ditchman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Where are the official channels? If they exist they are too hard to access, poorly resourced, unintelligible to interested parties. Perhaps if we set out who we would allow and had a process in place to enable them to come the less desirable could be weeded.

To my mind this is the crux of the problem. A govt that sees itself as having a mandate to deter all and any migration legitimate or otherwise. Spurred on by the headlines in the daily mail, and a xenophobic public they are creating the very problem they are trying to resolve.

I have a flat in London, it is in a cul de sac of about sixty houses and flats. To the best of my knowledge only three other properties contain British born people or households and we are the oldest.

All my neighbours appear to have got into  Britain with no problems they all appear to have settled here 

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I have a flat in London, it is in a cul de sac of about sixty houses and flats. To the best of my knowledge only three other properties contain British born people or households and we are the oldest.

All my neighbours appear to have got into  Britain with no problems they all appear to have settled here 

With respect that's probably largely historical? Look at how hard it is to make the journey now as a refugee. Where do you go as a starter for ten? What happens when you get there and what do you do whilst you are waiting the several years for some response? 

The whole system for travel into England is currently a nightmare. As an example i sail to the channel islands. The weather is not great and I divert to France. All no problem except now I cannot come back to England or go to the Channel islands. I have a dog. Dog's are only allowed in UK through a port of entry into which sail boats cannot arrive. I must leave my boat in France and take a ferry to the uk. Leave the dog in the UK and go back to france on the ferry to collect my boat. I have now broken the law because I have not completed a pre departure form for leaving England to go to Europe in the first place. Hopefully I can argue the point with border force. 

All of that is the easy part but for refugees its many times harder, there is simply no process and no resource in place to assist them. 

34 minutes ago, oowee said:

With respect that's probably largely historical? Look at how hard it is to make the journey now as a refugee. Where do you go as a starter for ten? What happens when you get there and what do you do whilst you are waiting the several years for some response? 

The whole system for travel into England is currently a nightmare. As an example i sail to the channel islands. The weather is not great and I divert to France. All no problem except now I cannot come back to England or go to the Channel islands. I have a dog. Dog's are only allowed in UK through a port of entry into which sail boats cannot arrive. I must leave my boat in France and take a ferry to the uk. Leave the dog in the UK and go back to france on the ferry to collect my boat. I have now broken the law because I have not completed a pre departure form for leaving England to go to Europe in the first place. Hopefully I can argue the point with border force. 

All of that is the easy part but for refugees its many times harder, there is simply no process and no resource in place to assist them. 

Could that be because we are full? 

28 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Can't argue with that. 

I believe we actually share many of the same views but look at solutions from different sides 👍

👍 I think we all share frustration over a lack of progress on any of this stuff.

On 08/08/2022 at 23:27, Vince Green said:

Yes and they are being minibussed direct from Albania to the channel ports in two days by the people trafficking gangs.

You can't tell me the countries they travel through don't know what's going on.  But  they just wave them through 

Of course because lets face it no other country wants the financial and cultural hit that comes with such numbers of unfettered immigration..........except us for some unfathomable reason?

I have a feeling this debacle will not end well due to the individual financial pressures in the wind? Bankruptcy awaits whilst the politicos live 5 star?

This country has been built in the most part on normal, sensible immigration but now? The rat in my outhouse has more morals and common sense.

22 minutes ago, old man said:

Of course because lets face it no other country wants the financial and cultural hit that comes with such numbers of unfettered immigration..........except us for some unfathomable reason?

I have a feeling this debacle will not end well due to the individual financial pressures in the wind? Bankruptcy awaits whilst the politicos live 5 star?

This country has been built in the most part on normal, sensible immigration but now? The rat in my outhouse has more morals and common sense.

What unfettered immigration? Immigration is strictly controlled. Or are you talking about refugees? Why do you think for some reason we want the current refugee issue? 

What individual financial pressures are you on about? 

Normal sensible immigration should be resumed but there is no coherent policy in place. We desperately need more nurses, care home staff, agricultural workers, the list goes on. Our govt is too afraid of the xenophobic backlash to put in place the immigration policy that the country so desperately needs. Let alone a process to support and manage refugees. So the current debacle will continue until we own up to the problem that we are causing.

21 hours ago, oowee said:

Yes your right and i heard on saturday that school kids in Brixham (or close to) cant get in schools as they are full of Ukrainian kids. This is not right. We must address these issues too. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. We need a government that works not one that spends the last year fending off complaints and arguing about its navel. 

