AYA Best Quality Boxlock Info

Gibbybox

42 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Are there any significant differences apart from name?

Hello again John, I did state my post was for clarity and was a minor detail. I havent seen or handled an Aya bqbl and I haven't read the respective specifications for both guns, therefore I cannot comment on any other differences. I do know the above gun is very nice. Regards

In respect of British best quality boxlocks, they usually incorporated intercepting safety sears, absent in these Aya models.

I am sure that I read somewhere (and it may well not have been the full story or possibly even correct at all) that the BQBL was the UK name for the No 4 deluxe.  AyA did have some strange naming with the Senior as well; initially called the "Premiere" for the UK, but Senior for other markets, it later became effectively known as the Senior and the Premiere name was quietly dropped.

The BQBL or No 4 delux  are very nice guns however named.  I almost bought one some time ago, but ended up with a No 1 (which I still have) and really the only reason was that there were far more No 1's around, so I had less far to go to find the right one.  The one I was looking at was a self opener (my No 1 isn't), but I believe most were not self openers and it was quite an expensive option (so the seller told me!)

One of the nicest boxlocks I know is the Westley Richards 'droplock'.  I have never owned one.  There is a book specially on boxlocks, https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Boxlock-Gun-Rifle/dp/1906122415

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am sure that I read somewhere (and it may well not have been the full story or possibly even correct at all) that the BQBL was the UK name for the No 4 deluxe.  AyA did have some strange naming with the Senior as well; initially called the "Premiere" for the UK, but Senior for other markets, it later became effectively known as the Senior and the Premiere name was quietly dropped.

The BQBL or No 4 delux  are very nice guns however named.  I almost bought one some time ago, but ended up with a No 1 (which I still have) and really the only reason was that there were far more No 1's around, so I had less far to go to find the right one.  The one I was looking at was a self opener (my No 1 isn't), but I believe most were not self openers and it was quite an expensive option (so the seller told me!)

One of the nicest boxlocks I know is the Westley Richards 'droplock'.  I have never owned one.  There is a book specially on boxlocks, https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Boxlock-Gun-Rifle/dp/1906122415

The original paperwork provided by AYA,with this gun ,stated the model as no 4 deluxe. Yes, I agree it becomes confusing with different marketing/advertising terms. I hope Gibby enjoys using it, whatever the name.Regards.

19 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Lucky not too have owned or used one long term IMHO. I have and gladly took up the option to return it within the vendors fourteen day "cooling off" period. The Westley top lever and dollshead is an inferior and clumsy system to the much superior and neater Scott spindle. If it were any good it would have been adopted by the main "best" makers long ago. 

4 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

The Westley top lever and dollshead is an inferior and clumsy system to the much superior and neater Scott spindle.

Some of the drop locks were made with Scott spindle (and often a top cross bolt as is the one shown at Westley Richards now;

https://www.westleyrichards.com/usedguns/view/shotguns/1528747971-westley-richards-12g-highest-quality-droplock/

The rest of that gun (single trigger, Woodward grip etc.) I don't like.  I did once contemplate one with I'm sure was Scott spindle and no top extension at all, but never followed it up.  I have used (and still own a hammer gun with) a Powell push up top lever.  Works OK for me, but I wouldn't specify it if given free choice.

56 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Some of the drop locks were made with Scott spindle (and often a top cross bolt as is the one shown at Westley Richards now;

https://www.westleyrichards.com/usedguns/view/shotguns/1528747971-westley-richards-12g-highest-quality-droplock/

The rest of that gun (single trigger, Woodward grip etc.) I don't like.  I did once contemplate one with I'm sure was Scott spindle and no top extension at all, but never followed it up.  I have used (and still own a hammer gun with) a Powell push up top lever.  Works OK for me, but I wouldn't specify it if given free choice.

I often wondered about Powell's system. I did buy a 3" BLE from Powell's when David and Peter still were very much in charge at the Carr's Lane shop. Yet odd although you'd often see their fine 12/20 (and wow did I want one of those once) I never saw nor handled any gun with their lift up lever. Is it that bad then? It looks as if it would be "handy" so I'm guessing that it's not wet and cold thumb friendly then?

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I believe Powell’s ceased to offer them after quite a short production period.

On a bespoke gun, Powell's would still make to order - including push up I believe all the time Peter was there anyway.  I don't think they actually made any in recent times - and (guess) that the additional cost would have been considerable.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

It looks as if it would be "handy" so I'm guessing that it's not wet and cold thumb friendly then?

It is quite handy, but I've not really tried in 'cold and wet' as (a) - a hammer gun isn't ideal anyway in cold and wet, and (b) my gun (made 1871) is very original, a bar in wood, on its Damascus barrels and I don't in fact use it much and prefer to keep it dry!

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 3 weeks later...

As promised some photos from the first syndicate day last weekend. Great day out and a nice mixed bag.

Pictured are my first two birds with the new gun on the first drive and the only teal of the day which was nice! Gun performed flawlessly and I was loving the nimbleness of it in comparison to the usual O/U. Definitely a keeper!

DF300E8E-93D3-4D6E-B2BC-7FD02F482F50.jpeg

BD91713F-A066-49C1-B22B-885A6136BE9C.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Gibbybox said:

As promised some photos from the first syndicate day last weekend. Great day out and a nice mixed bag.

Pictured are my first two birds with the new gun on the first drive and the only teal of the day which was nice! Gun performed flawlessly and I was loving the nimbleness of it in comparison to the usual O/U. Definitely a keeper!

Well done gibbybox. I'm glad you enjoy the gun as much as I did. There's not many legal species it hasn't accounted for over the seasons. I wish you well, Regards

48 minutes ago, Gibbybox said:

Fantastic mate not only are you shooting your shooting with style 👍👍

On 12/10/2021 at 20:22, JohnfromUK said:

I advertised the above book in the sales section a few weeks ago with no takers. It really is a cracking book, well written and beautifully illustrated. As must for anyone with the remotest interest in box locks.

OB

On 28/10/2021 at 18:59, Gibbybox said:

I trust that you took the good advice of Endfieldspares and used bismuth on those ducks and not steel.

OB

In Scotland so lead is 👌

On 30/10/2021 at 06:32, Old Boggy said:

I advertised the above book in the sales section a few weeks ago with no takers. It really is a cracking book, well written and beautifully illustrated. As must for anyone with the remotest interest in box locks.

OB

I trust that you took the good advice of Endfieldspares and used bismuth on those ducks and not steel.

OB