Morethan Van Insurance - Stopping Providing Cover

Jonty

Just a heads up if anyone is currently insured with morethan van insurance.  I had a letter recently that they were stopping providing cover at the end of the life of my current policy and they's partnered with Swinton so my pickup insurance could be seamlessly transferred over.  The new premium was just shy of £500 which I thought was quite steep so I phoned and had a moan and they offered to knock it down to £380.  I did an online comparison and could get the same cover with Swinton for £260 and there were obviously a couple of cheaper options too.  Don't even get me started on the 'where's the benefit in customer loyalty' aspect - but I just though it was worth a nudge if anyone is is in a similar situation with morethan cover coming to an end.

I struggled earlier in the year with insurance.

Apparently no insurance companies will cover a Toyota hilux for private car insurance, it has to be commercial van insurance.

I would therefore loose my 50 odd years NCB to take commercial and if I went back to a car would have zero NCB to transfer back.

That surely can't be right.

Eventually I spoke to a real person, albeit a non English speaker who insisted I had to give a company name and nature of my business plus tge goods I would be carrying to get a proper quote.

Thing is by bending the law, I could put a commercial vehicle on either my sons or daughter in laws company insurance for nil by becoming an unpaid employee. 

Absolutely crackers.

I've taken a lease vehicle instead.

Edited by Centrepin
Edited

42 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I struggled earlier in the year with insurance.

Apparently no insurance companies will cover a Toyota hilux for private car insurance, it has to be commercial van insurance.

I would therefore loose my 50 odd years NCB to take commercial and if I went back to a car would have zero NCB to transfer back.

That surely can't be right.

Eventually I spoke to a real person, albeit a non English speaker who insisted I had to give a company name and nature of my business plus tge goods I would be carrying to get a proper quote.

Thing is by bending the law, I could put a commercial vehicle on either my sons or daughter in laws company insurance for nil by becoming an unpaid employee. 

Absolutely crackers.

I've taken a lease vehicle instead.

I don't understand it either - there must be thousands of pickups being used as family cars rather than commercial vehicles.

Gone non commercial on mine - transit custom crew cab- chances of doing work mileage is very low with pandemic and working from home - so if they want me to deliver stuff they will have to hire me a van for the day !

I have gone Aviva but can’t warrant a commercial policy just so I can get my boss out of the smell stuff !

10 hours ago, Jonty said:

I'll have to look into that - I didn't know that was a possible option.  Thank you

It’s all a bit of a grey area as far as I know. But you can have a private policy on a commercial vehicle. But in my case I can not claim back my work miles ( if I recall my policy on my previous Audi A6  had to have business class 1 cover ) but not an option on commercial vehicles covered on a non commercial policy Agriv8 

On 12/10/2021 at 18:35, Jaymo said:

I’m with Aviva for mine- non commercial use. 

Was with aviva for my Amarok (family car only, not business), and just switched to direct line (direct line for business do vans/commercial vehicles).

One of the first questions they ask is if the insurance is for sdp and commuting, or also required for work use. My premium dropped from 330 to 207, delighted. NCD transferred as if it were car to car, which it did also when I first got the pick up a couple of years back and took out the policy with aviva, who had also insured it for non commercial use. No dramas at all. 

Incidentally, direct line have been the best price for vehicle insurance for us for probably 80%+ of quotes I’ve ever had, even when Mrs Hod went through a spate of destroying our motors.

It will be interesting to see how the new insurance laws effect quotes next year.

2 hours ago, hod said:

Was with aviva for my Amarok (family car only, not business), and just switched to direct line (direct line for business do vans/commercial vehicles).

One of the first questions they ask is if the insurance is for sdp and commuting, or also required for work use. My premium dropped from 330 to 207, delighted. NCD transferred as if it were car to car, which it did also when I first got the pick up a couple of years back and took out the policy with aviva, who had also insured it for non commercial use. No dramas at all. 

Incidentally, direct line have been the best price for vehicle insurance for us for probably 80%+ of quotes I’ve ever had, even when Mrs Hod went through a spate of destroying our motors.

It will be interesting to see how the new insurance laws effect quotes next year.

Interesting.

I was with Direct line under Tesco guise.

When my new Navara arrived and I rang to change, they couldn’t cover me at all- esp as the vehicle wasn’t at that time registered?

So Aviva it was but at double the costs from my old Qashqai.