On Top Of Everything Else

wymberley

Why do the disasters always occur late on a Friday afternoon and usually while you're out - Murphy and Sod as usual. A shower unit has let go and although I managed to get to the isolator it's not 100% effective so the water is off at the mains (apart from a quick on/off to top up) until Sunday morning - who'd have thought it, a builder/plumber quicker than a doctor!

5 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

He's not turned up yet!

Came within 10 minutes - but then he is the guy that will doing my extension. The problem was immediately obvious - not the shower, that's beyond all hope, but the defective isolator and its location - we were going to have a revamp shortly so have decided to bring it forward so for ease of access the bath is coming out on Sunday morning and the pipes capped so we can have the water back.

Somehow I don't think we'll see the doctor here.

These things are a nuisance. 

Back in May I came down one morning to water dripping through the sitting room ceiling.  Directly above is the en-suite to my bedroom, and this was below the shower cubicle.  Because this seemed to have happened just after the shower had been used - I initially assumed a waste water problem, but it didn't seem to dry - and I had to shut off the water to that part (which annoyingly includes the kitchen).  Water stopped quite quickly.   Fortunately, I have some 'as being built' photos and was able to locate the pipes and cut into the plasterboard - and find them.  Clear water running down the copper pipe feeding the shower mixer valve - but hidden away behind tiling.  Cut and stopped off the pipe so that I could have the water back on to the kitchen and rest of the en suite.

Wind forward 6 weeks (not a major problem as I have both a separate bath in the en suite and a shower in the 'family' bathroom) to when I could get a plumber.  Stripped out, and source of the leak was a pinhole in the flexible connection to the shower mixer.  Now all redone with minimal plastic (sadly the shower mixer itself has some plastic parts) and I hope won't happen again - as two days work for one pinhole.  I have also included isolator vales hidden behind an access panel behind the laundry basket!