Jump to content

AYA Best Quality Boxlock Info


Gibbybox
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

Was down at Westlands Country Club at Annan today shooting the sporting and watching Digweed do his stuff, great day all round and would thoroughly recommend the ground.

Spent a while in their fantastic gunroom and ended up taking this AYA No4 Best Quality Boxlock home. Wasn’t until the deal was done that the salesman produced the case so that was a nice bonus. Paid £1000 for it which is twice what my beretta 686 cost but I can really appreciate the quality of the wood in particular.

Can anyone help with any info on the gun? From the serial I reckon it’s between 1984-87 but apart from that I can’t find much about the ‘best quality’ model online?

Can’t wait to try it on the pheasants on the first syndicate day in a fortnights time!

2EA729D7-67A1-4E83-A803-F12A01F76928.jpeg

A6B7E234-7747-4214-AAA3-FCC0AE8035C2.jpeg

72D77C96-7CB2-4066-A343-E1E7724FB278.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off that case alone, today, would not give much change from £200 plus if new. So you've stolen the gun for £800. The wood assuming it is as nice on the "outer side" as on the "inner side" would cost maybe £350 for the blank today. So now your gun is £450. Which means you've got what is now sold by AyA for five figures (it is a Model 4 DE LUXE as you've asked) for a twentieth of the price.

http://www.aya-fineguns.com/product/aya-no-4-de-luxe-2/

My advice? Buy a lottery scratchcard on the way out to the pub or off -licence or wherever. A lucky day like you've just had doesn't come along often! The only advice I'd give is to see what patterns it shoots as it may be quite tight? See how many "star" maks on the underside of the barrels just in front of the breech flats to get an idea.

Edited by enfieldspares
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

First off that case alone, today, would not give much change from £200 plus if new.

With respect, I think you underestimate the price of the case sir.

I bought a new canvas motor case from Brady’s in 1990 and it cost me £160 then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the support folks.

Will get a photo of the other side of the stock tomorrow, but I reckon it’s equally as nice.

Choke wise the salesman gauged it to be 1/4 and slightly more than 1/4 but not as much as 1/2. Will suit me fine for my range on the game days. Planning to try it on a few clays at home and maybe even a pattern plate or two to check I’m on the ball before taking it to the live stuff.

Funny thing is I was looking for a 20g for the Mrs all afternoon and it was just as we were leaving the salesman was talking about fashions and how he had a lovely AYA in and couldn’t believe it hadn’t been snapped up. Quick swing and I knew it had to come home with me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gibbybox said:

Hi folks,

Was down at Westlands Country Club at Annan today shooting the sporting and watching Digweed do his stuff, great day all round and would thoroughly recommend the ground.

Spent a while in their fantastic gunroom and ended up taking this AYA No4 Best Quality Boxlock home. Wasn’t until the deal was done that the salesman produced the case so that was a nice bonus. Paid £1000 for it which is twice what my beretta 686 cost but I can really appreciate the quality of the wood in particular.

Can anyone help with any info on the gun? From the serial I reckon it’s between 1984-87 but apart from that I can’t find much about the ‘best quality’ model online?

Can’t wait to try it on the pheasants on the first syndicate day in a fortnights time!

2EA729D7-67A1-4E83-A803-F12A01F76928.jpeg

A6B7E234-7747-4214-AAA3-FCC0AE8035C2.jpeg

72D77C96-7CB2-4066-A343-E1E7724FB278.jpeg

Hello gibbybox, I am the previous owner of this gun, very pleased it's gone to an appreciative home. It is a genuine , well maintained and faultless gun, recently serviced via Dale at ASI the importers. I also had some stock work done by PW member demonwolf444. I had a lot of pleasure with the gun and it was sold with a little regret, but life goes on. I had the barrels properly measured a few years ago and I thought I left the report in the case, maybe not. From memory both walls were 25 th plus... right barrel was 8th (imp/1/4) and left barrel was 15th (1/4..1/2). Hope you enjoy the gun. Regards

Ps. It hits the tower birds at Westlands with 24g 7's, no excuses 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very very nice. I debated all week whether to go, but mate was working and I’m not keen on shooting clays on my own. 
It looks like one of those guns which would leave you tossing and turning all night if you’d  left the gun room without it! 🙂

Have fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Gibbybox said:

Hi folks,

Was down at Westlands Country Club at Annan today shooting the sporting and watching Digweed do his stuff, great day all round and would thoroughly recommend the ground.

