M O T Question Please ?

marsh man

Morning all ..... Took my car in last week for a m o t , I knew the handbrake was slack and I had my warning light on for the air bags , I did mention this to the chap at the garage who booked me in for first thing last Thursday morning , took it in and as the day worn on the garage chap rang me to find out where my security nut was as it needed two new tyres , fair enough and I was hopping I would get it back later that day , I rang him up last thing in the afternoon to see if was ready and , no sorry I had to order the tyres and they will come in the morning , fair enough , I rang again the next day at dinner time and it was just being retested and by the time I walked from my house it would be ready for collection .

After I paid him I looked at the failure note on the M O T and all it stated was the two tyres needed replacing , hand brake need attention and a faulty windscreen pump , no mention of the air bag light and when I left the garage it was still on .

So should they have failed it on the air bag light , and is it safe to drive ?

THANKS

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Morning all ..... Took my car in last week for a m o t , I knew the handbrake was slack and I had my warning light on for the air bags , I did mention this to the chap at the garage who booked me in for first thing last Thursday morning , took it in and as the day worn on the garage chap rang me to find out where my security nut was as it needed two new tyres , fair enough and I was hopping I would get it back later that day , I rang him up last thing in the afternoon to see if was ready and , no sorry I had to order the tyres and they will come in the morning , fair enough , I rang again the next day at dinner time and it was just being retested and by the time I walked from my house it would be ready for collection .

After I paid him I looked at the failure note on the M O T and all it stated was the two tyres needed replacing , hand brake need attention and a faulty windscreen pump , no mention of the air bag light and when I left the garage it was still on .

THANKS

Any dashboard warning light results in a failed MOT

Is it safe, no-one knows for sure but I wouldn't have a problem if it was my car

8 hours ago, marsh man said:

THANKS

If they saw it and it was a fail they wouldn't have passed it so clearly it wasn't a fail.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

If they saw it and it was a fail they wouldn't have passed it so clearly it wasn't a fail.

Evening Harry ... Yes you could clearly see the air bag light on and I did mention it to the garage chap who rang me up to see where my security wheel is kept , it was also retested when the failed items were put right .

You would think this would be a failure across the board but we see some members having their car passed with the same problem , it seem a bit silly failing my motor because one small plastic windscreen pump worked but don't work 100% and yet the air bag light which is a warning that something isn't right passed the requirement by the tester , 

I will mention it Thursday and ask them to put it back in working order .

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Evening Harry ... Yes you could clearly see the air bag light on and I did mention it to the garage chap who rang me up to see where my security wheel is kept , it was also retested when the failed items were put right .

You would think this would be a failure across the board but we see some members having their car passed with the same problem , it seem a bit silly failing my motor because one small plastic windscreen pump worked but don't work 100% and yet the air bag light which is a warning that something isn't right passed the requirement by the tester , 

I will mention it Thursday and ask them to put it back in working order .

My warning light that's been on my dash for 2 years tells you that you are too close to the driver in front say on the motorway and puts the brakes on apparently to prevent a low speed collision.

I keep meaning to get it fixed but I've never had it before so don't miss it.

4 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Most likely a faulty connection or sensor, not something that stops them working properly.

Don't be surprised if it costs £1k to find the actual fault and fix it.

God almighty 39TDS , the car isn't worth much more than that :lol: , I am due for a change next year so I might have to resort in putting a bit of Black tape over the light and just forget about it :hmm:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

God almighty 39TDS , the car isn't worth much more than that :lol: , I am due for a change next year so I might have to resort in putting a bit of Black tape over the light and just forget about it :hmm:

Exactly.

Couldn't understand your insistence on getting it fixed. 

I don't think I could drive knowing that the light is showing a problem.  But what IS the fault??  The bag may not inflate in the event of an accident when it's needed to possibly prevent serious injury?  Or, it may just inflate for no reason when carrying passengers and doing 70 on the motorway?  You pays your money............................................. 

11 hours ago, Wymondley said:

MOT Tester here.

Those saying any warning lamp on is a failure are wrong, it depends on what the lamp is and what it's indicating amongst other things.

An airbag light on that indicates a fault is a major failure.

I will bow to your greater knowledge, but I've always been told an SRS light is a failure, an airbag light is not? 

12 hours ago, Wymondley said:

MOT Tester here.

Those saying any warning lamp on is a failure are wrong, it depends on what the lamp is and what it's indicating amongst other things.

An airbag light on that indicates a fault is a major failure.

Thanks.

Lads, the MOT manual is online, probably takes you less time to look up the question at the definitive source, than to type it up on PW?  It's searchable too.

23 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

but I've always been told an SRS light is a failure, an airbag light is not? 

Per the 'book':

7.1.6. Supplementary restraint system (SRS)
The SRS MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) should only be failed if it is indicating a system malfunction. A lamp illuminated to indicate the passenger airbag is disabled is not to be regarded as a defect.

Warning messages on dashboard displays are not a defect in their own right, but may assist the tester in determining that the warning lamp is illuminated because a malfunction exists.

Defect Category
(a) An SRS malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) indicates a system malfunction Major

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I will bow to your greater knowledge, but I've always been told an SRS light is a failure, an airbag light is not? 

The air bag or often multiple air bags, are just components of the supplementary restraint system (SRS) along with seat belt pre tensioners, deployment modules and impact sensors.

There is only one warning lamp to display a fault for the whole system, SRS/Airbag light, one in the same.

That said, some vehicles have a separate light that indicates the passenger air bag has been disabled, having this illuminated doesn't indicate a fault and therefore doesn't constitute a failure.

Perhaps that's where the confusion comes from?

48 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Perhaps that's where the confusion comes from

No, red airbag warning light = not failure. 

SRS  warning light = failure. 

As Udderley quoted from the handbook. 

I'm not an MOT tester, but I take 3 or 4 cars a week for MOT, across 3 different stations, and this has been the case for nearly 10 years. 

Apparently an SRS  system is not considered the same thing as an airbag? Although an airbag may be part of SRS systems, amongst other safety equipment. 

20 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

No, red airbag warning light = not failure. 

SRS  warning light = failure. 

As Udderley quoted from the handbook. 

I'm not an MOT tester, but I take 3 or 4 cars a week for MOT, across 3 different stations, and this has been the case for nearly 10 years. 

Apparently an SRS  system is not considered the same thing as an airbag? Although an airbag may be part of SRS systems, amongst other safety equipment. 

I'd have to disagree.

An airbag is part of the SRS, it can't function independently. 

Some manufactures use the SRS symbol for the warning indicator others an airbag pictogram, they both mean the same thing when illuminated, there is a fault within the SRS.

supplemental restraint system (plural supplemental restraint systems)

1. (automotive) Any of several restraining systems in a vehicle, such as an airbag, in addition to the seatbelts

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

Why would you take a vehicle for testing with the light on if you know it will fail?

Err, these are customers cars. 

You take it for an MOT, you get a failure list, quote for the work, they can decide if that's acceptable, you then do the work and retest.? 

You can do it back to front if you like, do work before the test, take it for test, maybe fail again, more work.... Sometimes MOT work can cost more than the cars worth, so the pre test work is wasted? 

Airbag/SRS issues can be extremely difficult or expensive to fix, it's not just a case of switching the light off. The light comes on for a reason.