Cost to rejoint?

keeper96

Evening all, 

Im just back from a trip to holts to pick up some auction acquisitions. 

one of them was an army and navy box lock ejector with recently sleeved barrels that was worth a cheeky punt for the price I paid. 

the problem is it’s loose on the face, can anyone shed a rough price on how much it would cost for a proper rejointing job? 

it needs a general tidy up with some attention to the stock and lengthening but I like a project.

im hoping to keep this for long term use so don’t mind paying for a good job as I have an almost exact replica but with tight chokes and 2.5” chambers, this new one has 1/4 both barrels and 2 3/4 chambers so should be good for standard steel in the future.

thanks all. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

i cant see where you live   i would use  john Wiseman  at Cannock   old school taught by his dad    he sorted mine while there  witnessed guns  shot to ribbons i couldn't afford   sir alfed pair              ive known   john over  40yrs    he is my go to bloke     take it to john  he will give you back a new gun   fitted to you     make the journey  you will not be disappointed 

All depends on how much work needs to be done , as it has been sleeved , assume that some joint work was done when it was submitted for proof . 

How this was done may affect the amount of work to be done and what the outcome will be .

You may have to accept that the dolls head/ club extension will never look exactly right without a substantial amount of work all adding g to the cost. 

These old Webley's can also be a bit tricky about the ejector tripping after a re-joint so thats something else that has to be considered in the overall equation . 

I can't even hazard a guess at how many guns I have tightened / re-jointed over time and most all go back together without problem ,but until its stripped down , worked on and put back together you never know what problems will arise , be it ejector timing , broken or stripped threads  ,badly fitted replacement springs or previous " work" that leaves a lot to be desired .

Edited by Gunman

I would definitely recommend FJ Wiseman for gun repairs.
I took 2 shotguns into them a few weeks ago, and was very happy with their work.

I took a Zoli shotgun into them for repair after it developed a crack in the wood near the top lever.

The gun was repaired and the stock re oiled.

I also took an old Lanber shotgun which I purchased 40 years ago from Litts in Newport, when they had the little shop in Malpas Road.

Out of all the guns I have, I still prefer using the old fixed choke Lanber.

It was stripped and re blued, and on collecting last Saturday, it looked better than the day I purchased it.

The service provided was excellent, from discussing the repairs and quotes.

I was asked how urgent I required the guns, and told them there was no urgency as I was more concerned with having the guns done properly.

I must say on collection last weekend, their didn’t disappoint.

I remember when they had their shop in Price Street in Brum. My wife and I went in there one day to buy some cartridges and there was no-one around. We waited for ages and then all of a sudden there were two loud bangs under the floor below us and a small cloud of dust started to rise around our feet.

He used to use the cellar underneath to test fire guns after working on them. The pub on the corner is still there and is called The Gunmakers Arms.

The rest has all been torn down. Sad!!

Wisemans.jpg.473a44c29162a4d8256fd8bd9d782d5e.jpg

12 hours ago, Graham M said:

I remember when they had their shop in Price Street in Brum. My wife and I went in there one day to buy some cartridges and there was no-one around. We waited for ages and then all of a sudden there were two loud bangs under the floor below us and a small cloud of dust started to rise around our feet.

He used to use the cellar underneath to test fire guns after working on them. The pub on the corner is still there and is called The Gunmakers Arms.

I thought the Gunmakers was on the corner of Bath St and Little Shadwell St .

12 hours ago, Graham M said:

It’s the Bull Pub on the corner of Price st and Loveday st.

Gunmakers Arms are on the corner of Bath St and Little Shadwell St.

that picture of Wisemans brings back many a happy memory of hours spent in there and Ben Wilds.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Powell's had an iron 'tube' they used to test fire when they were at Carr's Lane.

Test firing in places you would not expect now was standard practice in the old Birmingham trade. Wilds used to stick them out of the hole in the broken window and fire over the rooftops.

