Winter fuel payment

DUNKS

7 hours ago, bostonmick said:

So after working for 50+ years and paying in hundreds of thousands in tax and ni we should not get this derisory payment to spend on fuel or anything they like really.bearing in mind in a lot of cases the weekly state pension is less than the weekly tax paid by a lot of pensioners when they were in work.and lets not forget after all those years working anyone who had the nerve to pay into private pensions to make life a little easier  in their declining years will then pay tax on it.i have no qualms about taking this pittance as its a lot less than some who float into this country never having done a days graft or paid a penny into our society get.

You are absolutely correct this small payment is well deserved, what you could have done is have a load of illegitimate kid's ****** off and not bothered and left the country to pick-up the bills or stayed in your free council house living on benefits watching your sky TV.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

Surely you don't begrudge me and my wife a bit of help with the fuel , we have just got our quote from British Gas for our gas and electric combined and it was a few quid short of £2000 , on the comparison site with Scottish Power it was just over £2000 , both of us worked all our working life before we retired and neither of us smoke or drink , compared to some we do live comfortable and are not worried when the next bill drop through the letter box , but it must have been 20 plus years since I last went on holiday although we are in a nice area and I am more than happy to stay around here , so if they think we don't need it then they can give it to the needy who are crossing the channel daily as we speak .

Exactly...well said.  Tell me why the spongers should egt it and not everyone.

Hello, to those on a very basic state pension recieving the pension top will welcome their winter fuel payment, more so this year, to those who are on the normal state pension and a small private pension who cannot get the pension top up will welcome their winter payment, single pensioners male/female, widows/widowers of the above will be the ones who need this payment as their circumstances don't reflect the income of a married couple or those living as a couple with 2 incomes, but that said despite it going to millionaire pop stars and Sir Webber as mentioned I am happy to get mine, as a side note you only need 35 years of paying in to receive a full state pension yet a certain government decided as people are living longer hey you cannot retire to your 67 , !!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Why is this payment causing so much talk? We have the highest retirement age lowest pension in Europe and some of the highest cost of living so i welcome it as a single OAP.    Yet no one moans at the cost of keeping those that have not paid into the system and never will 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I still don't understand why my cousin and her husband who live in Spain should get it ?

I dont think they should. As far as I recall there is a date every year whereby you have to be resident in the UK. If not you dont get it. 

Maybe they live in Spain but dont tell the government they do.  Anyhow those days are now over. You can only stay in Spsin for 90 days every 180 . If you need to stay longer your have to apply for Spanish residency and once you do that many of your British entitlements end.

It is nice to see such polarised opinion of those in our society who are living off the state on a lifestyle of benefits.

My wife’s grandmother (in her 90s) tried to refuse or return her winter fuel payment unsuccessfully so donates it to a local food bank charity.

Edited by WalkedUp

42 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

It is nice to see such polarised opinion of those in our society who are living off the state on a lifestyle of benefits.

My wife’s grandmother (in her 90s) tried to refuse or return her winter fuel credit unsuccessfully so donates it to a local food bank charity.

Hello, the only style of benefits one gets at pension age is a pension or pension credit, there are others relating to disability and caring for a family member, so a husband caring for his wife get just over £300 a week, and this is a lot of 1000s of couples in UK who have served their time yet were not able to afford a private pension, this will come round again when the 25 to 40s of today paying so much rent they can hardly afford to save, then there are people like myself who give the allowance to a family member due to a medical condition and unable to work, if a person has no need of this allowance and applaud your wife's grandmother ok but the vast majority I think do, 

So as the price of gas and electricity is about to rise and bills are set to rise by up to 40% over the year its comforting to note so many who begrudge this money to some of the poorest in the country.if you are working and your bill goes up by say 500 a year you have options maybe a few hours overtime a year will cover it.or maybe give up a packet of fags a week or drop the bottle of wine you have each evening.maybe drop a pint or two a week.however most of these things cannot be done by pensioners .this country has some of the lowest pension payments in the world yet we have one of the largest aid packages in the world and most goes to countries that are not in need and we are possibly the most generous country towards illegal migrants and asylum seekers in the world.look after our own first to all the younger people who disagree with this payment going to our elderly just remember they were the ones paying in so you could have free education free health care.and for a lot free housing with the taxes they paid they are fully entitled to get some help now.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

My wife’s grandmother (in her 90s) tried to refuse or return her winter fuel payment unsuccessfully so donates it to a local food bank charity.

For someone to spend on another tattoo.  Food banks are the biggest joke out.  For the feckless and idle.

She’s from a wealthy family, married a wealthy man and worked her entire life as a district nurse then retired and became a magistrate and chairwoman of a small housing association. Some people are born to make this world a better place for others, some are born to take all they can for themselves. 

So a total income from state pension and private pension is 16000 per year and the government deem i have to pay 1000 a year in tax so i will take whatever i can get back.my fuel payment will be 150 so they are still in profit.of course nobody needs more than the 15k they leave me unless of course you are one of our poor mps who it was recently claimed it was a struggle to live on 80k plus expenses and needed a 20k a year rise.

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

So a total income from state pension and private pension is 16000 per year and the government deem i have to pay 1000 a year in tax so i will take whatever i can get back.my fuel payment will be 150 so they are still in profit.of course nobody needs more than the 15k they leave me unless of course you are one of our poor mps who it was recently claimed it was a struggle to live on 80k plus expenses and needed a 20k a year rise.

Well, perhaps we would all struggle to scoot about scoffing at the rate they seem to do on that pittance?

Must be galling to have such a rush every day?

Edited by old man

14 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I highlight the disparity in judgment on PW between others receiving benefits (‘they are scroungers’) and oneself receiving a benefit (‘it is my money anyway’). 

I doubt any of these benefits will survive the 50 years until I retire, so until then I’ll fend for myself 💪

You are most likely right.also i doubt there will be any nhs either education will likely be private thrn also.the way our governments are going the priorities are to look after the rest of the world before our own.

On 19/10/2021 at 07:56, WalkedUp said:

But does this reflect a percentage return verses rates of Social charges in other Countries? 
From those I’ve lived and worked in, we pay the lowest in the form of NI. 

Can’t expect to get the most or if you pay the least in?