Decoying Before Planting

Pyb

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

if the pigeons are there ....they are curious by nature.....how many do you plan to put out ?

They’re definitely about! I haven’t even bought any decoys yet. Will 10ish do the trick?

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Don't forget, always an odd number, they can count you know!  :cool1:

Do they count on their fingers and toes?

20 minutes ago, Pyb said:

They’re definitely about! I haven’t even bought any decoys yet. Will 10ish do the trick?

Do they count on their fingers and toes?

i would go 15-20.............and put a couple of crow decoys about 30yds away from the pigeon deeks

4 hours ago, jeffgg said:

If you are decoying on a field that is not  yet planted how can it be for crop protection ?

Prevention is better than cure , as they say around these parts :hmm:

I can see where your coming from , is it right or wrong ? , their will be several members that are far wiser than me on the subject who will come along soon to tell us the ( true ) facts before to long .

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2021 at 09:28, marsh man said:

Prevention is better than cure , as they say around these parts 

I can see where your coming from , is it right or wrong ? , their will be several members that are far wiser than me on the subject who will come along soon to tell us the ( true ) facts before to long .

The truth is nobody really knows as far as I can tell. People have opinions but thats all they are, opinions.

24 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The truth is nobody really knows as far as I can tell. People have opinions but thats all they are, opinions.

We are all ( hopefully ) law abiding citizens , well we think we are , but I hold my hand up when it comes to applying non lethal methods before we go ahead and use every method known to man to put Pigeons in the bag , we could mention several situations like flight line shooting , roost shooting and our old favourite , stubble shooting .

Many a time I walk my dog around a likely field , ( a ) to put what pigeons are on off , and ( b ) to see if they come back , then if they come back it is game on ,  the next day , or sometimes the same day , then it is straight in for the kill , no pun intended  :yes:

Weather it would qualify all the legal requirement's ?, then hopefully yes it do , but like you say , who really knows ? :hmm:

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We are all ( hopefully ) law abiding citizens , well we think we are , but I hold my hand up when it comes to applying non lethal methods before we go ahead and use every method known to man to put Pigeons in the bag , we could mention several situations like flight line shooting , roost shooting and our old favourite , stubble shooting .

Many a time I walk my dog around a likely field , ( a ) to put what pigeons are on off , and ( b ) to see if they come back , then if they come back it is game on ,  the next day , or sometimes the same day , then it is straight in for the kill , no pun intended  

Weather it would qualify all the legal requirement's ?, then hopefully yes it do , but like you say , who really knows ? 

TBH mate I’m sure in the number of years you have been shooting you have tried and tried to frighten them off but they come back year after year so you’re doing the right thing by shooting in the vicinity of them 

how many years are you supposed to frighten them for?

I find that the only ones that don’t come back eventually are the dead ones 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

TBH mate I’m sure in the number of years you have been shooting you have tried and tried to frighten them off but they come back year after year so you’re doing the right thing by shooting in the vicinity of them 

how many years are you supposed to frighten them for?

I find that the only ones that don’t come back eventually are the dead ones 

I don't think their is an answer O F that fit all the questions and situations that could and can arise .

I know one thing ( well not in my time ) that we will never shoot the last pigeon , one ole farmer once told me , that every pigeon shot you will get two that will go to their funeral , :lol:

• 1 year later...

In theory you dont need any decoys because IF pigeons like a field then they flight onto it at some stage.  I DONT have  decoys set up in my front garden or around the upturned plastic dustbin lid filled with water that they love to drink out of and bathe in and cool off in the summer.  I have had really good  days of 70 or 80 on NO CROP AT ALL dirt.  And as a flip, to this, a nothing day at exactly the same spot when it had been planted with  beans.  IF you get under a line or preferably 2 at a crossing and there are birds in the air,  potentially they are decoyable.  The flying birds don't know if the dirt has been seeded.

We drilled a couple of fields six weeks ago. There were loads of pigeons on acorns and beach mast all around the fields. I set up on several occasions with decoys and a magnet The pigeons never took any interest in the decoys. Even now the pigeons do not seem interested in coming out of the trees. 

Yes. It can be pretty bad which everything seems to be go for a good day and you spend all day or until you get fed up of nothing coming in.  Been there,  done that on a field of beans that had been planted, nothing.  Fallen wheat, the birds just flew straight over the pattern at high altitude on oxygen.   they didn't even acknowledge the pattern or the desperate attempts of the flapper to invite the birds to join.  And yet the field that had been planted with beans had given a superb day in exactly the same spot on nothing. ?  Just harrowed soil.  Perhaps you needed a banger rope in the woods where they were feeding in the woods. Or another gun mooching around in the woods taking shots at roosting birds.  Sometimes they just perch up all day.