Winter fuel payment

DUNKS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Stimo22 said:

Really should only be paid to those who need it, many friends going on several cruises per year and running couple of cars. Rather mine be spend on better things but the whole Benefit system wants looking into

^^^^ This. IDS had a good look at things a couple of years back. I would get him on the job. If I recd it I would rather send it to charity. 

28 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Really should only be paid to those who need it, many friends going on several cruises per year and running couple of cars. Rather mine be spend on better things but the whole Benefit system wants looking into

Certainly not going to give it back but i agree it should be means tested. Although I can only easily afford to pay my way due to fifty years of work with never a day off. Do the ones "who by their own choice" have never done a days work deserve the payment more?

So after working for 50+ years and paying in hundreds of thousands in tax and ni we should not get this derisory payment to spend on fuel or anything they like really.bearing in mind in a lot of cases the weekly state pension is less than the weekly tax paid by a lot of pensioners when they were in work.and lets not forget after all those years working anyone who had the nerve to pay into private pensions to make life a little easier  in their declining years will then pay tax on it.i have no qualms about taking this pittance as its a lot less than some who float into this country never having done a days graft or paid a penny into our society get.

Edited by bostonmick

I have 4 pensions which I've earned - some the hard way - and all are paid for by the state so none will be described as generous. However, they are supposed to be index linked, but for the passed few years I've slowly but surely been going financially down hill so, thank you, I'll take the dosh and put it towards the TV licence which I 've been conned into continuing to pay along with the income tax.

Surely you don't begrudge me and my wife a bit of help with the fuel , we have just got our quote from British Gas for our gas and electric combined and it was a few quid short of £2000 , on the comparison site with Scottish Power it was just over £2000 , both of us worked all our working life before we retired and neither of us smoke or drink , compared to some we do live comfortable and are not worried when the next bill drop through the letter box , but it must have been 20 plus years since I last went on holiday although we are in a nice area and I am more than happy to stay around here , so if they think we don't need it then they can give it to the needy who are crossing the channel daily as we speak .

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

I've worked for nearly 45 years and never claimed a penny, not even a farthing. If I get offered £150 fuel allowance I'm bloody well going to take it. 

I looked into what I can claim if I retire early and guess what

Not a penny. 

at least when pensioners die this winter from cold your conscience will be clear some things are worth more than money 

20 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Retired at 53 and paid in plenty for over 50 years…

What role did you have when you were 3🤣

I stopped full time working at 60.then went self employed but chose when and what work i took on but still paid tax in large lumps.and just because i had the nerve to pay into private pension i now still pay tax.