Water Rates

steve_b_wales

I mentioned this subject a few years ago. I've had a water meter fitted for the past 20+ years, and, compared to my parents (who are in their late 80's) and haven't got a meter, my annual charges are far less than theirs, and we use a hell of a lot more water.

For the past six months, I have used 25 m3 of water, a m3 = 220 gallons, so 5500 gallons total. My 6 monthly bill is £141.04. Slightly more than the previous six months. I am being charged £1.3078 m3 for water I drink/use and £1.7318 m3 for taking away/cleaning the water used. Service charges are: Water service = £18.18 (181 days) and sewerage service £48.60 (181 days)

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Obviously there may be a charge for the meter but it is down to how long you expect to stay at that property. The outlay will soon be absorbed.

My meter was free for a trial period of one year. After that, it could be removed free of charge. I think meters are the way to go for most people. Like gas and electric, the more you use, the more you pay. My elderly parents don't use half as much as I do, but pay a lot more for what they do use.

36 minutes ago, samboy said:

I had a water meter fitted a few months ago and my bill went down from £56 a month to £18  and now down to £14 a month.

I should of had one fitted years ago. I dont keep a tally on what i use though.

I don't keep a tally either. And I don't worry if I'm using the hosepipe more than usual. My bill came this morning and I do like to check what's what. 

38 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Obviously there may be a charge for the meter but it is down to how long you expect to stay at that property. The outlay will soon be absorbed.

The water company wanted £200 to fit it outside but i had it fitted in the kitchen and it was free with the option of having it taking

it out if i was not happy with it.

They always say a metre is good for you if you have more bedrooms than people in the house, we currently pay £22 a month but building and plumbing work been done and Amazing how much they waste.. the plumber is the worst. Will run the tap full bore when Washing hands and leaves it on while chatting away rubbing the soap in ... The. I get a nice invoice to pay ontop hahaha

3 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Just used united utilities water meter calculator and this was the answer:

You currently pay£455.66per year
With a water meter you would pay£655.97 per year

That sounds high, my last bill was £99 for 3 months and the water usage was 32 cubic mtrs as I have a large pond and cleaning the filterers every week and topping up uses a lot.

Its usually about £325 a year.

5 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Just used united utilities water meter calculator and this was the answer:

You currently pay£455.66per year
With a water meter you would pay£655.97 per year

I get a similar result. It’s almost as if they don’t want you to change to a meter isn’t it?  

My water rates went down from 800 pounds a year to240 pounds a year with the water meter fitted free. I also got a 400 pounds  refund as I was being charged to have surface water  removed when all my top water drains are soak aways. There is a section on the reverse of all water authority bills that if you think you are on soak aways you should give them a call and they will go back 6 years and refund your charges. Check the back of your bills lads and lasses..... Our small estate of bungalows was built in 1978 and the whole estate was on soak aways. From Auntie.

18 hours ago, cragman said:

I get a similar result. It’s almost as if they don’t want you to change to a meter isn’t it?  

I just don't get it, the price differences on this thread alone are massive, so must be the local water companies. Just up the road we have a fair bit of water........ the lake district