Ravens Nest Trout Fishery, Pontysaison, Chepstow

Bobba

Does any PW member fish here and have up to date information on what is, or is not, going on?

I’ve fished it about three or four times a year for many years, but when I went last week the place looked run down and neglected. Waste bins overflowing, one massive bin was full of water plus waste, uncollected black bin bags, banks overgrown in part. The owner was not there and there was an honesty box with no price list. No ‘phone signals so I couldn’t check prices on line. And now the website and server are down. All very, very sad indeed because it was a great venue and the owner is a great guy.

My visits go back to the days when it was owned by the Dutchman Edward. The fishery is part of the  Angiddy river, dammed in three places to make three lake areas. The fishing was good. Edward sold up and the new chap enthusiastically modernised the place and was keen to make your day a good one. But my thoughts are that perhaps Edward may not have properly explained the river silt problem that had been building up over time, or that the situation may not have been properly understood. Either way, the silt is now a major build up in all three lakes making many of the pegs un-fishable or unenjoyable. This limits the number of fishermen and, thereby, income. A sort of downward spiral. I also wonder whether the stocking density has been reduced as a result. 

Dredging or pumping out the silt is the only answer and that will be costly. I wish the owner well but as things stand I will not now waste the journey. Very sad all round. So, if anyone has any info please let me know. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Mr.T said:

Thanks for letting us know, I was thinking about going there, think I’ll leave it now

Travelling from Bristol my next nearest (over the bridge) seems to be Wollaston lakes, Lydney. Have you any personal knowledge / experience? Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Travelling from Bristol my next nearest (over the bridge) seems to be Wollaston lakes, Lydney. Have you any personal knowledge / experience? Thanks.

Haven’t been this year but last season it was very good and following posts on f/b it seems that this year is no different