Crisis after crisis ... anyone feeling the stress through pressure at work?

Smokersmith

The road is seldom smooth, but after Brexit, Covid, drivers shortages, inflation, gas prices etc etc .. has anyone on here put their hand up and said 'stop the world ... I want to get off !!?'

A healthy combo of rod & gun has kept me relatively sane, but I guess there are some on here who are beginning to get a bit frayed by it all?

39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i bought some extra toilet rolls today............and now feel futuer proofed against further stress and othe crisis's

I had to use my stash of toilet rolls to mop up the diesel that was leaking from all the drinks bottles I filled at the garage last week.

After 2020 I thought this year was going to be a lot better, the world was opening up, cases were down, I just joined a new shooting association and was looking forward to the year ahead. All over Christmas and the beginning of this year I suffered from vertigo, never had it before but it was horrible. Still now it's affecting me on and off. My wife became unwell earlier in the year and the doctors still aren't sure what's wrong so she keeps going for tests and x-rays and God knows what. My 5 year old son had an accident just before the summer holiday and that's ended up involving surgery, a metal rod, hospital stays, then more emergency surgery and hospital stays because of an infection. And now it's a trip up to the Royal London hospital every few weeks to keep an eye on his recovery as well as physiotherapy which is going to continue for the foreseeable future. It's been a **** year. Didn't really notice the background drama of idiots panic buying and crappy politics and blaming Brexit for everything. 

The monotony of work seems to be my only distraction lately. I'm lucky I have my loving wife and kids to keep me sane, nothing else really matters.

Edited by Lsto
Added last statement

1 hour ago, Lsto said:

After 2020 I thought this year was going to be a lot better, the world was opening up, cases were down, I just joined a new shooting association and was looking forward to the year ahead. All over Christmas and the beginning of this year I suffered from vertigo, never had it before but it was horrible. Still now it's affecting me on and off. My wife became unwell earlier in the year and the doctors still aren't sure what's wrong so she keeps going for tests and x-rays and God knows what. My 5 year old son had an accident just before the summer holiday and that's ended up involving surgery, a metal rod, hospital stays, then more emergency surgery and hospital stays because of an infection. And now it's a trip up to the Royal London hospital every few weeks to keep an eye on his recovery as well as physiotherapy which is going to continue for the foreseeable future. It's been a **** year. Didn't really notice the background drama of idiots panic buying and crappy politics and blaming Brexit for everything. 

The monotony of work seems to be my only distraction lately. I'm lucky I have my loving wife and kids to keep me sane, nothing else really matters.

looks like you win the prize for worst year! Hope all comes right for you and your family!

For me the only thing that has made any difference is the problems with fuel, but that was only in as much as a bit more planning so as to keep at least 1 truck with fuel in it in case of an emergency call out. 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Now in all honesty who in their right mind is going to answer that question other than a resounding NO!!

An honest man who understands that talking about the problems is the first step to solving them.

Regardless of fac or such, we should be talking about mental health. 

At a function last weekend, a friend said that he was finding it hard to get motivated to do anything since restrictions had been lifted. He lives on his own and is retired, but usually very active and busy with all sorts. He said he knows he should be getting on with whatever, but says he just can’t be bothered. My OH has stated the same. Both were in lockdown for a long time, whereas I carried on more or less as I had prior to lockdown. 
I would be surprised if the cost of lockdown consisted only of money. 

21 minutes ago, Scully said:

At a function last weekend, a friend said that he was finding it hard to get motivated to do anything since restrictions had been lifted. He lives on his own and is retired, but usually very active and busy with all sorts. He said he knows he should be getting on with whatever, but says he just can’t be bothered. My OH has stated the same. Both were in lockdown for a long time, whereas I carried on more or less as I had prior to lockdown. 
I would be surprised if the cost of lockdown consisted only of money. 

I think the money might be the least of it!

I have been like you in the most part in that nothing changed work wise, and the dogs still needed walking etc

Edited by bluesj

Ive just had 3 months off work to re-evaluate my life, making some big decisions about what I want and my work. Looking at dropping hours to my bare minimum to keep bills paid, but that’s it. I’m giving up a good secure wage, but my mental health takes priority. I currently hate my job. 

14 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Ive just had 3 months off work to re-evaluate my life, making some big decisions about what I want and my work. Looking at dropping hours to my bare minimum to keep bills paid, but that’s it. I’m giving up a good secure wage, but my mental health takes priority. I currently hate my job. 

Good for you. 

27 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I think the money might be the least of it!

I have been like you in the most part in that nothing changed work wise, and the dogs still needed walking etc

Indeed. My OH had dogs to walk, but that was about it, and very little interaction with anyone else. It can all become very tedious and can get you down after a while. 

