Extendable Ladder

steve_b_wales

Are these worth a punt? Cheaper than other companies but I'm not sure about the quality. Based in UK according to their address, and come with a guarantee. I only want one for odd jobs around the house etc.

https://www.buffsale.co.uk/products/telescoping-extendable-ladder?fbclid=IwAR0Hds-eHHe6O1Xo73RjlZ6lJpJ0SnIgaTnQQMvBCfx70WiHO6ENSTg6Dkc

Depends how high you want to go really. I’ve used a clients indoors but I wouldn’t buy them. Although stable enough, they are Very heavy and tend to ‘sag’ a bit the higher you go. 
Have never used them outdoors, and wouldn’t be too keen to be honest, given what else is available. 

I have a set as well as traditional ladders.

I use them for heights above stepladders and for ease of use.They are heavy but very handy.They were great for painting the hall stairs and landing due to the adjustable height.For outside the house painting,brickwork,gutters I use the traditional ladders.They are handy to have though as they fit in the car boot.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Depends how high you want to go really. I’ve used a clients indoors but I wouldn’t buy them. Although stable enough, they are Very heavy and tend to ‘sag’ a bit the higher you go. 
Have never used them outdoors, and wouldn’t be too keen to be honest, given what else is available. 

I would buy the 6mtr one. They are 'supposed' to be lightweight. I would use them for going on top of my shed etc. Probably only get used 2-3 times a year. I'm just wondering if they are of a good quality. Payment can be made via Paypal, which is there's a problem, tend to side with the buyer.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would buy the 6mtr one. They are 'supposed' to be lightweight. I would use them for going on top of my shed etc. Probably only get used 2-3 times a year. I'm just wondering if they are of a good quality. Payment can be made via Paypal, which is there's a problem, tend to side with the buyer.

The ones I used were sturdy enough, and seemed good quality, although I don’t know the make.

We have one. They're excellent if space is limited around the house, but as others have said, the longer they are, the more rocky they get. It's also pretty easy to miss a clip not being put in fully. That can cause on side to sag slightly, pushing your weight over to one side and then...yeahhhh gravity rather muscles in on the party.

I think ours is one of the better ones you can get, but even so I wouldn't want to be on one at 5m+

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have one, not quite the same as that - and did cost quite a lot more.  I agree with heavy, slightly 'saggy', but in so many instances, very very convenient.  I don't think I'd be very happy on a 15m one!

Just checked mine - it is 3.8 metre and weighs about 13 Kg.  Made by Telesteps - who are Swedish, though I doubt it was made in Sweden!  It is very solidly made, but from distant memory (I have had it for many years) - it cost a LOT more that those.

31 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm not sure if it's a measure of the quality of them Steve,  but I see lots of them put out for the scrap men when I'm on my rounds at work.

That's what I thought about them, Mel. I'm not going to bother now. Plus, I sent an email to them earlier, and it bounced back!!!!

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

That's what I thought about them, Mel. I'm not going to bother now. Plus, I sent an email to them earlier, and it bounced back!!!!

I've never fancied the look of them to be honest . Being a fat Lad puts me off wobbly ladders 😊

Get the slightest ding in the side and they are scrap as they won't retract or extend

i use Little Giant ladders, same as used on traffic light repair. They are the dogs back wheels, bombproof and a lifetime guarantee. Can even be split into 2 smaller trestles to put a plank on or make a work bench

not the cheapest BUT the most versatile.  Looking for some 1000Volt rated ones but they are a tad pricey at moment so will stick with the fibreglass steps

I have investigated two accidents involving this type of ladder. In both instances  the internal catches failed and the ladders collapsed, in the one accident the persons leg was caught between the collapsed treads and he suffered a badly broken leg.

there is no way to visually inspect the inside of the ladder to check for wear on the catches that hold the rungs in the open position. They are dangerous, cheaply made in China with no regard to users safety🤔

10 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Are these worth a punt? Cheaper than other companies but I'm not sure about the quality. Based in UK according to their address, and come with a guarantee. I only want one for odd jobs around the house etc.

https://www.buffsale.co.uk/products/telescoping-extendable-ladder?fbclid=IwAR0Hds-eHHe6O1Xo73RjlZ6lJpJ0SnIgaTnQQMvBCfx70WiHO6ENSTg6Dkc

We have a set of these for surveying at work, not intended to work off just give emergency access if you turn up somewhere after 2 hours drive and there are no ladders to get onto a roof or ceiling void etc. Handy to have in the boot, but even though I’m relatively slim and under 100kg these are grim to use. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

We have a set of these for surveying at work, not intended to work off just give emergency access if you turn up somewhere after 2 hours drive and there are no ladders to get onto a roof or ceiling void etc. Handy to have in the boot, but even though I’m relatively slim and under 100kg these are grim to use. 

I'm not going to bother with them now.

Thanks for your opinion.

1 hour ago, Stuarta said:

I have investigated two accidents involving this type of ladder. In both instances  the internal catches failed and the ladders collapsed, in the one accident the persons leg was caught between the collapsed treads and he suffered a badly broken leg.

there is no way to visually inspect the inside of the ladder to check for wear on the catches that hold the rungs in the open position. They are dangerous, cheaply made in China with no regard to users safety🤔

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Dougy said:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Youngman-S400-6-Tread-Fibreglass-Stepladder/p/185917

I bought these after my old steel ones were past there best. I do have 1/2 of a collapsible i use to put trial cameras in trees too high to pinch, but they were more substantial and catches are visible 

:good:

I’ve used 3 metre ones and 5 metre ones for survey work. You need to treat them with respect and not use them in the rain . Don’t use them for dusty dirty work or they’ll jamb. I’ve still got an old one 20+ years. . Can’t see how you could possibly get to 15 metres with one and I certainly wouldn’t want to be that high on one!