Fracking for gas.

B725

I think the government needs to massively invest in an alternative. Gas prices will always be liable to wild fluctuations and we will always be at the mercy of Russia or others blocking supply as fracking alone will not provide all the gas we need. 

Like many industries in this country, anything essential should be where possible, produced in country, providing good jobs for British workers and protecting the UK from bully boy tactics. 

47 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I am 100% anti wind power, solar power and all the rest of these renewables. Save for the fact that it will end the political leverage it gives to Putin and to the loathsome Saudi Arabian ruling dynasty. 

Solar on residential property is a brilliant idea, its definitely not the only solution but could form a brilliant part of it. 

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Solar on residential property is a brilliant idea, its definitely not the only solution but could form a brilliant part of it. 

I've just looked at solar pv at home I sent the spec to an M&E designer friend of mine, and as the export funding is so low it would not be cost effective for me. 

Fracking would only supply gas at the margins i.e. at 5% of what we use annually, when we import over 40% of our gas at present.

The answer is being self sufficient in energy and ideally producing a surplus, therefore local prices can be kept low.

Molten Salt Nuclear reactors (80% electrical base load) and renewables (20%) are the way forward, what's left of the UK's coal, gas and oil best kept for manufacturing where they are very difficult to substitute.

3 hours ago, B725 said:

What with the huge rise in gas price's is it now not time to start fracking for gas and cheaper energy?

Hell yeah.

My old man is old enough to have seen the Battle of Britain as an evacuated child, and he always said that a country needs to be able to arm itself and feed itself. 

We can add ‘energy’ to that list and the predictions are according to the press we’re about to be reminded that our food supply chain isn’t as robust as it should be.

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I am 100% anti wind power, solar power and all the rest of these renewables. Save for the fact that it will end the political leverage it gives to Putin and to the loathsome Saudi Arabian ruling dynasty. 

Couldn’t agree more.

We need small scale nuclear and over multiple sites but they will take a decade plus to come on line and current lunacy suggests that we should be getting the Chinese to build them for us.

***** now to fill the gap. 

1 hour ago, redial said:

What chance of just reducing the VAT on gas.

And that will open a budget deficit somewhere else and a new / different tax. 

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

Why can't they put pv's on all new builds, surely the small cost compared to buying a new house is insignificant.

Indeed. All new cars have seat belts. All passenger liners have lifeboats. Make a thing mandatory and all must do it by law that cost comes out of the profits elsewise your price is no longer at a desirable price point. The Swiss did it with new build requiring nuclear bunkers.