Channel Migrants

ditchman

Well I never!

From an AOL article;

The Paris prosecutor’s office has said it has received a manslaughter lawsuit for failure to help in the tragic capsizing last month of a boat in the Channel that cost the lives of at least 27 people trying to reach Britain.

The manslaughter lawsuit, filed on Friday by the French humanitarian organisation Utopia 56, accuses the maritime prefect of the Channel and North Sea, the Regional Operational Centre for Surveillance and Rescue of Gris-Nez in the Pas-de-Calais and the British Coastguard of not doing enough to prevent the deaths.

Utopia 56 said it “intends that investigations be carried out to determine the responsibilities of the French and British rescue services in this tragedy”, adding that the people were abandoned “despite calls to the English and French rescue services”.

Nikolai Posner, a spokesman for Utopia 56, told The Associated Press on Monday that the lawsuit also intended to “remind our governments that it is urgent to question the policies at our borders, which take human lives every day”.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I never!

From an AOL article;

The Paris prosecutor’s office has said it has received a manslaughter lawsuit for failure to help in the tragic capsizing last month of a boat in the Channel that cost the lives of at least 27 people trying to reach Britain.

The manslaughter lawsuit, filed on Friday by the French humanitarian organisation Utopia 56, accuses the maritime prefect of the Channel and North Sea, the Regional Operational Centre for Surveillance and Rescue of Gris-Nez in the Pas-de-Calais and the British Coastguard of not doing enough to prevent the deaths.

Utopia 56 said it “intends that investigations be carried out to determine the responsibilities of the French and British rescue services in this tragedy”, adding that the people were abandoned “despite calls to the English and French rescue services”.

Nikolai Posner, a spokesman for Utopia 56, told The Associated Press on Monday that the lawsuit also intended to “remind our governments that it is urgent to question the policies at our borders, which take human lives every day”.

I thought the boat was in French waters when it sank . At what point do the call UK coast guard . Surely  if your in French  waters you call them .

At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Although the French could have possibly done more to stop them leaving, ultimately it is the fault of those who choose to take the dangerous, illegal route.

The only ones to blame are those on the boat and those who put them on it.

Edited by Newbie to this

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I never!

From an AOL article;

You couldn't make it up 🙄

6 hours ago, johnphilip said:

I thought the boat was in French waters when it sank . At what point do the call UK coast guard . Surely  if your in French  waters you call them .

Yep that's how I read it. The UK is hardly responsible for entering French waters to save their citizens. Our police will be critised for not arresting French criminals, or our NHS for not entering France to give treatment in Paris. Ridiculous! 

On 06/11/2021 at 06:38, TRINITY said:

In cities like Sheffield the local left wing politicians are so proud of their 'city of sanctuary ' and invite the rest of the planet to come to live there. But then they are the first to bleat on about homelessness ,lack of affordable housing and insufficient public services. 

I live in Sheffield and to be honest the Sheffield I once loved is now a utter **** hole no go areas litter strewn streets  geto more sums up Sheffield now thanks to those nice councillors who buy the most part live in the more affluent part of the city who haven't had to deal with their policies hypocrites the lot of them

On 16/12/2021 at 19:24, Gordon R said:

Rubbish. It is illegal if they know they don't fit the criteria for asylum. As they are economic migrants, they know full well. Hence they destroy ID paperwork.

or they can't get the paperwork, will get put in jail try to get it or have simply lost it. Yes those who are economic migrants will be ditching it but those tend to be the ones who are coming from the EU or other countries that are not in crisis/war/ etc. By using the pejorative term you belittle many who are not economic migrants. I am (was) an economic migrant in 1990 when the building trades collapsed and I moved to Scotland to become a firefighter, we've had Irish move to the UK for many trades, Welsh to Scotland in the mining industry...

So let's not forget the actual figures, iirc 6% of migrants to the UK come in by non standard routes.

It is not the only option. They could settle elsewhere. They could return to their own country.

They would probably die or be even worse of.

As for failed appeals. What percentage apply for asylum and what percentage disappear into the ether?

You tell me, you seem to have set up as a rhetorical question.

Naive doesn't quite hack it.

On 16/12/2021 at 22:48, Dave-G said:

I put it to m'lords that disposing of one's passport or other identifying documentation doesn't rank as the actions of a legitimate refugee.

