wood burner recommendations

paul1966

We have two Clearview stoves a large model and a smaller one. Brilliant pieces of kit. I think the large model is one of the very first that Clearview made a we purchased it at the West Mids Game fair back in 1990.  The only maintenace needed was the renewal of the door seals  which was a simple job after about twenty years.  They where the first to produce the airflow type of stove and the competition quickly followed the trend.

1 hour ago, Zapp said:

I've not heard of that one.  Supertherm is what I use and it's the same in terms of keeping a fire in.  I let it go overnight, clear the ash in the morning and theres enough embers to get it going again nicely 

I first came across it when I lived on a narrow boat for a bit, it was pretty much the only coal most people used. I pay £7 per 20kg bag.

http://www.oxbowcoal.com/products-and-services/1

Right so we went to AR Peet stoves and had a look around, chap there was very helpful, we have decided on a burner made by Town & Country fires who are from Yorkshire, its the Saltburn eco model, its multi fuel and takes 30cm logs. So the next question is now i have removed the coal fire and opened up the chimney do i clean up the brickwork or do something else with it? i also need to sort a hearth out and the flue, has anyone had one of those flue kits of ebay? 

DSC_0405.jpg

4 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Right so we went to AR Peet stoves and had a look around, chap there was very helpful, we have decided on a burner made by Town & Country fires who are from Yorkshire, its the Saltburn eco model, its multi fuel and takes 30cm logs. So the next question is now i have removed the coal fire and opened up the chimney do i clean up the brickwork or do something else with it? i also need to sort a hearth out and the flue, has anyone had one of those flue kits of ebay? 

DSC_0405.jpg

The guy who installed ours used Hathaway bricks but cut the faces and used them as brick slips 421D527F-A435-4F30-B669-608A2FD0DF8C.jpeg.49147e6822962a2e7d73942ca2785966.jpeg

3996BB97-D045-4FC1-9E3A-31E0E40ABFCF.jpeg

Edited by elgreco

1 hour ago, elgreco said:

The guy who installed ours used Hathaway bricks but cut the faces and used them as brick slips 421D527F-A435-4F30-B669-608A2FD0DF8C.jpeg.49147e6822962a2e7d73942ca2785966.jpeg

3996BB97-D045-4FC1-9E3A-31E0E40ABFCF.jpeg

That looks good mate, the trouble i have is that i have exactly 150mm as per the regulations each side of the stove to the wall so i can't stick anything on top as it will make it narrower, i think i am going to clean up whats there and either paint it or leave natural. Is that slate for the hearth? i am thinking of using the same. 

Hi yes it’s oiled slate on the hearth, that’ll be why he was grunting and muttering when I asked for the brick slips as he had to open it up a bit more to get the fireboard and slips either side. I’ve just measured and have 160mm either side. This was what he had to work with

D657419B-5C82-4610-8F0A-8744E06A5B1E.jpeg

For some reason that photo is upside down. 

Edited by elgreco

8 hours ago, paul1966 said:

DSC_0405.jpg

Paul I would just concrete  render it leave it rough paint , were you locate the stove bring it as far forward on the hearth as you can .  This will throw more heat into the room . The further back the heat will be lost into the brick work. Invest in a stove fan they work great . Are you fitting a stainless liner..

19 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Paul I would just concrete  render it leave it rough paint , were you locate the stove bring it as far forward on the hearth as you can .  This will throw more heat into the room . The further back the heat will be lost into the brick work. Invest in a stove fan they work great . Are you fitting a stainless liner..

Yes John i will need to fit a liner, that's another conundrum 316 or 904, its a multifuel stove so we might burn coal but the majority of the time it will be wood so i am leaning towards getting a decent brand of 316.

14 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Yes John i will need to fit a liner, that's another conundrum 316 or 904, its a multifuel stove so we might burn coal but the majority of the time it will be wood so i am leaning towards getting a decent brand of 316.

Paul I am trying to think were I got mine from I got the hole kit from them , depends if it 5 inch or 6 inch .I was lucky as I have a bungalow so only just under 5 meters , and it depends on how chimney wall is I  diameter  , we had to chip a bit of walkout to get it past a bend in the brickwork . I made a plate to block the lower part just above the fire  got some slabs from Jewsons to make a fire hearth  and made my own surround  out of MDF. All nice and cosy 

20211011_102007.jpg

Had a Hunter Hawk 4 in my old house for 12 years, burnt all sorts on it. For a cheapie it done what was asked and would stay in all night, one bad yr I ran it for a few months non stop and only kept the rads on in the bedrooms. The current tenant has damaged the back plate by not siting it correctly after cleaning it. I’d have another without question but my current house has a back boiler and would cost a fortune to change(one for the near future).

I have a Esse 5kw sat in my garage ready. I’d cleanup the brickwork, repoint and seal it.

On 08/10/2021 at 20:16, oscarsdad said:

I'm not too far from you, and I'm planning on installing a stove at some point so thought I'd take a look at the link.  They look a good firm, I have to say.

There's one thing on their website that both baffles me and cracks me up in equal measures!  On their FAQs page they have a question...

"I'm in a smokeless zone, can I still have a woodburning stove?"

... and the answer contains a web link which takes you to a site selling cannabis oils for vaping!!?!  Someone's having a bit of a laugh! 😂

2 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I'm not too far from you, and I'm planning on installing a stove at some point so thought I'd take a look at the link.  They look a good firm, I have to say.

There's one thing on their website that both baffles me and cracks me up in equal measures!  On their FAQs page they have a question...

"I'm in a smokeless zone, can I still have a woodburning stove?"

... and the answer contains a web link which takes you to a site selling cannabis oils for vaping!!?!  Someone's having a bit of a laugh! 😂

My log burner is DEFRA approved for use in a smokeless zone as long as you fit the adapter. 
The adapter is an ordinary washer that fits under the vent handle to stop you fully closing the vent.