Dsc1 questions

Dazv

Hi guys, I’ve got my dsc1 assessment day next weekend which I’m really looking forward to. Anyway the course book that I have been given to study from is huge and I understand there is so much to learn when it comes to deer stalking and everything that comes with it. Would I be expected to remember every single bit of information in the book as it is seeming like a very difficult task. Please don’t think this is because it’s lack of commitment to the sport I just struggle with retaining some information particularly dates.

cheers guys 

Darren 

Ultimate Deer Data online training available only from the British Deer Society is an interactive training package enabling you to acquire and test your knowledge in preparation for taking the Deer Stalking Certificate 1.  A you need to no well worth £20 learn and test yourself 

1 hour ago, Dazv said:

Hi guys, I’ve got my dsc1 assessment day next weekend which I’m really looking forward to. Anyway the course book that I have been given to study from is huge and I understand there is so much to learn when it comes to deer stalking and everything that comes with it. Would I be expected to remember every single bit of information in the book as it is seeming like a very difficult task

If I remember correctly from when I did DSC1 in 2001 there were 300 questions in the training book, from which any 50 could be selected randomly for the actual test. 
So, yes, you need to learn the lot. 
Pass mark is (was) 40/50.

I used the CD when I did mine and it was useful. I didn't find the questions too tricky as they're multiple choice and some of the 'wrong' answers are just daft. (Some examples are here: https://www.dmq.org.uk/downloads/ )

I also found the dates a bit tricky especially as I would have thought anyone would check them if in any doubt. What I did find useful is adding some meaning to the date, so in England the roe buck open season is April 1st to Oct 31, fools day to halloween. The roe doe open season is the opposite so Nov 1st to 31st Mar.

Get the dates in your head the rest will come from your interest in the subject. The hardest bit is probably the animal ID but even with that there will be sufficient obvious ones not to be concerned. 

If you have not already you should practice the shooting. I could not believe the poor levels of marksmanship from apparently experienced stalkers. One had at least 4 attempts before being told to come back another date. 

good luck. 

Thanks for the reply I’m just trying to get the dates in my head now, having to remember the Scottish dates keeps throwing me off too. Yeah I’ve practiced the shooting a number of times now and I’m pretty confident with it. I’ll go out one more time just to make sure! Centerfires get awful expensive to practice with! Haha 

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

With respect Dazv, do you consider it right that someone who doesn’t know when the seasons start and finish should be out stalking deer?

Just asking.

To be fair it’s not hard to look at a shooting Callander before you go stalking to check 

do you really need to know the season of all deer if there’s only one type in your area 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

With respect Dazv, do you consider it right that someone who doesn’t know when the seasons start and finish should be out stalking deer?

Just asking.

I know what you mean, I wouldn’t try to shoot out of season deer of course, it only takes a second to look it up online to check, my problem that I’m struggling is trying to retain all the dates of the open season plus dates of when young are born, rutting, casting antlers etc. I’m severely dyslexic and dates are somthing i struggle to store, like I said it’s not lack of commitment to the world of deer stalking and is something I’m taking seriously which is why I’m trying to seek advice from you guys. Cheers 

• 3 weeks later...