Panic buy for Christmas

islandgun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelves are short now, and consumption of virtually everything goes up at Xmas.

There’s no magic wand to solve this so I would expect there to be less availability of many items.

Just relax and enjoy what’s available will be my approach.

You’re barking up the wrong tree on ‘driving consumption’ as many suppliers, certainly in food industry can’t supply current demand.

Went to cash and carry this morning, 36 loo rolls, 5ltr washing Persil, 5ltr soft rinse, 5ltr Bleach and a pack of nail brushes so if we do run out of Loo roll we should be good to go. 

Oh ! and 6x 500mil hand sanitizer. Plus a load of other unimportant stuff like food. 

Just another day in my year to me. Used to always work it and boxing day when in the job. Time and a half. Whats not to like.  Our freezer is always full of good stuff and the season has only just started.  Most of you would blanch at walking 30yrds down the garden and then using cut up news paper hanging on a string.  People are getting pathetic. Heaven help if something really serious happened.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Just another day in my year to me. Used to always work it and boxing day when in the job. Time and a half. Whats not to like.  Our freezer is always full of good stuff and the season has only just started.  Most of you would blanch at walking 30yrds down the garden and then using cut up news paper hanging on a string.  People are getting pathetic. Heaven help if something really serious happened.

Well yes, cant disagree with that, it seems we are to used to getting exactly what we want 24/7 and the thought of being without a Christmas "essential" will signal the end of the world. Im not sure i fit into this category as I have 130 mile round trip to the supermarket and most of my food comes fresh and local 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

And it was always raining if you had to go in the middle of the night🥶  And those old wooden seats always felt damp😁

11 hours ago, Graham M said:

And it was always raining if you had to go in the middle of the night🥶  And those old wooden seats always felt damp😁

You must have had a few bob around your way with having wooden seats on your outside loo , we did have one at sometime but I believe , or I should say I know it started life in the village school and it was borrowed when the kids were on holiday , we did have a decent nail knocked on the inside of the door with some neat pieces of the News Of The World cut up though , in a harsh Winter the cistern was covered up with a sack which was next to useless as every thing froze and we were forever more chucking used washing up water down the loo and then walking back up the yard in the snow to get near the middle room coal fire and warm up , we did have another fire in the front room but that was only lit up for Christmas day or to dry the room out if we got flooded which we did by five foot of water in 1953 , but that is another story , oh for the good ole days :lol:

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You were lucky yours was 30 yds away? Used to enjoy the newspaper strips twice in one visit. I miss the lino flooring and rattling sash windows too. Thinking on about the old spud sack hanging on the cistern and paraffin lamp behind the door. The stove boiler in the kitchen, rag rug on the floor. Count myself as very lucky,

We will need real help in a catastrophe? 

Edited by old man

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

You must have had a few bob around your way with having wooden seats on your outside loo , we did have one at sometime but I believe , or I should say I know it started life in the village school and it was borrowed when the kids were on holiday , we did have a decent nail knocked on the inside of the door with some neat pieces of the News Of The World cut up though , in a harsh Winter the cistern was covered up with a sack which was next to useless as every thing froze and we were forever more chucking used washing up water down the loo and then walking back up the yard in the snow to get near the middle room coal fire and warm up , we did have another fire in the front room but that was only lit up for Christmas day or to dry the room out if we got flooded which we did by five foot of water in 1953 , but that is another story , oh for the good ole days 

We used to hang a small paraffin lamp under the cistern. Just enough heat going up to stop it freezing. And we had to pour boiling water into the pan to try and unfreeze the water which sometimes froze completely solid. Even that wasn't enough for the 62/63 winter though🐧.

Wasn't actually a full wooden seat, more like two separate bits of wood fixed to the top of the bowl.

5 hours ago, old man said:

You were lucky yours was 30 yds away? Used to enjoy the newspaper strips twice in one visit. I miss the lino flooring and rattling sash windows too. Thinking on about the old spud sack hanging on the cistern and paraffin lamp behind the door. The stove boiler in the kitchen, rag rug on the floor. Count myself as very lucky,

We will need real help in a catastrophe? 

A rag rug like this ?  We still use one, can't beat it for catching sparks from the fire !

IMG_0001.JPG

5 hours ago, Graham M said:

We used to hang a small paraffin lamp under the cistern. Just enough heat going up to stop it freezing. And we had to pour boiling water into the pan to try and unfreeze the water which sometimes froze completely solid. Even that wasn't enough for the 62/63 winter though🐧.

Wasn't actually a full wooden seat, more like two separate bits of wood fixed to the top of the bowl.

I was born in the Winter of 1947 when it was supposed to be one of the worse Winters on record for the amount of snow we had and I left school in the Winter of !962 when it was know as one of the coldest Winters of the last century, and would you believe I have been cold ever since :lol:

Here is a photo taken in 63 when the ice started to thaw out and came down the river .

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg