M O T Question Please ?

marsh man

22 hours ago, Rewulf said:

All I can say to you is I've never had a car fail on an airbag light, but every time on the SRS light. 

And all I can say to you is there are without doubt, testers who misinterpret the manual, I've worked with some.

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Airbag/SRS issues can be extremely difficult or expensive to fix, it's not just a case of switching the light off. The light comes on for a reason. 

If you, or the test station you use are correct and that reason is say, an open circuit on an impact sensor, a car that uses "SRS" as the fault indicator light would fail but a different car with the same fault but using a pictogram or the words "AIR BAG" would pass?

Because that is what you are suggesting and not only is it wrong but it's plainly absurd.

I've been in the trade repairing all sorts of vehicles for over 40 years and testing for many of them, I do know what I'm talking about, I can assure you.

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I've been in the trade repairing all sorts of vehicles for over 40 years and testing for many of them, I do know what I'm talking about, I can assure you

I must apologise Wymondley, I have actually got it wrong, I stopped doing the mechanical part of things about 20 years ago, and have a couple of mechanics, while I just do bodywork. 

I asked him this afternoon if I was talking out my behind, and it appears I am 😳, for the past 5 years he says that ANY warning light is a failure. {except for disconnected items} 

Sorry for doubting, I'm just living in the past 😁

17 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I must apologise Wymondley, I have actually got it wrong, I stopped doing the mechanical part of things about 20 years ago, and have a couple of mechanics, while I just do bodywork. 

I asked him this afternoon if I was talking out my behind, and it appears I am 😳, for the past 5 years he says that ANY warning light is a failure. {except for disconnected items} 

Sorry for doubting, I'm just living in the past 😁

No need to apologise, we all have opinions, right and wrong, it would be sad state of affairs if we couldn't express them.

When it comes to the MOT, plenty of mechanics that have never tested get it wrong and plenty of testers that should know better get it equally wrong as well!

The general opinion is the manual is poorly written anyway.+

And as to living in the past, well, I've always considered it to be a far nicer place.