Panic buy for Christmas

islandgun

Cistern!

Water flush!

Luxury!

I remember as a very small child in the 1950s  staying at a family friend's in Bucknall, Lincs where there was an earth closet at the end of the garden. This was apparently dug out when full 🤢.

Oh, and a gazunder in the bedroom.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, old man said:

You were lucky yours was 30 yds away? Used to enjoy the newspaper strips twice in one visit. I miss the lino flooring and rattling sash windows too. Thinking on about the old spud sack hanging on the cistern and paraffin lamp behind the door. The stove boiler in the kitchen, rag rug on the floor. Count myself as very lucky,

We will need real help in a catastrophe? 

Rag rugs....Peg Rugs we called them.  Large hessian sack...the old 2 1/4 cwt railway sacks where best, then my grandmother would cut up all old worn out clothing that could not be darned or patched into 1 inch strips about 7 inches long and these would be fed through the sacking in a loop and pulled tight, row after row. They would be a nightmare for  your new G Tech floor sucker today.  Take them outside and give them a good beating was the ploy.

We had an indoor toilet........in the kitchen next to the back door, which we had to leave open "sometimes."

We also had a galvanised bath hung on the wall outside, which had to be dragged inside for bath nights. No wonder we only used to have a bath once a week. Kettle and pans of water on the stove to get hot. The rest of the time it was strip washes at the kitchen sink. And you know what?  We never gave it a second thought.

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

I was born in the Winter of 1947 when it was supposed to be one of the worse Winters on record for the amount of snow we had and I left school in the Winter of !962 when it was know as one of the coldest Winters of the last century, and would you believe I have been cold ever since :lol:

Here is a photo taken in 63 when the ice started to thaw out and came down the river .

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

And we still went to school, often wading through thigh high snow.....we loved it.  Today though, one flake of snow and the schools shut up shop......whimps.

3 hours ago, Robden said:

And we still went to school, often wading through thigh high snow.....we loved it.  Today though, one flake of snow and the schools shut up shop......whimps.

Don’t forget it was always in shorts. We weren’t allowed to wear long trousers at all until 10 or 11 years old.

3 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Don’t forget it was always in shorts. We weren’t allowed to wear long trousers at all until 10 or 11 years old.

When I started junior school in mid 60s you were meant to wear your uniform when out in public at weekends!  If seen to be flouting the rules by a teacher it would result in a detention the following week, bit harsh

oooooooooooooh the tin galvanized bath hanging on the wall in the garden (back yard). Had to chuck a bucket of water in it to wash the spiders out before you could use it.

And the gap under the back door was so big you could have limbo'd under it. Kids today won't even get out of bed unless the central heating has warmed the house up first.

I really do believe people were tougher back in the past before the gubmint told them that they didn't have to do anything for themselves, as they would now be looked after from cradle to grave.

3 hours ago, Robden said:

We had an indoor toilet........in the kitchen next to the back door, which we had to leave open "sometimes."

We also had a galvanised bath hung on the wall outside, which had to be dragged inside for bath nights. No wonder we only used to have a bath once a week. Kettle and pans of water on the stove to get hot. The rest of the time it was strip washes at the kitchen sink. And you know what?  We never gave it a second thought.

We had a very similar upbringing , our loo was outside and their was great excitement in the household when we were told the house was being modernised , what this boiled down to was the old copper boiler was being taken outat the back of the kitchen  and a doorway was been cut out so you walked into the outside toilet , the outside door was bricked up and for the first time in our life we had the luxury of an inside toilet , the tin bath was placed in front of the coal fire on the Sunday night so we had a bath while listening to the radio , not sure how often the water was replaced with six kids all going to school the next day , funny enough , apart from one sister we are still all up and ( running ) and in reasonably good health .

8 minutes ago, Diver One said:

When I started junior school in mid 60s you were meant to wear your uniform when out in public at weekends!  If seen to be flouting the rules by a teacher it would result in a detention the following week, bit harsh

Got caught going to school without my cap on and received a detention.

Nowadays I would be looked upon as a social victim and given counselling. 

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We had a very similar upbringing , our loo was outside and their was great excitement in the household when we were told the house was being modernised , what this boiled down to was the old copper boiler was being taken outat the back of the kitchen  and a doorway was been cut out so you walked into the outside toilet , the outside door was bricked up and for the first time in our life we had the luxury of an inside toilet , the tin bath was placed in front of the coal fire on the Sunday night so we had a bath while listening to the radio , not sure how often the water was replaced with six kids all going to school the next day , funny enough , apart from one sister we are still all up and ( running ) and in reasonably good health .

thats nuthin ....we used to live in shoebox in bottom of tet lake

🙂Some fond memories being stoked up here! I remember when our bathroom was built, I was in my last year at primary, so it would be about 1970.
I remember feeling amazed that we didn’t have to go outside in the dark to go to the loo, and there would be no more baths in front of the fire!

I sold that house in 2015, after my mother’s death, the outside loo was still there ( which my Dad would use rather than the bathroom, until his dying day ) as was the coal house and the old rusty hook embedded in its red brick wall where the galvanised bath once hung! 😀

On 14/10/2021 at 19:18, Walker570 said:

Most of you would blanch at walking 30yrds down the garden and then using cut up news paper hanging on a string.  People are getting pathetic. Heaven help if something really serious happened.

Share your pain there , bucket to bury in the wood every weekend I suppose it was character forming.   Newspaper but what luxury when you got  hold of the tissue paper some fruit used to come wrapped in.

Blackpowder

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Rag rugs....Peg Rugs we called them.  Large hessian sack...the old 2 1/4 cwt railway sacks where best, then my grandmother would cut up all old worn out clothing that could not be darned or patched into 1 inch strips about 7 inches long and these would be fed through the sacking in a loop and pulled tight, row after row. They would be a nightmare for  your new G Tech floor sucker today.  Take them outside and give them a good beating was the ploy.

Still have the hook to make them.

13 hours ago, Graham M said:

Old bu99ers😄

Yep, and proud of what we are?

2 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

I caught the ferry to France on Sunday and all looked normal over there. I stopped off in Saarbrucken overnight and was gobsmacked by how many trucks were filling up the autobahns on Monday all going on as normal here cherio to empty UK for a while.

What are you talking about? 

I've been all over the UK the last few weeks and all looks normal here to. 

In Dover harbour on leaving there were very few tractor units visible, seems to go half way to explaining the shortages to me, it might be being that the eastern European drivers don't want the hassle involved to enter the wondrous isle. I lived in Dover the last two months and the jams we were warned about backing up to Folkstone and beyond on the M20 have not appeared and the air quality here was better too, but then again you all know better than I. 

50 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

In Dover harbour on leaving there were very few tractor units visible, seems to go half way to explaining the shortages to me, it might be being that the eastern European drivers don't want the hassle involved to enter the wondrous isle. I lived in Dover the last two months and the jams we were warned about backing up to Folkstone and beyond on the M20 have not appeared and the air quality here was better too, but then again you all know better than I. 

Don't rush back, we're doing great since you left, must have been your fault 😂😂😂