12g to 410 reduces

Revo

8 minutes ago, Revo said:

Was going to use as a single shot .ejected the cartridge manually 

If you did, the expanding gases are only going to have the length of the adaptor to be of any use, as soon as the payload reaches the much wider barrel bore the oomph will be gone, I very much doubt the pattern would be of much use.

I would say you would be better to buy a 410. Plenty of single shots on the market for little money. 

The problem with an auto as I see it would be the ejector system which would need somewhere to go alongside the adapter and then it would probably pull the adapter out  basically it ain't going to work.

The additional problem is it will throw shot everywhere. A simple single shot 410 will have the choke to match the cartridge. A far better idea.

A .410 adaptor is a chunk of steel about six inches long. You would have to disassemble your gun, drop the adaptor in and put it together again. Never.

They do have their uses though. When my dad was getting old and slow and he had no dog he would carry an adaptor with 2" cartridges to stop pigeons which were runners under the brambles

1 hour ago, mattsccm said:

I must admit to be one of those looking for an adaptor although not for my semi. Jus another of those "becoz I can " items. 

You can get a .410 cheaper than an adaptor. 

From what I understand they are an absolute sod to remove once fired as they jam in the barrel. Often have to forced free by a rod down the barrel.

21 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

From what I understand they are an absolute sod to remove once fired as they jam in the barrel. Often have to forced free by a rod down the barrel.

No, the adaptors do not jam in the barrel, but the .410 empties are awkward to remove from the adaptors.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

No, the adaptors do not jam in the barrel, but the .410 empties are awkward to remove from the adaptors.

I've never used them so have no first hand knowledge. Maybe that's what they meant by stuck.

As you can buy a reasonably priced older  .410 from a dealer complete with warranty for less than half the price of an adapter I see little point in buying.

I got a pair of 20 gauge to 410 adaptors from Brownells when my lad was younger and recoil sensitive. Put them through a yildiz and threw surprisingly good pattern through 1/4 and skeet. Bit of a clat to knock out the empties though, need to carry a screw driver, big Allen key or punch etc to knock them out. They did what we needed to but a dirty exercise as well.