westward said:

To an extent I don't begrudge it either. What I do begrudge is when a single mother appears on TV, squealing about "Benefit Cuts" whilst having at least 10 piercings on her face and ears, undoubtedly paid for by Joe Soap the taxpayer one way or another, and at the same time rendering her virtually unemployable.

that’s just gov hype to conceal the clown club have made it pay better to be two singles rather than live as a couple daughter used to lead benefits team most of what you hear is lies to scape goat clients for gov failures when she caught clients up to no good they didn’t even get prosecuted 

I know quite a few folk with loads of tattoos and body piercings, who live on benefits. They spend their lives doing a bit of voluntary work in charity shops and getting drunk of a weekend, and smoking the odd joint, and that’s it. 
I’m not sure why people resent it, unless thats the sort of lifestyle you aspire to of course. 
My daughter also has tattoos and piercings, but works long hours for her income. Tattoos or piercings aren’t indicative of a life on the dole. 

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Whoooooo we wound old Henry up didn't we. Diddums then

Almost everyone else here knows your tats reference was about some people pleading poverty while spending money on non essentials like tats, beer, smokes, big screens, latest mobiles, trendy clothes, takeaways/deliveries yada yada but tats seemed a superb coverall. 

Edited by Dave-G

19 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Almost everyone else here knows your tats reference was about some people pleading poverty while spending money on non essentials like tats, beer, smokes, big screens, latest mobiles, trendy clothes, takeaways/deliveries yada yada but tats seemed a superb coverall. 

Doesn’t that happen throughout every walk of life though? I meet farmers on an almost daily basis who claim ‘aye, thus nee money in farming   nowadays’ while leaning out of the window of his wife’s runaround….a Range Rover Sport or an Audi Q8.  😀

The only ones I know who have a genuine claim to plead poverty are those actually desperately trying to find work that they can live off. 
Like I’ve said, I know plenty on benefits through choice, but I’ve never heard them complain about it as it’s their choice. 
Surely the ones to blame are the government, and I mean ANY government.

You can hardly blame folk for taking advantage of a system which provides; poor do it at one end of the scale and those in power do it at the other end. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Scully said:

You can hardly blame folk for taking advantage of a system which provides

That is true, but I think the (long term) complaint from the general taxpayer is that IF someone makes a deliberate choice to live on benefits handouts, then they level of handouts should be very basic. 

In other words, take that option for an 'essentials only' life.  Essentials are food, accommodation, heating, but not alcohol, subscription TV, and other discretionary spending.

If someone is on benefits for reasons that are not choice (e.g., the disabled, unwell, old age and genuine jobseekers, short term unemployed, etc), a more generous package is appropriate.

I agree that the system is wrong and it should;

• provide good support and a decent quality of life to the genuinely needy
  • provide only a basic (safety net) support to the lazy, feckless and bone idle.

Those in genuine need should be well supported, but living off the hard work of others should not be an attractive lifestyle choice.