Nye Bevan had some particularly apt and colourful opinions and descriptions about politicos of a different persuasion, seemingly quite fitting about the current flavours.

20 minutes ago, old man said:

Nye Bevan had some particularly apt and colourful opinions and descriptions about politicos of a different persuasion, seemingly quite fitting about the current flavours.

And he will be spinning at high speed in his grave with what his own party has become.

On 09/08/2022 at 18:56, oowee said:

Why do you keep calling them refugees? Maybe 1 in 50 is but the majority are just economic migrants pretending to be refugees.

When Germany threw open it's border to the million or so "refugees" and the locals turned out with banners and cakes to welcome them to safety, it turned out that 24 of the first busload were from Pakistan. Help me out here, is |Pakistan at war with anyone? Is it not a democracy? Why would anyone from Pakistan qualify for asylum?

2 minutes ago, Westward said:

Why do you keep calling them refugees? Maybe 1 in 50 is but the majority are just economic migrants pretending to be refugees.

When Germany threw open it's border to the million or so "refugees" and the locals turned out with banners and cakes to welcome them to safety, it turned out that 24 of the first busload were from Pakistan. Help me out here, is |Pakistan at war with anyone? Is it not a democracy? Why would anyone from Pakistan qualify for asylum?

Simple they are refugees (or claim to be) until proven otherwise. We get back what we put in. 

6 hours ago, oowee said:

We desperately need more nurses, care home staff, agricultural workers, the list goes on.

So the countries these people will come from have them in abundance, and wont suffer from a lack of workers themselves?

Why are we not training (and rewarding) our own people?

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

Simple they are refugees (or claim to be) until proven otherwise. We get back what we put in. 

No, they are illegal immigrants, dress it up how you like but we are being invaded and no one will do a thing about it.

26 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

So the countries these people will come from have them in abundance, and wont suffer from a lack of workers themselves?

Why are we not training (and rewarding) our own people?

No, they are illegal immigrants, dress it up how you like but we are being invaded and no one will do a thing about it.

Because we have a moronic govt that's too busy congratulating itself for mugging off the electorate?

Its use of words like invaded that contribute to the problem we have. We are unable to deal with the problem in a pragmatic and adult way, preferring hysterics and tantrums rather than looking at a calculated approach. 

Edited by oowee

We stopped training our own people to do skilled work whencompanies and governments allowed workers (trained) to come and work here.Our unemployed stayed unemployed because they were unskilled.our tech colleges in Coventry shut down as engineering declined in favour of European industry and the Governments of all colours knew that without training and investment in British citizens. British jobs that our dole queses would increase leading to the ones in work having to retire later and taxes having to rise to cover unemployment and older skills leaving no training at post school level.France has a policy of employing French people before others the dole is 2yrs max When the family and visit friends in France you see hardly any English working for the French as i was told when asking about jobs to check for myself French jobs for French people Probably why the migrants come here we will employ anyone and with us welcoming them with open arms and failure to train our own and   force them to work tin hat on

5 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

How?

Over 18,000 this year, just rocked up on our beaches to be fed and housed at our expense.

I don't know how you define invasion.

I wouldn't in connection with refugees. Ask why they come in the way that they do. Then look for solutions based on solving the problem. 

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

6 million illegals already here and more arriving across the Channel. What would this calculated approach be?

Where do you get 6m from? Why do you think they come by boat and lorry?

4 minutes ago, armsid said:

French jobs for French people Probably why the migrants come here we will employ anyone and with us welcoming them with open arms and failure to train our own and   force them to work tin hat on

Reminds me of french company Moulinex. They made steel electric kettles. They bought a company 'Swan' based in Birmingham. Swan developed a plastic kettle that displaced the metal kettles made in France. The French closed the Birmingham plant and moved plastic kettle production back home. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Are you saying that isn't correct? If so, what is your figure?

Not at all. I have no measure. 6m sounds a lot where do you get the number from? 

There must be a figure for those moving from illegal to legal status? No doubt there are many unrecorded but millions? 

Over ten years ago, I was in a meeting with Staffordshire Police and Immigration staff. The press were carrying a Government issued figure of around 800,000 illegals in the country. One senior Policeman said "Well that's Stoke, what about the rest of the country".

Once the laughter had died down, someone asked what everyone thought would be a more realistic figure. Those present drew from their dealings with other Forces and Departments. The consensus was well over 5 million. 

Given the current trend, I think 6 million is a conservative estimate.

Anyone is free to ridicule the figure or suggest a lower / higher figure. The problem is that you cannot come up with a more accurate figure full stop. You can't know what no-one knows.