Moderated guns comparisons

mattsccm

I have aquired a .410 Mossberg pump with the add on 10" Hushpower moderator. Noise level is great but obviously the .410 has certain limitations. Can anyone give the experience of other options please with reference to noise comparisons? 12 or 20 bore maybe? Full conversion or just an add on mod? Maybe an excuse to hand load some subsonic cartridges. 

The cycling world has a theory that the optimum number of bikes is one more that you have (n+1) and I see no reason why it should no😁t apply to guns. In fact, project bikes excluded, I have the same number of both and feel a need to start the second dozen of both. 

410 is the quietest, then 20 and then 12.

410, Mainly due to smaller bore is easier to silence and powder is often used more efficiently (excess powder = excess gas = more noise).

Eley 410 magnum rounds and subsonics, not much different in noise as former are almost subsonic as well on leaving the muzzle if the moderator). Hull and Fiocchi rounds are a bit louder as maintain supersonic out of moderator.

Bigger bores, can reach out further but are noticly louder even with subsonic loads but are also more unwieldy to swing.

18g to 21g of no7 will kill pheasants to crows to pigeons to 35 yards reliably.

What are you wanting the gun to do?

As above .

410 is obviously  quietest .and 12b least so .

The issue with shooting subs (or just slow carts as that's what they are ) is that they REALLY REALLY limit the effective range of a .410 gun .but you will find a decent hull high pheasant  or fiocchi /nsi  cart will kill reliably out to  35 yds even on crows (mine did this morning )  

Screenshot_20211017-184350_Gallery.jpg

There are members on here who do cracking work with a .410.

My opinion is that 20 bore is the 'Goldilocks' calibre if you want the best balance between noise and lead in the sky.

Trying to quieten a 12bore is, in my opinion, the wrong place to start.

Seems your cabinet is going to be fuller in any case, but before you get spending, have a measure of the gun and your cabinet.  My 20bore hushie pump needed a hole in the bottom of the built-in ammo safe in order to be able to fit in the cabinet at all.  Not a problem as I don't yet hold an FAC, and even then some steel riveted round the hole would probably satisfy the FEO.