Actual cost per unit kW / standing charge of price cap ?

30-6

If the price cap relates to the maximum price for units used and daily standing charge for medium usage with an average size family, and given as an annual figure, what is this cap in pence for the units and standing charge ?

I have looked and can find no figures.

How many households fall into the average use band.

just been forced to EDF after Utility Point failed. Still waiting to find out how much we will be ripped of for on the standard tariff.

We use more than the average so bound to see a huge increase from our UP fixed tariff.

I am with EDF after the last company collapsed 6 months previous, they could not show me a bill due to not knowing what i had used. 

The email they received beginning of September gave them the information together with  question, how come i know what i have used and you dont? all meter reading had been given. Unfortunately now i cant move to another cheaper supplier. 

7 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I am with EDF after the last company collapsed 6 months previous, they could not show me a bill due to not knowing what i had used. 

The email they received beginning of September gave them the information together with  question, how come i know what i have used and you dont? all meter reading had been given. Unfortunately now i cant move to another cheaper supplier. 

Hello, was that with green energy ? I am over to EDF and not been asked for a Meter reading since, not easy to phone and email what is going on ,

I have for several years used comparison sites at renewal time to get 'quotes'.  I was offered various options, the cheapest of which were always companies I had never heard of (and often had very 'mixed' reviews).  I always signed up with a slightly larger better known (Flow, Co-operative, Octopus) supplier who had good reviews for customer service - and have been pleased with them, and though not 'the cheapest', have been not much more and still much cheaper than the mainstream majors.

Of the cheapest companies I was offered and 'passed' - at least 3 have failed.

By pure good luck rather than any skill/knowledge - I signed up to a 24 month fixed price deal in May 21 lasting to end May 23.  It seemed a bit expensive at the time (20% up on previous year), but it was reassuring to know what I would have to pay per unit for 2 years.  I am now really glad I did this as it now looks cheap ......... as long as this company doesn't go out of business.

I listened to a programme on the radio and if it was correct 40% of your gas bill was actually the chafge for gas used the rest of the bill was made up of various tarrifs and taxes that go to government. So it would be easy enough for the upcoming rise to be softened. Also as nearly all electricity suppliers claim to be 100% renewable does that mean the cost of sunshine and wind has risen.

Edited by bostonmick

24 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Also as nearly all electricity suppliers claim to be 100% renewable does that mean the cost of sunshine and wind has risen.

Unfortunately it is far more complicated situation and not always known to a consumer, unless the right questions are asked.

The world is trading carbon offset from one industry to another.

“ In practice this means that suppliers could purchase fossil fuel power but sell it as a green tariff or 100% renewable energy!”

heavy read;

https://www.ukgbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Renewable-Energy-Procurement-Carbon-Offsetting-Guidance-for-Net-Zero-Carbon-Buildings.pdf

A large part of your bill is of course, Green subsidy:

"The total annual renewables subsidy impact on UK household cost of living is £9 billion — which comes to £340 per year per household."

https://www.thegwpf.com/current-costs-of-british-renewables-subsidies-per-household/

Most of these subsidies go to wind farms where basically they are paid for how much the "could" produce, not how much they do.  In addition the amount paid to them "the giant 588 MW Beatrice of the North East coast of Scotland, which only became fully operational in the summer of 2019, has a CfD strike price of £140/MWh now worth £158.73/MWh, roughly three times the wholesale price,"

Wind farms get paid 3 times what the consumer is charged and our taxes pay the difference, and this is 2019,

RS

Funnily enough I also looked at the capped unit price bet could only find the total average usage cap cost. 

I have just been moved to British Gas and my cost on the special ‘peoples tariff’ is well above my old fixed and I assume about bang on the cap.

standing - 23p odd a day

gas 4p odd a kw

elec  21p odd a kw 

I think it was said that the cap cost is cheaper than any fixed rate available - if the companies are taking customers on, a lot are not 

Edited by ph5172

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, was that with green energy ? I am over to EDF and not been asked for a Meter reading since, not easy to phone and email what is going on ,

Scottish power. 

Just received another letter this morning pleading to get me to have a smart meter fitted. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Smart Meters are fine as long as you dictate how they are used!

I pay £30 per month for both gas and electricity, I will only ever pay for what I use.

If it gets down to the point where I am getting down to being in debt I throw £40 in electronically.

Are you some sort of Hermit TC? Do you read by candlelight.

