Zabala 3 1/2 inch advice.

Fagan123

Hello all, I have a Zabala 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge which is proofed at 1370 bar. The gun is in great almost unused condition. My question is would it be safe to fire 3 1/2 steel cartridges through it? Would I need to have it reproofed or is 1370 bar up to steel standard? Tried to upload some pics of the gun but not sure if I’ve been successful. My computer skills are stuck in the 1970s.

Also I have a Marlin super goose 10 gauge, could any one advise on home load bismuth recipes for it? 
This is my first post, hope I’ve put it in the right section.

2C6EF2DB-1E5C-4951-9629-2EDE6501A869.jpeg

C0697CCF-2732-4986-9A57-0FC01724B47D.jpeg

8F2BB56A-4B3A-4F0A-9FF3-1510EADEE31B.jpeg

D9424CD2-5293-4F9E-AE5D-040335FA9922.jpeg

There is no reason that gun cannot handle 3.5inch STEEL cartridges, especially at 1/4 and 1/4 choke.

It clearly has 89mm chambers and the reason 3.5inch was introduced was to allow steel to be used in loads larger than 36g.

The reproofing would be at 1350bar (i.e. less than what it currently is) and simply add a fleur de lys stamp to it.

If it is the Zabala canadier (it looks like it), watch the triggers as front trigger fires first barrel and then second on next pull, whilst the rear trigger fires both barrels at once

Edited by Stonepark

1 hour ago, Fagan123 said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Scully. I have a 3 inch steel proofed semi auto. Was hoping to get the max out of the 3 1/2 inch Zabala. Will make enquiries regarding reproofing it for steel. A shame just to have it sitting in the cabinet not being used.

Fair enough. Like you say, shame to not use it. Looks a good bit of kit. 

3 hours ago, Fagan123 said:

Does anyone know where I can purchase 3 1/2 inch standard steel cartridges?

https://www.justcartridges.com/product/mammoth-magnum-steel-12ga-2/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gamebore+Mammoth+Magnum+Steel

(Edit to add, they would be HP steel, not standard).

Edited by Windswept

Thanks for the reply Stonepark, 1350bar is the figure I have been trying to find. As you say it is proofed for more than this so should happily manage 3 1/2 steel. The chokes were bored out to 1/4 and 1/4 before I bought it. Yes it’s the one with the party trick rear trigger, hasn’t caught me out yet but I’m sure it will one day,

thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Windswept, looks like the cartridges you suggested would be good for this gun. Will order some tomorrow. I have an account with Just Cartridges, great company to deal with, delivery to your door.

If you can find Mammoth in BB good luck because I discussed this with Just cartridges a month ago and haven’t been able to order since last November. Spoke to Gamebore on Sunday and they said they wouldn’t be doing a production run this season due to lack of materials. So I shall be loading my own as I do 10 and 8 bores.

I am sure if you ring round you will find dealers with suitable big cartridges - ask Gamebore who they supply. I have only ever seen 89 mm cartridges in steel and hevishot, never lead, and would have no qualms about using any commercial load in this gun. Zabalas may be a bit down market but they are well engineered.  I have owned one. The idea of buying a great heavy "double discharge" Canardier and putting 70 mm shells in it is just ridiculous.

Thanks for the reply Windswept, looks like the cartridges you suggested would be good for this gun. Will order some tomorrow. I have an account with Just Cartridges, great company to deal with, delivery to your door.

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

I am sure if you ring round you will find dealers with suitable big cartridges - ask Gamebore who they supply. I have only ever seen 89 mm cartridges in steel and hevishot, never lead, and would have no qualms about using any commercial load in this gun. Zabalas may be a bit down market but they are well engineered.  I have owned one. The idea of buying a great heavy "double discharge" Canardier and putting 70 mm shells in it is just ridiculous.

Thanks for that Pushandpull, I have other guns for 2 3/4 and 3 inch. Would really like to use the Zabala to its full potential.

Edited by Fagan123
Spelling mistake.

16 minutes ago, Fagan123 said:

I'm not recomending them just pointing out they exist, although as has been said they may not be in stock.

had a zabala double discharge 3 .5"  sold it to big matt     put  1 1/4oz @ 1600 fps to a      once load at 1750 fps  all stel       good on geese no good on teal  as couldnt change direction quick enough    the barrels will take it  my  advice remove the double discharge pin     it hurts on clay busting loads       double discharge  clay busters really hurt   triger one shot  one trigger two shots  really hurt         did it once    shot a 4 bore single    it hurt  but not as much  

As mentioned above, I had the one that Saltings sold. 

Lovely fun, shot 3 1/2" Steel loads very nicely, especially with the extra stock weight that Saltings put in, made it a very balanced gun. I wouldn't hesitate on putting any steel shot loads through it, they're proofed to the right pressure,  just don't have the fleur but I don't see that as an issue. 

I sold it as I couldn't shoot it, its still local, although its been converted back to a double discharge now. 

12 hours ago, Saltings said:

had a zabala double discharge 3 .5"  sold it to big matt     put  1 1/4oz @ 1600 fps to a      once load at 1750 fps  all stel       good on geese no good on teal  as couldnt change direction quick enough    the barrels will take it  my  advice remove the double discharge pin     it hurts on clay busting loads       double discharge  clay busters really hurt   triger one shot  one trigger two shots  really hurt         did it once    shot a 4 bore single    it hurt  but not as much  

Edited by Fagan123
Posted wrong place

3 minutes ago, Fagan123 said:

Removing the double discharge pin sounds like a good idea. Does it take much work to remove it? Can’t see a time when I would need to empty both barrels at once. Had a muzzleloading 4 bore a while ago. Think it took 4 drams of powder, definitely took 4 oz of shot. The recoil was quite mild, more a heavy push than a violent kick. It weighed 15+ pounds. Had a conversation with the guy who made it, he made a few of them. Took a day and a half to drill the barrel out. When fine tuning the choke he patterned them on the side of a caravan at 70 yards.