Humidity in a gun safe

enumber

A little help and advice sought please. My brattonsound gunsafe is in the cellar. Needless to say this isn't an ideal location, but it's out of sight and realistically is the only practical location in the house except the loft, which isn't really that practical as I would wake my young children accessing them on my early morning and night shooting exploits.

Unsurprisingly one of my guns is starting to show some minor signs of corrosion. Despite fairly regular cleaning and ritualistic application of silicone spray and silicone cloth before putting them away. I've even tried putting them all in silicone gun socks while in the safe.

The cellar is damp to the point I fitted an extractor fan to try and wick away the moisture. I've also been putting in those moisture traps from the homeware stores. Though these aren't great as if they spill the contents as turns out the chemicals are pretty corrosive. I had to change a screw on my butt plate as it came into contact with the fluid and rusted pretty badly.

I'm looking at other solutions for humidity. I've tried all of the above plus the usual vp90 sachet and even those vp90 wipes.

My thoughts are an electronic bar type dehumidifier or some sort of mini fan vent, like you get in the backs of PC's. I could fit a very narrow electrical cord in the door hinge. Otherwise it would mean drilling a small hole. Has anyone ever done this, I assume it's fairly strong steel? Also would this wreck the cabinets BS certification, even if it was only a tiny 6+8mm whole to accommodate an electrical cord.

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I'd be looking to reduce the damp in the celler .

Fix the cause not the symptom 

Already tried to address that. I fitted an envirovent extractor fan that runs 24hrs/365 and fitted a new rad which keeps it at minimum 15c. I'd hate to think how bad it would be if I hadn't done those 😣

But that said and done I'm still considering a stand alone dehumidifier outside the cabinet.

My cabinet(s) are in the loft. Very hot in Summer and freezing in Winter. Guns get a wipe with an oily rag before putting away.

A sheet of VPI paper in each cabinet and I have never suffered any rusting over several decades.

But I agree the best solution is to cure the damp in your cellar.

12 minutes ago, enumber said:

Already tried to address that. I fitted an envirovent extractor fan that runs 24hrs/365 and fitted a new rad which keeps it at minimum 15c. I'd hate to think how bad it would be if I hadn't done those 😣

But that said and done I'm still considering a stand alone dehumidifier outside the cabinet.

I was thinking of a more permanent  solution .use a plastic damp proof membrane on the floor and walls of the cellar and re board it out .vent the area behind the plastic to the exterior . Not the  ceiling void  .fix the problem .if you try to dry  the air in the wet cellar your just pulling more water/moisture into the building .it wont  stop   

3 minutes ago, Mutiny said:

You could try a goldenrod gunsafe dehumidifier or similar; dehumidifier might be a bit of a misnomer as it appears to be a heating element, but it might be worth a look 

Good shout on that. I have found one on Amazon for ~£40. I might double that up with the acf-50 And vpi paper mentioned above. 

I'm a little bit OCD and if they get rusty it will do my head in

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

I was thinking of a more permanent  solution .use a plastic damp proof membrane on the floor and walls of the cellar and re board it out .vent the area behind the plastic to the exterior . Not the  ceiling void  .fix the problem .if you try to dry  the air in the wet cellar your just pulling more water/moisture into the building .it wont  stop   

I think that's a good call. My neighbour has just done something similar to use the cellar as a lockdown office space and seems to be fairly habitable after that. 

Gonna be significant time and expense so I'll have to keep it at bay in the meantime. I'll might just have to get really regular on the cleaning routine, rather than the ones that get used the most get cleaned the most. 

The one that's show a bit of corrosion is admittedly one I don't use very often. Fortunately I had a bit of a cull and got rid of a few guns a year or two back so not got too many to clean these days.

When my safe was in the loft I used to fit a really low wattage light bulb in the bottom of mine and it used to keep the inside of the safe nice and warm and stop any condensation. Have to be careful not to fit a high wattage as it can get quit hot in an enclosed space and could dry out the wood.

Moved it into the small bedroom when my son moved out and don't have the problem anymore.

Edited by Graham M

Get a proper plug-in dehumidifier not those chemical nonsense things.

Set it to 60% RH and let it come on as needed. You’ll probably have to empty its tank once every 48h or so. You can plumb them into a drain but that is unlikely to work for you

This will at least be effective in fighting the symptoms rather than the actual root cause, but that could get expensive fast.

Cellars are always damp, it’s a fact of life, even ones built in countries where they routinely build below ground.

I’d be rethinking that as a location for my guns personally.  Utility room cupboard?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I use plenty of silicone and packets, but something similar to putting low 40w bulb at bottom of safe will generate airflow… it’s same principle with billtong cabinet to dry cure meat. It’s not hot… but obviously a nuisance taking space in safe

a dehumidifier sounds better idea if can’t fix the root cause