45 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

All the drama and stress Stopped when I stopped watching the news. 

Very true, I have staff at work who are still counting the dead. I suppose that in turn gets directed at me as their manager.  They come in stressed out and become individual Tanzanian devil's. 

I've had 18 months of not only goal posts moving, but being pulled up completely. 

Then add to all that being sold off to another company, after 20 dedicated years,then loosing what would have been the last few years topping up a good pension, and now being sold off again. I was checking it in the December, but probably stopping till May now due to Mrs wanting a caravan. 

If I have any carp from big bosses vefore next May they can go whistle Dixie.. 

I understand what the OP is getting at - the world seems to be lurching from one crisis / cock up to the next.

One of my clients is an energy consultant and I was on the phone to him today for over an hour having my eyes opened to the enormity of the energy / carbon crisis that we can now all see, but which is just the tip of the iceberg.

The numbers and examples he went through were jaw dropping, being the extra cost that businesses will face and those costs will get passed onto consumers and yes, that means prices going up and dreaded inflation.

The problem with energy supply is that a plan / decision today could take a decade to come on stream. We should have been building nuclear reactors a decade ago.

The anxiety is in the future - it feels like the world is currently holding its breath and waiting for some big economic collapse / catastrophe and the whole pack of cards going over. Indeed I still have no idea how the FTSE is still knocking round the 7000 mark.

As for running a business, it’s impossible to plan for anything and planning for a disaster is all very negative.

12 hours ago, paulinlincs said:

All the drama and stress Stopped when I stopped watching the news. 

Absolutely, the world was a much easier place to live in without 24 hours of worldwide doom and gloom news, we are suffering from to much information, much of it wrong or downright lies, theres a saying " Theres no point worrying about things you cant alter" and its becoming increasingly clear to me, the most sensible approach

I have a young family and my own business. I am tired but very happy. Yes it is hard work but I live to please myself and have the support of a lovely wife. 

I am far less successful than I had expected to be and far below the professional and financial metric set by my father, but I am proud of my business and my family. No troubled year can chip away at that. 

Stress is all relative. This last year has not been stressful for me. My most stressful day was New Year’s Day 2014 when I was in A&E with my wife, we were newly weds she woke up to what turned out to be the start of an unexpected late miscarriage of our first child. In A&E I bumped into my sister as my mum had just had a stroke and had been brought in by ambulance. I couldn’t stress my wife or my mother by alerting each other of the other’s situation so had to keep quiet from my closest confidants. I am sure others have been in much worse situations, losing children or family, but for me that is the metric that all other stress is measured against and a fuel shortage etc barely moves the needle from 0. 

I've had some **** times since mid 2019. My lovely broth in law passed away from cancer so i have been helping my sister out a lot. 

Last boxing day, my wife was taken in to hospital with covid. She was out after 11 days and a week later I ended up in with covid for 5 days. Shortly after coming out my brilliant Wire Haired Fox Terrier had to be pts at 14 and half years. 

My part time job went in mid 2020. So i have been clicking my heels since then.

I find that i feel much better by not watching msm news. I am convinced that they are a cause of most MH problems in this country. Constant doom and gloom and biased rubbish. I now never watch bbc news... or any bbc... i have completely cut them off. Sky and C4 are not much better.

Im not letting news media c**p ruin my life. Try it.

I hope all is well with everyone on here.

Take care

I unfollowed all news outlets on social media, deleted all news apps and stopped tuning into the news on TV a few months into the first COVID lockdown. It was the best thing I ever did from a wellness point if view.

It was the scare mongering and doom predictions which just kept me on a constant down and I developed a 'whats the point' type attitude to work and social life. I became a potato, just existing rather than living.

In addition to the above I also ignored a lot of the lockdown restrictions and managed to get out walking or fishing or something else interesting most days of the furlough period. Luckily I quite enjoy doing hobbies alone and live in the countryside. 

I can foresee that a lot of people who really took things serious during the peak of COVID (the living in the shed under the bed, scared for their lives types) will be carrying the mental scares of this for the rest of their lives.

The media has a lot to answer for and I do hope that an investigation is carried out in the coming years resulting in those in charge carrying their ***** to the job centre. I often wonder how much of the mental health illnesses and suicide can be attributed to irresponsible reporting from the media in the last 18 months?

In answer to the OP title, no. Very soon after the initial lockdown I decided that life was too short to work for a company that was blatantly taking the **** out of me and fired a CV out to every recruitment consultant that served my industry. Result was an interview and job offer a month or two later with one of the big players in my Industry. Just over a year down the line I'm working in a position where I earn more the double what I did previously with excellent perks and full time WFH with optional office attendance.

My resignation from the previous company turned out to be the start of a deluge of staff leaving to find better roles elsewhere.

Edited by Poor Shot