wood burner recommendations

paul1966

we are going out tomorrow looking at wood burners, our budget is about 1K could go a little bit more. Are the any makes we should avoid or are they all pretty much the same? any features we should look for? We are going to a local place that's been recommended by a few people to see what they have.

We had a new one this year and fitted a Charnwood island 1 and I’m really impressed with build quality and controls. The one thing I had forgotten is don’t wait for a cold night to run it for the first time….. we did and the paint cures filling the place with smoke.  Had I remembered I would have run it up in summer

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

100%  this time of year mine is on 24/ 7 I buy 2 bags of Barnwell lasts nearly 3 weeks . That's about 12 pounds a week . It's very good 

Are your calculations correct 🤔

Just less than 2lb of fuel per day?

Sorry  you meant £££

Edited by harrycatcat1

7 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Are your calculations correct 🤔

Just less than 2lb of fuel per day?

Sorry  you meant £££

Harry yes its burnwell coal   very slow burning at £17 a bag so two backs £ 34 and just under 3 weeks , when it get a  lot more colder a bit more maybe . Not quite a shower full at bed time . Stove turned down  open up in the morning quick rake with the poker and away it goes . It's the best stove we have had . When I was fitter I used to cut logs and burn them , but happy the way we are doing it now . 

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

we are going out tomorrow looking at wood burners, our budget is about 1K could go a little bit more. Are the any makes we should avoid or are they all pretty much the same? any features we should look for? We are going to a local place that's been recommended by a few people to see what they have.

I just noticed where you are, if the right side have a look here, that who I used

https://www.arpeetstoves.co.uk/home/

16 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

We have had an Aarrow for three years and very happy with it. Had to repaint a small corner last year but otherwise no problems. Recommend one or two recirculating fans subject to size. Ours burns both coal eggs or wood. Chimney swept every year.

My mother has had an Aarrow in her house for 20 years now

I have a westfire 1 series had it 7 or 8 years and its great. Very very efficient. Better than any I've had in the family before. If I burn coal it makes a bag last about a week or so which I found remarkable. Decent hard wood will go through the night and have enough embers in the morning to fire it up again. Puts out a lot of heat and looks nice. What's not to like. 

33 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Harry yes its burnwell coal   very slow burning at £17 a bag so two backs £ 34 and just under 3 weeks , when it get a  lot more colder a bit more maybe . Not quite a shower full at bed time . Stove turned down  open up in the morning quick rake with the poker and away it goes . It's the best stove we have had . When I was fitter I used to cut logs and burn them , but happy the way we are doing it now . 

Sounds good coal👍

When it gets to this time of year I try to cut three wheelbarrows full of wood per day to store for when it gets cold. I have a fair bit stored.

I've got an Aarrow that I got secondhand off a mate,I fitted it 15 years ago. Lasting well.

I've got an Aga Wenlock stove as a spare that I think looks robust.

I'd look for a good spares back up.

These things dont last forever without maintaining them.

Door ropes need replacing every few years, fire bricks dont last forever.

Consider your fuel source, I'm fortunate that I can always lay my hands on fallen trees/branches, will you be buying wood or sourcing your own?

53 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Yep, we found Excel coal to be the best. Ours was lit continuously day and night for 3 months and only emptied the ash about every 5 or 6 days.

I've not heard of that one.  Supertherm is what I use and it's the same in terms of keeping a fire in.  I let it go overnight, clear the ash in the morning and theres enough embers to get it going again nicely