3" or 3.5"

Realale

Finally after having both cars failing mots and needing lots of money spent I will be able to order my new gun in November. 

The gun is available as a 3 or 3.5 ar no extra cost. 

Almost all of shooting is crows over decoys but I do shoot inland geese for a few weeks of the year. 

With the lead bad in the future, what size would be best for me? 

14 minutes ago, Realale said:

Finally after having both cars failing mots and needing lots of money spent I will be able to order my new gun in November. 

The gun is available as a 3 or 3.5 ar no extra cost. 

Almost all of shooting is crows over decoys but I do shoot inland geese for a few weeks of the year. 

With the lead bad in the future, what size would be best for me? 

If most of your shooting is at Crows over decoys why would you want a 3" or a 3.5 ? and what cartridges do you intend to use ? , as for inland geese and even coastal come to that , a decent 2 3/4 with half and three quarter choke will cater for most of your needs , I would buy a sound second hand gun to begin with in case you don't get on with it , or you need something lighter , or heavier, plenty of good used guns available at the moment in gun shops and at auction houses so don't waste your money on a new one and then you decide to change it in a few months time . GOOD LUCK

3 inch would be most versatile for your intended use.

3 inch will generally cycle 2.5, 2.75 and 3 inch without any issues and 36g of No1 Steel will drop geese to 50 yards.

3.5 inch wil be generally be less able to cycle the lower power shorter rounds (2.5 especially due to gas bypassing the wad) possibly giving issues in reliability.

The availability and price of 3.5 inch cartridges is also an issue.

Edited by Stonepark

14 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

But, maybe you can kill longer range crows as they are pretty clever and usually stay at distance!

May I ask which gun you are looking at and as above what is your go to cartridge?

Interested in gun type too. I`m guessing something like franchi affinity ?

In theory using a 70mm case in a gun with a 76mm or 89mm chamber isn't good as gas will escape around the wad which could then, possibly, lead to the shot patterning badly.

However that does depend IMHO on if the wad is able to bridge the gap (in other words long enough to seal the extra leed). In practical terms hundreds, nay thousands of 2 3/4" cartridges were used (and indeed true 2 1/2" cartridges not today's 67.5mm types) in the old English 3" guns with no practical lesser performance. But as to using a 2 1/2" (or 67mm) cartridge in an 89mm chambered gun I can make no useful input. I don't know.

What a longer case does...often much overlooked...is allow larger diameter shot to be loaded with a crimp closure where in a shorter cartridge you'd have to use a roll turnover.

So that's what? That's mostly lettered shot such as the the old English SG and LG sizes. But I think it'd have merit if you were handloading say BB or AAA for your geese, yes. Or in the future shot that is of a less dense mass than lead which therefore must be of larger diameter to achieve "an equivalent weight" of a lesser diameter lead shot.

I have recently bought a Franchi affinity with 3 inch chamber ,because all of my goose shooting has always been done with my  favourite home load 36 grams of no 2 steel in a 3 inch case ,I loaded 75 for me and me mates annual trip to Scotland,

Sadly to my horror they don't cycle in the Franchi just a little too long they were fine in me mates 3 1/2 extreme ,so if you are a home loader bear this in mind.

I have no intention of using another cartridge so the Franchi will have to go and maybe be replaced by a 31/2 of some type ,if anyone in the south west is looking for an as new one message me.

I've recently moved from a Beretta Urika to a Franchi  Affinity 3.5 Elite and, as per my pre purchase research, it cycles light 28gm 67mm clay loads like Eley Select with no issues. Lovely gun, great adjustable fit, well made, nice recoil, less cleaning and Benelli technology in a stock that fits me better, very happy

On 19/10/2021 at 15:12, Realale said:

👍

On 19/10/2021 at 14:11, Mullard83 said:

I have been thinking about one of these for a while too. Please put up some pics and your thoughts on it if you would be so kind as it may make my mind up on getting one.

Some pics

_20211027_214119.JPG

7 hours ago, Mullard83 said:

I like the look of the cerakoted action & barrels, but the stock pattern sort of reminds me of a snake skin type look. Are there other stock colour options do you know ?

With the Elite its only the below presently. 

Cobalt cerakote with OPTIFADE™ Timber Camo stock and forend.

- Bronze cerakote with OPTIFADE™ Marsh Camo stock and forend.

I prefer the timber so went with that. I looks better in real life to be honest. 

In the US there's wood options and black I seem to recall. Not sure if they'll ever get to us. After buying mine a few weeks ago I was told that the RRP is going up £300 soon!

Edited by Oly

Enfield Spares is right about the obturation in 3 1/2 inch guns, using shorter cartridges.  I have been using Hull Superfast Pigeon in my Benelli 3 1/2, and opened a cartridge to see what the wadding was.  It had two felt wads, which easily filled the gap.  They work fine for pigeon. I don't think any other maker uses two wads in a pigeon cartridge, but Hull say its designed for Auto's, and it works. 

21 hours ago, Oly said:

With the Elite its only the below presently. 

Cobalt cerakote with OPTIFADE™ Timber Camo stock and forend.

- Bronze cerakote with OPTIFADE™ Marsh Camo stock and forend.

I prefer the timber so went with that. I looks better in real life to be honest. 

In the US there's wood options and black I seem to recall. Not sure if they'll ever get to us. After buying mine a few weeks ago I was told that the RRP is going up £300 soon!

So are you saying there is a wood option for the elite for uk market or did you get pay extra to get wood ? I see they are retailing about £875 at the moment on guntrader & I would go with the 3" chamber. Think I need to go buy one quick if the price is going to go up.

Edited by Mullard83
rrp correction

6 hours ago, Mullard83 said:

So are you saying there is a wood option for the elite for uk market or did you get pay extra to get wood ? I see they are retailing about £875 at the moment on guntrader & I would go with the 3" chamber. Think I need to go buy one quick if the price is going to go up.

There's no Elite option in wood available in the UK. There's no Elite version in 3in chambers either - the Elites are all 3.5in.

The cheaper the Affinity 1 or Affinity 3 have 3in chambers - no cerakote or oversized knobs and whistles though! 

The range thats available in the UK is here https://www.gmk.co.uk/browse/franchi/shotguns/semi-auto

Like I say, my 3.5in appears to do everything a 3in does and more, so it was a no brainer for me. 

Edited by Oly

On 19/10/2021 at 12:47, Dave at kelton said:

3” is perfectly adequate for all you are doing. 3.5” is really one for the foreshore and maximum loads at long range.

True, for now. Once plaswads are inevitably banned, however, then the 3.5" cartridge case MAY have a resurgence to accommodate thicker "sustainable" alternatives [but with 3" loadings]....

9 hours ago, spartina2 said:

True, for now. Once plaswads are inevitably banned, however, then the 3.5" cartridge case MAY have a resurgence to accommodate thicker "sustainable" alternatives [but with 3" loadings]....

A very good point 😊👍

I hope some development goes into the bigger loads with non tox non plastic it’s going to be a thing of the future 👍