Users of matched pairs

button

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

Most of the bigger days on the really big estates are shot using double guns. 
Double guns are also commonly used for driven grouse.

I know that but I was asking if many on here are taking part in regular double gun days

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Have never seen anyone double gunning on BIG shoot, although some use loaders.

A couple of the keepers sometimes load for double gunners up the road, at Whitfield. 

I suppose it depends how big a big shoot is. 
I have never been, but have friends who have shot there, and Whitfield I understand to be serious stuff.

18 minutes ago, London Best said:

I suppose it depends how big a big shoot is. 
I have never been, but have friends who have shot there, and Whitfield I understand to be serious stuff.

Yes. We certainly have big days, but try to control pheasant flushes to a degree.
Partridge however, are a different matter. 
A keeper friend told me that at Whitfield it is quite possible to have more than one team of shooters on the estate, shooting  separate drives simultaneously, and never meeting. I understand it to be bigger than BIG! 👍

Its certainly impressive driving through it. 

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

The use of double guns came in to deal with coveys whether they be Grouse or Grey partridge when numerous birds came towards the guns at once.

Call me old fashioned but double gunning on Pheasants doesn't sit right somehow.

Exactly. Which is what I meant by Partridge are a different matter. I don’t think there’s a need for double gunning pheasant either, but each to their own. 

I have a matched pair that I bought at auction recently - no one else bid and my bid was a bit speculative so not sure what the market is like. I have no intention of shooting them on double gun days - I'm using the more worn of the two for rough shooting & clays whilst I'll save the other for the occasional driven day. Just like the idea of being able to pick up a spare gun and not have to change anything. 

Not sure on steel shot issue - these are 1/4 & 1/2 so no issues with standard steel. Apparently the gentleman selling them was giving up shooting (he had another very nice pair in the same auction).

15 minutes ago, claysandgame said:

I have a matched pair that I bought at auction recently - no one else bid and my bid was a bit speculative so not sure what the market is like. I have no intention of shooting them on double gun days - I'm using the more worn of the two for rough shooting & clays whilst I'll save the other for the occasional driven day. Just like the idea of being able to pick up a spare gun and not have to change anything. 

Not sure on steel shot issue - these are 1/4 & 1/2 so no issues with standard steel. Apparently the gentleman selling them was giving up shooting (he had another very nice pair in the same auction).

If you don't mind me asking what kind did you buy?

4 minutes ago, claysandgame said:

Not at all - a pair of Gold Sables. I'd been wanting a nice sidelock for a while, as I like shooting with a sxs, and when these came along I got two for the price of one (at least in my mind 😂)

That's a great find

I have been looking for just the one for ages and have found nothing but the odd very well used one!

I was almost there until my daughter smashed my phone and list the contact details of a guy selling one!

Are they self openers?

9 minutes ago, button said:

That's a great find

I have been looking for just the one for ages and have found nothing but the odd very well used one!

I was almost there until my daughter smashed my phone and list the contact details of a guy selling one!

Are they self openers?

Argh that's so irritating! 

They are - but I think it's more assisted opener than true self opener. They're nice to use though if you need to reload quickly. 

Yeah I hadn't planned to buy a pair but then they came along it was just right place right time. And 27 inch barrels don't seem to be that popular so there are bargains to be had if you can find them!

1 minute ago, claysandgame said:

Argh that's so irritating! 

They are - but I think it's more assisted opener than true self opener. They're nice to use though if you need to reload quickly. 

Yeah I hadn't planned to buy a pair but then they came along it was just right place right time. And 27 inch barrels don't seem to be that popular so there are bargains to be had if you can find them!

Fingers crossed he puts it back on guntrader

The guy was Cheltenham way, so if your reading this and you still have the cased Gunmark Regale for sale drop me a pm

Just to be pedantic....  A Pair of Guns, made by the same maker at the same time, with the same actions etc, and consecutively numbered, is A PAIR OF GUNS

Two guns made by the same maker at different times, not consecutively numbered, but the second made to the same dimensions as the first gun, are A COMPOSED PAIR.

Two guns made by the same maker, bought at different times, not consecutively numbered, ( ie two AYA No 2's)  are TWO GUNS.

Just to be pedantic !