Spent a while in their fantastic gunroom and ended up taking this AYA No4 Best Quality Boxlock home. Wasn’t until the deal was done that the salesman produced the case so that was a nice bonus. Paid £1000 for it which is twice what my beretta 686 cost but I can really appreciate the quality of the wood in particular.

Can anyone help with any info on the gun? From the serial I reckon it’s between 1984-87 but apart from that I can’t find much about the ‘best quality’ model online?

Can’t wait to try it on the pheasants on the first syndicate day in a fortnights time!

2EA729D7-67A1-4E83-A803-F12A01F76928.jpeg

A6B7E234-7747-4214-AAA3-FCC0AE8035C2.jpeg

72D77C96-7CB2-4066-A343-E1E7724FB278.jpeg

Fantastic gun will give you years of service perfect for pheasants With what you said think 🤔 the gun was meant for you 👍Would like to see some photos of it with pheasants if possible 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Gibbybox said:

Hi folks,

Was down at Westlands Country Club at Annan today shooting the sporting and watching Digweed do his stuff, great day all round and would thoroughly recommend the ground.

Spent a while in their fantastic gunroom and ended up taking this AYA No4 Best Quality Boxlock home. Wasn’t until the deal was done that the salesman produced the case so that was a nice bonus. Paid £1000 for it which is twice what my beretta 686 cost but I can really appreciate the quality of the wood in particular.

Can anyone help with any info on the gun? From the serial I reckon it’s between 1984-87 but apart from that I can’t find much about the ‘best quality’ model online?

Can’t wait to try it on the pheasants on the first syndicate day in a fortnights time!

2EA729D7-67A1-4E83-A803-F12A01F76928.jpeg

A6B7E234-7747-4214-AAA3-FCC0AE8035C2.jpeg

72D77C96-7CB2-4066-A343-E1E7724FB278.jpeg

Gibbybox, when this gun was made, it was marketed as the no4 deluxe self opener. Not the more recent best quality boxlock model. Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, benbobailey said:

Hello gibbybox, I am the previous owner of this gun, very pleased it's gone to an appreciative home. It is a genuine , well maintained and faultless gun, recently serviced via Dale at ASI the importers. I also had some stock work done by PW member demonwolf444. I had a lot of pleasure with the gun and it was sold with a little regret, but life goes on. I had the barrels properly measured a few years ago and I thought I left the report in the case, maybe not. From memory both walls were 25 th plus... right barrel was 8th (imp/1/4) and left barrel was 15th (1/4..1/2). Hope you enjoy the gun. Regards

Ps. It hits the tower birds at Westlands with 24g 7's, no excuses 😀

Delighted to have made contact, it’s a small world after all! The gun is a credit to you, lovely condition and the stock work done by @demonwolf444explains why I was blown away by the finish.

I took a couple more photos tonight by the fire but they don’t do it justice.

I’m the first of the shooting group to buy a SxS and at 28 years old I look forward to many seasons ahead with it. Will report back with game photos when the syndicate gets going. Really chuffed to have found out a bit more of the history behind the gun, I’ll take good care of it 👍🏻

1E328469-9925-4707-A1C9-57AE88C7D3B1.jpeg

F96A0938-187B-4443-9DAC-092DB42A03A9.jpeg

9A5303B4-A3DE-4684-B42D-8C5B0492B623.jpeg

6AEBF244-8F7F-4531-9C40-70DEE4B9C0B2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gibbybox,  I hope you have as much pleasure as I did from the gun, really pleased its found a good home. I didnt leave Westlands empty handed on Sunday either, I had good fortune to win the raffle. Unfortunately it wasnt a new gun, but a lovely shooting themed cake! Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gibbybox said:

Delighted to have made contact, it’s a small world after all! The gun is a credit to you, lovely condition and the stock work done by @demonwolf444explains why I was blown away by the finish.

