What stock finish is my Beretta?

DanT

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Should be oil finish.

Welcome to Pigeon Watch.

Thank you for the fast reply. 

it’s the finish I was hoping for, I will buy some linseed oil and try it out. 

Also, thank you for the welcome! It looks a very knowledgeable forum!!

Can I respectfully request that you DO NOT put boiled or plain linseed oil on it. Not yet anyway, until you have learned a lot more about gun finishes. You could just end up with a sticky mess.

Mr Tightchokes advice is good. There is also Napier London gunstock finish.

31 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Fine. this guy is a pro with many years of experience. I am just a guy who has refinished a few gunstocks.

When it comes to finishing gunstocks there are many ways. Everyone seems to have his own way.

I’m not trying to say you’re wrong. 

far from it, I’m an absolute beginner when it comes to this and I welcome any help. 

I wondered if that stalking forum guy was talking about oiling from bare wood, where as mine already has oil on it, so your method may make more sense. 

7 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Lots of us have our own stock oil mixes that’s the way he does it, I wouldn’t but each to their own.  

part of the skill is knowing how to use your oil in a way that gives your finish.   

Also gunstock finishing is totally different to furniture. Furniture does not have to stand the extremes of temperature or rain that a gunstock does.

I have of course finished stocks the traditional linseed oil way and whilst getting a good finish iI would never do it again. I f your gun is an oil finish just keep it clean and let it attain a patina that is hard to beat!

Edited by DUNKS

22 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Make sure it is boiled linseed oil.

But there are better compounds, CCL make the best in my opinion.

71+mmGrqGBL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I’ve ordered this, it’s arriving tomorrow. 

Do you have any particular tips on how to apply it best? Or will it come with instructions. Regards. 

5 minutes ago, DanT said:

I’ve ordered this, it’s arriving tomorrow. 

Do you have any particular tips on how to apply it best? Or will it come with instructions. Regards. 

Yes, apply as little as possible, just a few drops on your fingertip will be enough. Spread it out on the stock and buff it in with the palm of your hand. Let it dry for a day and apply another few drops. You don’t want a layer of oil on top of the wood so if your stock feels sticky after a day or two, you applied too much. You can repeat this until the wood does not take anymore oil or you have aquired the desired finish.

18 minutes ago, reindeer said:

Yes, apply as little as possible, just a few drops on your fingertip will be enough. Spread it out on the stock and buff it in with the palm of your hand. Let it dry for a day and apply another few drops. You don’t want a layer of oil on top of the wood so if your stock feels sticky after a day or two, you applied too much. You can repeat this until the wood does not take anymore oil or you have aquired the desired finish.

Brilliant stuff 👍

On 10/10/2021 at 19:40, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Make sure it is boiled linseed oil.

But there are better compounds, CCL make the best in my opinion.

71+mmGrqGBL._AC_SS450_.jpg

It’s arrived…

prior to applying, during the shake I read ‘no3 hardener’.

Has the seller had me over and sent the wrong product in the box?!?

I don’t want to apply until clarified. 

05E1E96A-0472-41C0-B81E-F2C3ABA06576.jpeg

5E859469-BC39-4814-B263-E4A5F4B9A059.jpeg

Hate to say it but I think they have sent you the wrong bottle. That is one of the (3) bottles in their gunstock refinish kit, to be used in the final stage to speed up the drying process. The conditioning oil is a different oil to improve 'already finished' stocks. Certainly looks different to the bottle I have.

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looks like Mr Lemon or his staff have incorrectly sent the hardener/accelerator.

Dan, whereabouts are you?

Brilliant. 

I’ll get it sent back then and order from another source. 

Just off J30 M1. 

thanks guys!