Bow attack in Norway.

NoBodyImportant

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I guessing it’s world news by now but didn’t see a thread on it.   Hard to fathom a guy with a bow could pull that off. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/norway-bow-and-arrow-suspect-had-been-reported-for-radicalization-11634206917

Bows and arrows  are massively more versatile than most people imagine....

Edited by Stonepark

Once went to a medieval archery demonstration and they reckoned they could fire arrows at a rate of about 20 a minute. As for their effectiveness the English at Agincourt found them to be a efficient weapon. 

Another advantage is that they are silent. A terrorist could fire several into a crowd before anyone realised what was happening.

Whilst I have no doubt an arrow in the right place would cause serious trauma to a human, having had a bow and arrow as a child I find it hard to believe you could be accurate enough at moving people for such an event to happen. An arrow anywhere but the chest isn’t going to kill.

The Bow and arrow was a good military weapon for hundreds of years, but it wasn’t used as a precision weapon, it was an early form of fire supremacy. It was a throw enough arrows in a general direction and you’ll get results sort of tool. 

Edited by zipdog

22 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Whilst I have no doubt an arrow in the right place would cause serious trauma to a human, having had a bow and arrow as a child I find it hard to believe you could be accurate enough at moving people for such an event to happen. An arrow anywhere but the chest isn’t going to kill.

The Bow and arrow was a good military weapon for hundreds of years, but it wasn’t used as a precision weapon, it was an early form of fire supremacy. It was a throw enough arrows in a general direction and you’ll get results sort of tool. 

You really need to look at the Lars Anderson videos, the bow and arrow is very much the definition of a precision weapon.

Yeah the Anderson videos look nice but I’m sure the terrorist didn’t have Anderson ability and was using a bow with more then 20lbs draw weight.  I don’t want to use the words impressive but more unbelievable that he shot 7 before getting taken down.  I feel like a person with a bow running around would be easy to spot.  It’s not a small revolver.  

16 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Yeah the Anderson videos look nice but I’m sure the terrorist didn’t have Anderson ability and was using a bow with more then 20lbs draw weight.  I don’t want to use the words impressive but more unbelievable that he shot 7 before getting taken down.  I feel like a person with a bow running around would be easy to spot.  It’s not a small revolver.  

In the Europe most people have trouble recognising a threat as in general areas are safe and they are not expecting it, seeeing a threat and reacting to it are two different things.

If he was visiting different areas, due to the silence of a bow, most people would be withing 20 yards before they recognised a bow, and probably shot by the time they started to react to it.

20lbs draw weight with broadhead arrows will go through a man ribs at 20 yards and pass through the heart/lungs and lodge in rear ribs/spine.

lars is talented and demonstrates what can be done, but using a bow is not unduly difficult.

21 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Wonder if there will legislation regulating the quiver capacity in Norway now. 

I think rather than focusing on legislation regarding weapons, nation states should be looking at society and what can be done to prevent radicalised or angry people from walking our streets. 

23 hours ago, zipdog said:

I would think a arrow could kill you if it hit you in a lot of places, not just the chest. 

building-perfect-bowhunting-arrow-3.jpg

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think rather than focusing on legislation regarding weapons, nation states should be looking at society and what can be done to prevent radicalised or angry people from walking our streets. 

The last thing they do other than interfering in other nation states affairs?