I fancy a new gun .

samboy

Hi gang.

At the moment i'm shooting a Beretta 687 SP 3 and am happy with it. But i fancy a more upmarket gun.

Like a DT 11, Perazzi or whatever takes my fancy on the day. 

But can a 8 to 10 grand gun Be that much better than my £2000 + SP ?.

Thanks all.

1 minute ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

At the moment i'm shooting a Beretta 687 SP 3 and am happy with it. But i fancy a more upmarket gun.

Like a DT 11, Perazzi or whatever takes my fancy on the day. 

Thanks all.

Probably not but you miss with so much more style 😂😂

seriously try a few a lot will depend upon how you shoot and how much you shoot 

if your getting good scores you may gain a bit with the better trigger pulls balance and fit of the more expensive gun 

if it’s for pigeon shooting and game then probably not going to make much difference 

I also have a Beretta 687 and enjoy shooting it, in early September I went to the open day at Ian Coley’s and tried the DT 11, it was lovely experience shooting 25 cartridges with such an expensive and beautiful gun.

The balance and feel of the gun was a revelation to me as I have never picked up a “new to me” gun and felt so instinctively able to shoot it. I am 75 so my shooting life is drawing to a close so I won’t be buying one but if I had the money and 25 plus years shooting ahead of me it would be the gun I would want.

I can't shoot a cheap OU after having a Perazzi, the triggers feel like hauling on an anchor. Apparently that's because the Perazzi has leaf springs. Yet my £50 side by side feels just fine - but then it is a hundred years old, they made things differently year ago 🙂 

My point is, value is relative and you need to find one where you can appreciate the value. I've heard very rude things said about certain Purdey guns, but they are £££££. If you can tell the difference, or think you can, why not?

Depends what you mean by ‘better’ really. Better as in will it improve your scores? Not necessarily. Will it be better made? Probably. 
There are oodles of excellent quality sh Perazzi and Berettas out there, so the worlds your cockle really. If you know what fits you, then shop about and try as many as you can before buying. 

2 hours ago, ehb102 said:

I can't shoot a cheap OU after having a Perazzi, the triggers feel like hauling on an anchor. Apparently that's because the Perazzi has leaf springs. Yet my £50 side by side feels just fine - but then it is a hundred years old, they made things differently year ago 🙂 

My point is, value is relative and you need to find one where you can appreciate the value. I've heard very rude things said about certain Purdey guns, but they are £££££. If you can tell the difference, or think you can, why not?

Of course the SxS might just have leaf springs too!  :whistling:

7 hours ago, samboy said:

My thoughts on this type of question are like my thoughts on wine. If I can’t tell the difference between a £10 and a £25 bottle of wine then why waste £15?

Only thing I can say is buy the best you can afford  I used to have a Beretta 690 but like you I decide I wanted something else and thought about going and buying a bit more expensive gun . So I went out and purchased a new Miroku mk 11 what a fantastic gun could not recommend one of these highly enough worth trying definitely upped my clayscores

I went from a grade 5 725 sporter to a dt11. I'd like to say I never regretted it but it took me a long while to get it set up how I wanted it and to learn to shoot it. But now I have it right, it's been the best gun I've ever owned and I have put the most consistent scores in of my shooting career. Everything about then oozes quality and smoothness. They are a very serious piece if kit.

15 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

A simple but expensive rule is that if you have a gun you shoot well with do not sell it until you have a gun that you shoot even better with.

That's not an expensive rule, it often is the cheapest as losing ££££'s on a series of guns and spending £££'s on cartridges not hitting as much is often much more expensive.

11 hours ago, Marka11 said:

Only thing I can say is buy the best you can afford  I used to have a Beretta 690 but like you I decide I wanted something else and thought about going and buying a bit more expensive gun . So I went out and purchased a new Miroku mk 11 what a fantastic gun could not recommend one of these highly enough worth trying definitely upped my clayscores

Did you get 30 or 32 inch barrels?

I went through a stage of buying lot's of guns, I learnt from them what I liked and how I liked a gun to balance. I decided on Perazzi. I was going to do the whole Perazzi factory experience for my 50th (at the time it was about 3 years away so was saving) but in Chris potter I found my exact specification, a suitable stock and forearm was sourced from their spares, it's from 1999, I'm 56 now and still have it. Recently I decided on a new gun, I wanted a Perazzi hi-tech but no longer have the disposable income I used to, so and set about trying several guns I was interested in, blagging at shoots, shops  etc  BUT none felt as good as the Perazzi so I decided to keep it. The stock is having an adjustable comb raiser fitted to fine tune the fit and decided to have a full custom engraving done. It's a keeper. I know I will have to rebalance the gun as the raiser adds weight to the back. Perazzi are beautiful guns and all are different so try different ones and go for it.

Edited by retromlc

17 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Apparently that's because the Perazzi has leaf springs. 

As does your 100 year old sbs!

Op shoot what you enjoy is the key here a carp shot will shoot badly with any well fitted gun and great shot will shoot great.  

The main difference will be in the finer details balance, build quality trigger pulls etc are you good enough to notice the difference only you can answer that.  

But one thing is for sure if you enjoy what your shooting you’ll shoot it better. 

18 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Hello, good post ehb, talking of side by sides there's a free one on the BBS air gun forum, English 👍

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Of course the SxS might just have leaf springs too!  :whistling:

Oh... yeah... That didn't cross my mind. I thought a gun that old worked on pistons and steam and stuff like that. I was also given the impression that leaf springs were a strange and unusual thing that no sensible gun manufacturer would use these days.

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, good post ehb, talking of side by sides there's a free one on the BBS air gun forum, English 👍

Thanks for the heads up but I'm not having any more guns until I get rid of one. 

I got the 30” barrel don’t think they do a 32” also they are quite straight in stock I’m right handed and my mate is left handed and he shot a 6out of 8 with it straight away only reason is I have seen a dealer put a premium on the l/h version so with it being a straight stock it should suit either handed gun. Mine has just come back from the gunsmith I have had it balanced and stock refinished like a London gun and the wood to metal finish isn’t that good but easy remedy by a good gunsmith