Shotgun Certificate renewal

My shotgun certificate is due for renewal at the end of March 2022.

It will be my first renewal since the introduction of the medical letter/certificate from your GP and although I have plenty of time I thought I would start looking into it.

On the website of my local force the online medical form says "It is only to be used on renewal applications if you are declaring a relevant medical condition." Does this mean that if I do not have any relevant medical conditions I do not need to provide a letter from my GP?

I spoke to my GP an he said I needed to speak to the practice manager. When I spoke to the practice manager she said she new nothing about any such letter but that they could provide one but given the pandemic it wouldn't be a priority.

My feeling is if I do need one I will use the BASC service as this is likely to be quicker

5 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

My shotgun certificate is due for renewal at the end of March 2022.

It will be my first renewal since the introduction of the medical letter/certificate from your GP and although I have plenty of time I thought I would start looking into it.

On the website of my local force the online medical form says "It is only to be used on renewal applications if you are declaring a relevant medical condition." Does this mean that if I do not have any relevant medical conditions I do not need to provide a letter from my GP?

I spoke to my GP an he said I needed to speak to the practice manager. When I spoke to the practice manager she said she new nothing about any such letter but that they could provide one but given the pandemic it wouldn't be a priority.

My feeling is if I do need one I will use the BASC service as this is likely to be quicker

If you have nothing to declare then you just sign the form in the usual manner, which means you have authorised licensing to contact your GP. 

If you have anything at all,which you are in any doubt about,declare it.

I had medication or 3 months depression,over 20 years ago.

I never declared anything then or since on my renewals.

When last years renewal was going through (albeit by post,due to the pandemic) the licencing officer mentioned it during a phone call.

Good luck with the renewal

Despite the website not mentioning any requirement to provide a GP's letter, I would double check on your renewal letter. 6 months might seem early to think about renewal, but it soon passes.

Just been through the same, with a few months delay at the medical practice. A familiar pattern of the first request never received - despite recorded delivery - then claiming that they didn't know there was a time limit, despite being served with a Subject Access Request which has its own time limit, followed by the "covid" excuse.

I know of three shooters who use my local practice - the non-receipt of request happened in each case. I suspect an anti shooting person works there.

Since there is a lottery going on between forces it puts us all under duress never mind potentially on the losing side, is there no solution that puts the onus back to the police, ie: We reply to their statement of "It is only to be used on renewal applications if you are declaring a relevant medical condition."  with something like this "While I the undersigned am considered to have no relevant medical conditions to declare that would impede the renewal of my SGC please contact my doctor in your usual manner to satisfy yourselves."

I'm not an expert my any means but if something similar to above should put the onus back onto them rather than someone having a bad day pulling something up from 20 years ago as mentioned above?

Surely I'm not the only one to think like this and know there are many creative thinkers on here which between us all be able to stress free from the dreaded renewal process

35 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Despite the website not mentioning any requirement to provide a GP's letter, I would double check on your renewal letter. 6 months might seem early to think about renewal, but it soon passes.

Just been through the same, with a few months delay at the medical practice. A familiar pattern of the first request never received - despite recorded delivery - then claiming that they didn't know there was a time limit, despite being served with a Subject Access Request which has its own time limit, followed by the "covid" excuse.

I know of three shooters who use my local practice - the non-receipt of request happened in each case. I suspect an anti shooting person works there.

Gordon, it might be an idea to move to a new practice, or at least you and your friends could threaten to do so. GP practices are partly financed on the size of their patient list…!! You might find they suddenly become a lot more shooting friendly. 

Up here in the frozen north, there is no need to submit a 'doctors letter' if you have previously submitted one.

However.

I understand that there will be a change in 'reccomendations' from the HO, after the Plymouth shootings when Jake Davison was given his guns back in that we will all need to submit the doctors form at every grant/renewal. I did read that there was "an error made" and that a memberr of staff was being investigated however I don't think that will change much, we need to wait until December to find that out.

So if I read your post correctly @ilovemyhecklerthat this is a renewa, l I can only presume that you have not had your notification from Police Scotland, as if you have, paragraph 2 reads "If you have previously submitted a GP response and your GP has placed a marker on your patient file you are NOT required to return another GP response with this application."

Gordon, it might be an idea to move to a new practice, or at least you and your friends could threaten to do so. GP practices are partly financed on the size of their patient list…!! You might find they suddenly become a lot more shooting friendly. 

The pratice is excellent in other regards and I don't want to move, because of one person. I exchanged e-mails with the Practice Manager and reminded him of his legal obligations. He apologised and I accepted the apology. I added that i would not be so forgiving if there was a repeat, with a complaint to the Information Commissioner as a starting point.

55 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

I had a problem with my local health centre as it was at the height of the Covid outbreak. I went to Medicert which firearm department recommended and they got my records and completed the documents they charge £60 but at least you know it is being done

That sounds like problem solved for £60 to me

11 hours ago, miki said:

Up here in the frozen north, there is no need to submit a 'doctors letter' if you have previously submitted one.

However.

I understand that there will be a change in 'reccomendations' from the HO, after the Plymouth shootings when Jake Davison was given his guns back in that we will all need to submit the doctors form at every grant/renewal. I did read that there was "an error made" and that a memberr of staff was being investigated however I don't think that will change much, we need to wait until December to find that out.

So if I read your post correctly @ilovemyhecklerthat this is a renewa, l I can only presume that you have not had your notification from Police Scotland, as if you have, paragraph 2 reads "If you have previously submitted a GP response and your GP has placed a marker on your patient file you are NOT required to return another GP response with this application."

I didn't realise that, good to know👍

Just had my reminder, quote 10 weeks for turn around... why????

I down loaded the forms   12 sheets.  They have my full details why cannot the system just be updated.  I could just reply and sign to say nothing has changed or add a gun as required. Job done.  What a waste of time and money and then they give total maniacs their guns back....you could not make it up.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Just had my reminder, quote 10 weeks for turn around... why????

I down loaded the forms   12 sheets.  They have my full details why cannot the system just be updated.  I could just reply and sign to say nothing has changed or add a gun as required. Job done.  What a waste of time and money and then they give total maniacs their guns back....you could not make it up.

Stop being so damned sensible! :cool1:

When I thought I was going to need a letter from the docs for application. They point blank refused due to “not agreeing with gun ownership” and even put the statement in a letter. Turns out I was applying with the wrong force for the area anyway (recently moved) so luckily didn’t end up needing anything other than the usual. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hot on the heels of Mike's conversation with his FEO, I just had a phone call from my FEO at GMP. Having been on a Section 7 certificate for the last 6 weeks, my shotgun certificate should be with me in the next two weeks. He said they had a substantial backlog, due to Covid, but were prioritising renewals.

He went through the number of guns, where they were held and security etc. Very friendly, but professional. A pleasure to deal with.

22 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Mike - hope you are well. That system seems eminently sensible.

Hello Gordon, I'm fine thank you hope all is well at your end. I asked for a Sec 7 but she said there is no need which I found a bit odd, as in the last fifteen years I have been given one as Cumbria are very overworked. A mate of mine is in the same situation with his renewal and he was told, like me that our records would be updated at Penrith.

Regarding using an app, I had no real idea what to do and was talked through it all the time. I'm not a big fan of smart phones 😬