We run at £80-90 in elec only in the summer season and you don’t want to know how much our ASHP is costing per month in the winter. 
Hopefully this winter will cost less as we have made many adjustments to it that the installers couldn’t be bothered to do. 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Are you some sort of Hermit TC? Do you read by candlelight.

I was thinking that.  I am told my house is like an 'icebox' in winter - and yet I spend approx £115 a month on gas and electricity combined averaged over the year - but on a cold winters day if I do have to have the whole house warm(ish) it can approach £10 a day.  Electricity is a fairly constant 12 - 14 KWhr per day, and gas varies from minimal in the summer to maybe 250 KWhr to heat the whole house on a cold windy winter day.  Boiler on full chat burns 42KW, so about £1.60 an hour.

But it is quite a big listed building, though fairly well insulated for it's age and type.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Smart Meters are fine as long as you dictate how they are used!

I pay £30 per month for both gas and electricity, I will only ever pay for what I use.

If it gets down to the point where I am getting down to being in debt I throw £40 in electronically.

OMG. My break even point over the year, paying monthly is £251 a month. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, I just refuse to heat the house when it is empty! 

Oh and my house is insulated with lots of cartridges! :good:

Are you ever there 🤔?? Even when I lived alone in a 2 bed house I was paying £70 odd a month if I recall…..£30 is firmly in tightwad territory 😂

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, I just refuse to heat the house when it is empty! 

Oh and my house is insulated with lots of cartridges! :good:

Hello, same as when I am at farm or doodling some where heating is off, it's takes no time to heat up where I live, kitchen and airing cupboard rads never on, bathroom only when required, as for cartridges I expect your past my numbers if you keep buying job lots off PW 🤔😁

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, same as when I am at farm or doodling some where heating is off, it's takes no time to heat up where I live, kitchen and airing cupboard rads never on, bathroom only when required, as for cartridges I expect your past my numbers if you keep buying job lots off PW 🤔😁

Yes you've got the right idea, kitchen radiator has never been on in 17 years, bathroom radiator is only on when I am in there for more than 5 minutes.

When I shave and shower in the morning, I put the heating on for a full 25 minutes, just to bring it up to 20 degrees, if it gets there quickly it turns itself off. All really very simple to set up.

I no longer have an airing cupboard since having a boiler change last year, I use the space below the boiler for storage.

Rest of the house is doors closed and radiators off unless I have visitors staying like I do now.

The cartridges along with good loft insulation and my neighbours heating their houses seems to work. I live in the mid terrace of three houses.

I am currently on a fixed rate deal and will have to search for the best deal to replace it in February 2022, I strongly suspect I may struggle to find a good deal, but that is all part of the game!

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok mine was green energy, far better than EDF, I will never have a smart Meter unless its made compulsory 

Not sure why you fear the Smart Meter quite so much.

It simply tells your energy company how much you are using and you will not have to overpay like we used to based on average "guessed" readings.

36 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not sure why you fear the Smart Meter quite so much.

It simply tells your energy company how much you are using and you will not have to overpay like we used to based on average "guessed" readings.

I fear it for this reason;

Currently I am on a fixed price deal - (very fortunately it seems at present) fixed in May 21 running for 24 months.  When I signed up, I did have doubts as it looked a bit expensive, but gave me 'predictability'.  I like to know where I am.  Now it is looking very good indeed!  The alternative would have been a variable tariff, which currently would be a great deal more than I am 'fixed' at.

One of the 'aims' with a smart meter is that a variable tariff can be varied very rapidly indeed - potentially many times a day.  Over the last couple of weeks, there would have been some eye watering 'spot' prices.  I am not clear at all on how (or indeed IF) this is managed in a smartly variable tariff to limit the maximum and minimum 'per unit' charges.  For example, I am currently paying approx 3.25 p per KWhr of gas (plus a standing charge), but the spot price has been MUCH higher than that I believe.

It is my understanding that at present you can still have a similar fixed tariff with a smart meter, but whether that remains an option long term is not guaranteed.  That is my 'fear'. 

I will get a smart meter (If offered) at some stage as I believe in the longer term, 'non smart' tariff s will get penalised to try and coerce people to smart meters.

On the news this morning the government has agreed to put yet another levy on gas bills for some green thing .they really are taking the **** big time.they said it would take generations to pay for the cost of covid i reckon the way they are hiking taxes they want to get it back before the end of the year