I took a couple more photos tonight by the fire but they don’t do it justice.

I’m the first of the shooting group to buy a SxS and at 28 years old I look forward to many seasons ahead with it. Will report back with game photos when the syndicate gets going. Really chuffed to have found out a bit more of the history behind the gun, I’ll take good care of it 👍🏻

1E328469-9925-4707-A1C9-57AE88C7D3B1.jpeg

F96A0938-187B-4443-9DAC-092DB42A03A9.jpeg

9A5303B4-A3DE-4684-B42D-8C5B0492B623.jpeg

6AEBF244-8F7F-4531-9C40-70DEE4B9C0B2.jpeg

Well! What's to say! That's a Holland's 1922 Patent type self-opening "tube" under the two barrels. I had a pair of 16 Bore single trigger sidelocks with the same system once upon a time. It is IMHO a better and simpler and more easily set up system than Beesley's that Purdey uses. My two French Manufrance boxlocks use a similar "Frenchified" adaptation. A skilled gunsmith or springmaker can put in a different spring strength to set the gun as an easy opener or a self opener.

At twenty-eight years old that is a gun to have many happy years of use and to eventually to pass on to a coming generation. My only advice would be to please don't succumb to any stupid suggestions to have the thing sent for steel proof! You've a gun a gun that deserves to be serviced (when the time comes) with bismuth not steel.

It is in truth what was once known with some pride by such makers as a "best boxlock"....for that is what it is a true "best boxlock"....all that a man of taste could ever wish for in a sporting gun. It is, to repeat, a really really nice gun. A "best boxlock". Something now that rarely will ever be seen again.

Edited by enfieldspares
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There's a different way to reload a self opener. The gun stays always in the right hand and as the barrels drop the left hand reaches for the new cartridges to insert. 

Correct, but if you have small hands, its hard to do!  My late godfather always did it with his guns (Purdey) and kept two cartridges between the knuckles of the left hand; he was VERY fast reloading.

I cannot easily manage it with my Atkin spring opener, or at all on my AyA self opener.  I can't move the thumb of the right hand far enough to the right with my fingers around the wrist.  The AyA has a pistol grip, making it even harder.

Incidentally, I have head that AyA's BQBL is the best handling of all AyA models.  Self opening was a not inexpensive optional extra I believe.  Very nice gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Correct, but if you have small hands, its hard to do!  My late godfather always did it with his guns (Purdey) and kept two cartridges between the knuckles of the left hand; he was VERY fast reloading.

I cannot easily manage it with my Atkin spring opener, or at all on my AyA self opener.  I can't move the thumb of the right hand far enough to the right with my fingers around the wrist.  The AyA has a pistol grip, making it even harder.

Incidentally, I have head that AyA's BQBL is the best handling of all AyA models.  Self opening was a not inexpensive optional extra I believe.  Very nice gun.

Hello John, for clarity and a minor detail, this gun is an Aya deluxe no 4, the predecessor of the bqbl. Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Hello John, for clarity and a minor detail, this gun is an Aya deluxe no 4, the predecessor of the bqbl. Regards

Are there any significant differences apart from name?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Correct, but if you have small hands, its hard to do!  My late godfather always did it with his guns (Purdey) and kept two cartridges between the knuckles of the left hand; he was VERY fast reloading.

 

I learned (was taught) to do that when reloading double guns, and I have often done it when shooting myself if on a heavy peg when shooting partridges, but I keep two cartridges between the fingers of my left and right hands. Unfortunately, it looks greedy on the sort of day I can afford to shoot, so I don’t do it so much now.

edit to say: I have fingers like cow’s tits.

Edited by London Best
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...