You are absolutely correct old'un. I was mixing it up with when I used to go round to Bailons, when Malcolm Guthrie was based there.

Just shows how long it's been since I have walked around those areas as now I only go down Price St to see Malcolm Cruxton who is across the landing from Benjamin Wild.

Used to love to go into the shop when Colin was blacking barrels. Bit like cooking; some people can do it and others can't. Nice lad was Colin and sadly missed.

Don't go into Brum anyway now as they have introduced a "Clean air zone" and it would cost me £8 to take anything in and another £8 to go back for it.

Edited by Graham M

I wanted to go to a supplier of safety clothing to pick up some work gear for my grandson. It was on the opposite side of Brum which meant going around the ring road.

Jeeze what a nightmare. It was a bit of a jaunt at normal times, but now!!!

A simple ten minute trip around the ring road turned into thirty five minutes, as the traffic was now unbelievable. Anyone wanting to go from the south of Brum through the Queensway tunnel onto the Aston Expressway ( a two minute run through Birmingham ) now has a choice. Pay £8 for the two minute journey, or go around the ring road and add another thirty five minutes onto your journey. The pollution around Birmingham is now much greater than before and the eejits in the town hall honestly believe that there is some invisible wall stopping it blowing across the centre of town. 

Nothing to do with clean air for inner city residents, because there aren't that many and the people living around the ring road are now being subjected to even greater pollution. 

Thousands of motorists per day being charged. £8 for cars, taxis and LGVs and £50 for coaches, buses and HGVs.

It's not hard to see the revenue being generated is it.

I have pretty much given up the idea of visiting these cities that charge to visit/drive.  My car doesn't meet London rules, I hate driving in London now, I used to go to B'ham occasionally, but no more.  I will do my business on line, or find somewhere I'm not robbed for access. 

I feel very sorry for the traders there losing out for the greed of their councils.

54 minutes ago, Graham M said:

I wanted to go to a supplier of safety clothing to pick up some work gear for my grandson. It was on the opposite side of Brum which meant going around the ring road.

Jeeze what a nightmare. It was a bit of a jaunt at normal times, but now!!!

A simple ten minute trip around the ring road turned into thirty five minutes, as the traffic was now unbelievable. Anyone wanting to go from the south of Brum through the Queensway tunnel onto the Aston Expressway ( a two minute run through Birmingham ) now has a choice. Pay £8 for the two minute journey, or go around the ring road and add another thirty five minutes onto your journey. The pollution around Birmingham is now much greater than before and the eejits in the town hall honestly believe that there is some invisible wall stopping it blowing across the centre of town. 

Nothing to do with clean air for inner city residents, because there aren't that many and the people living around the ring road are now being subjected to even greater pollution. 

Thousands of motorists per day being charged. £8 for cars, taxis and LGVs and £50 for coaches, buses and HGVs.

It's not hard to see the revenue being generated is it.

Last time I went into Brum was to get the barrels blacked on my O/U at Ben Wild price St, think that was about 6 or 7 years ago, sadly Ben Wild as now shut its doors for good but at the time Brian was running the work shop doing mainly barrel blacking, did a fantastic job on the barrels.

There's still a few gun related trades in the “ New Buildings” at the top of Price St, but I doubt I would every venture into Brum again.

And that is the problem as it will deter a lot of potential customer from going into town and buying things. The internet has taken away a lot of feet on the ground in Birmingham shops. And so the dipsticks on the council add another disincentive to shoppers.

The only thing they seem interested in is the gay pride marches. 

16 hours ago, Graham M said:

And that is the problem as it will deter a lot of potential customer from going into town and buying things. The internet has taken away a lot of feet on the ground in Birmingham shops. And so the dipsticks on the council add another disincentive to shoppers.

The only thing they seem interested in is the gay pride marches. 

That seems to the the planned use for the closed underpasses G. Walkabouts, along with the trade going?

As said, sorry for the traders left but the council knows best?