BASC Lead Ammunition Update about DEFRA Consultation on Lead Ammunition.

Salopian

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Yes I obviously was missing something - as I had no idea the non plaswad steel was so damned expensive (!!). It would be great if other metal bashing regions outside of China started producing steel shot. It’s too monopolised currently. 

But they couldn't make steel shot as cheap as the Chinese...

The issue though isn't really the cost of the steel shot (currently about same the price of lead shot as whilst iron is 10 times less expensive than lead, but manufacturing costs 10 times more) but also the cost of the non plastic wads which is partly caused by manufacturing costs but is also due to patents and licencing.

Edited by Stonepark

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Stonepark said:

The issue though isn't really the cost of the steel shot (currently half the price of lead shot) but the cost of the non plastic wads which is partly caused by manufacturing costs but is also due to patents and licencing.

Thank you.  I am glad you have confirmed that - which had been my understanding. 

However others have been saying it is the price of the steel shot due to the greater energy usage. 

I find it hard to believe the extra cost of energy to make steel shot (which I accept has to be hotter to melt) would be greater than the saving on the raw material due to lead being an expensive raw material compared to steel.

30 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

But they couldn't make steel shot as cheap as the Chinese...

The issue though isn't really the cost of the steel shot (currently about same the price of lead shot as whilst iron is 10 times less expensive than lead, but manufacturing costs 10 times more) but also the cost of the non plastic wads which is partly caused by manufacturing costs but is also due to patents and licencing.

Depends which regions get involved. If there’s a big enough  market, and lead shot virtually vanishes (?), then it’s likely that other competitors will be attracted. All speculation at the moment of course, my crystal ball is a little hazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Received a newsletter yesterday from GWCT which included a review of where we are with the phasing out of Lead shot . The letter for me spelt out the end of Game shooting as we know it , sadly (for me ) the 'scientific' findings were extremely biased against the use of Lead shot , numerous references to articles and papers published by Debra Paine of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust whose opinions in the past have been found to be biased and also flawed. 

Unfortunately we shooters do not seem to have a national association that will speak up for us or challenge this flawed science.