Again you are thinking of this as a first world problem. You have a passport I presume, I do and it was easy apart from the photo as you can't smile etc etc. If you are being bombed and have or have not gotten a passport what are your most important things to get you from peril to safety? If you are wanted for things you have said, or are accused of saying, about your government are you going to take the paperwork that will get you hauled back home if you are caught? Same story but if you are accused of being homosexual?

8 minutes ago, henry d said:

Again you are thinking of this as a first world problem. You have a passport I presume, I do and it was easy apart from the photo as you can't smile etc etc. If you are being bombed and have or have not gotten a passport what are your most important things to get you from peril to safety? If you are wanted for things you have said, or are accused of saying, about your government are you going to take the paperwork that will get you hauled back home if you are caught? Same story but if you are accused of being homosexual?

Whether these people are genuine or not, they have passed through many safe countries including ones with a similar religion and culture as theirs to get here, why?

Is it because we are seen as a soft touch, housing, health care, money, legal aid all provided for free?

How very wonderful we are.

But please Henry, tell me how many of these poor souls should we accommodate, thousands, millions?

Or perhaps it's just limitless.

27 minutes ago, henry d said:

Who is being bombed in France henry? Your arguments are absolutely ludicrous! 

Henry ive got the answer just extend the uk border to include the whole world they wont have to travel here and they can get their giros cashed where they live just divert all our money to their health care  and feed them      but we are running out of cash hope they can work to feed us and treat us 

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

Whether these people are genuine or not, they have passed through many safe countries including ones with a similar religion and culture as theirs to get here, why?

Is it because we are seen as a soft touch, housing, health care, money, legal aid all provided for free?

No, how often does it need to be said, there are more countries that give more than us, yet they still come...why? Because (generalisation) they either speak the language, have family here or, bizarrely, have heard how welcoming the UK is!

How very wonderful we are.

Speak for yourself 😜

But please Henry, tell me how many of these poor souls should we accommodate, thousands, millions?

Who knows, perhaps the 6% of total immigrants to the UK might think that the other 94% should get the same testicles talked about them too? 

Or perhaps it's just limitless.

On the last point, who do you allow to migrate here?

8 minutes ago, armsid said:

Henry ive got the answer just extend the uk border to include the whole world they wont have to travel here and they can get their giros cashed where they live just divert all our money to their health care  and feed them      but we are running out of cash hope they can work to feed us and treat us 

I'm sure that you don't mean what you seem to have written.

Regards borders, why do you think we have a Dublin agreement? Imagine being a bordering country eh? Syrian, Iraqi, Iranian.... Turkey? 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

henry d - you are clutching at straws. These are mainly economic migrants. Stop playing a violin and accept what they are.

Ok, proof?

On 10/10/2021 at 21:33, bruno22rf said:

I can see the solution as can 99% of the British population, so why are we powerless to stop them? I'm looking forward to times when a bunch of locals sail out and take the law into their own hands, like the people pulling those ****** off the road while the Police, who are being paid to remove them, stand and watch.

It’s almost like there’s a reason the police stand and watch…….🙄

Ok, proof?

henry d - do your own research. I see your problem, because research makes a mockery of your increasingly bizarre posts.

I honestly hope that your posts are tongue in cheek, because they are detached from reality. 

Have a great Christmas and I hope you recover in the New Year.

25 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Have a great Christmas and I hope you recover in the New Year

He would recover alright if they moved a load of somalis or Afghans onto his street. 

The latest way of tackling the problem, has been to suggest tagging them? 

I mean, why would you need to tag them if they're kept in a holding centre, unless, errr.. They're actually not kept in secure holding centres, and just left to roam the streets? 

And those tags, must be terribly difficult to remove.... And then they just disappear into the ether.... 

Great plan! 

Therein lies the problem. I have no problem with accepting geuine refugees who will add something to the country. 

My problem is that, aside from a few who bring children, they appear to be mainly young men, who have disposed of their ID and don't seem keen of the laws of the land.

Sweden, who generously welcomed immigrants, have come to regret their actions and the accompanying criminality.

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Therein lies the problem. I have no problem with accepting geuine refugees who will add something to the country. 

My problem is that, aside from a few who bring children, they appear to be mainly young men, who have disposed of their ID and don't seem keen of the laws of the land.

Sweden, who generously welcomed immigrants, have come to regret their actions and the accompanying criminality.

And I think that reflects the vast majority of the UKs population feelings on it. We're a very tolerant country and we should all be proud of that. Henry appears to have a huge chip on his shoulder and seems to believe every one bar him and his higher intelligence and enlightend mind is a thicko closet racist.