Earthshot Prize

old man

we hear very little of the Tochomat experiment despite billions going into it in the EU...the french are now building a full size one...started it a few years ago and the UK....think they are building a 3/4 scale new one...i remember going past the experimental one in oxford in 1980...wondering

"they" are keeping very quiet about it...........

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

we hear very little of the Tochomat experiment despite billions going into it in the EU...the french are now building a full size one...started it a few years ago and the UK....think they are building a 3/4 scale new one...i remember going past the experimental one in oxford in 1980...wondering

"they" are keeping very quiet about it...........

The reason they are very quiet about it is that it doesn't really work on Earth, other than for a few  seconds and even then the energy output achieved compared with the energy used to get it working is not even break even and is stil in realms of scifi. The best yet I believe is Chinese where they managed just over 100 seconds, but energy in was greater than energy out.

Effectively the sun core teperature is 15million Kelvin (or Celcius doesn't really matter at this scale), but to get a tokomak to work on earth you need to get the plasma up to 150million kelvin as there is no extreme of pressure available.

The suns core pressure also means that the Hydrogen in the core is in its metallic form (has formed a lattice structure) whereas we are experimenting on earth with plasma (gas with electrons stripped from it) which further makes matters difficult.

35 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

The reason they are very quiet about it is that it doesn't really work on Earth, other than for a few  seconds and even then the energy output achieved compared with the energy used to get it working is not even break even and is stil in realms of scifi. The best yet I believe is Chinese where they managed just over 100 seconds, but energy in was greater than energy out.

Effectively the sun core teperature is 15million Kelvin (or Celcius doesn't really matter at this scale), but to get a tokomak to work on earth you need to get the plasma up to 150million kelvin as there is no extreme of pressure available.

The suns core pressure also means that the Hydrogen in the core is in its metallic form (has formed a lattice structure) whereas we are experimenting on earth with plasma (gas with electrons stripped from it) which further makes matters difficult.

i sort of understand that...........i have always been .....errr not scepticle......but thought it was still in the relms (slightly) of si-fi....................

but one thing i can say is..........you dont put billions into these schemes...in recent months/years making full scale ones like in france    after gaining the practicle knowledge from the early machine built and run in oxford in the 1980's............:hmm:

EDIT..........just remembered the name of the experimetal lab in Oxford...J.E.T.........joint european taurus.......it was explained to me they were experimenting with a ring of plasma held in position with magnatism........and that was in 1980 !!!

Edited by ditchman

34 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i sort of understand that...........i have always been .....errr not scepticle......but thought it was still in the relms (slightly) of si-fi....................

but one thing i can say is..........you dont put billions into these schemes...in recent months/years making full scale ones like in france    after gaining the practicle knowledge from the early machine built and run in oxford in the 1980's............

EDIT..........just remembered the name of the experimetal lab in Oxford...J.E.T.........joint european taurus.......it was explained to me they were experimenting with a ring of plasma held in position with magnatism........and that was in 1980 !!!

I believe that it was the JET-Torus.......or was it a load of bull 😁

20 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Bovine droppings from the "look at me I'm an intellectual" crowd.

So looking at ways to speed up coral regeneration is just bovine droppings then? Coral represents less than 0.1% of the habitat, but supports 25% of all marine life. It's declined 50% since 1950. Its global economic value could be in excess of $2tn and coral reefs protect vulnerable, coastal communities but coral's notoriously difficult to expand. 

An organisation that has managed to speed up the regeneration process by up to 50 times is probably worthy of having an extra £1m in funding.

Same goes for an organisation that's looking to reduce food waste in the City of Milan. 390t of food that would otherwise be wasted is recovered and turned into food for those who need it most - equivalent to 780,000 meals. 

Whatever you think of the climate change debate, all five winners are undeniably deserving of the award they've got. They're doing incredible things to help make this planet healthier, cleaner and humanity more caring. 

54 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Flight was poopooed but the Wright brothers proved them wrong.

Flight was based on observable evidence in the same medium (i.e. the air) and an understanding of physics and airflow.

Fusion is trying to replicate a process based in the solar core without the 1000's of atmospheres pressure required by substituting increased temperature and without understanding how the sun at it's core actually functions as they cannot observe/measure the conditions inside the sun, nevermind duplicate the process.

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

So looking at ways to speed up coral regeneration is just bovine droppings then? Coral represents less than 0.1% of the habitat, but supports 25% of all marine life. It's declined 50% since 1950. Its global economic value could be in excess of $2tn and coral reefs protect vulnerable, coastal communities but coral's notoriously difficult to expand. 

An organisation that has managed to speed up the regeneration process by up to 50 times is probably worthy of having an extra £1m in funding.

Same goes for an organisation that's looking to reduce food waste in the City of Milan. 390t of food that would otherwise be wasted is recovered and turned into food for those who need it most - equivalent to 780,000 meals. 

Whatever you think of the climate change debate, all five winners are undeniably deserving of the award they've got. They're doing incredible things to help make this planet healthier, cleaner and humanity more caring. 

Yep, all were deserving of the award?

Typical trashy exposure programme, lots of the undeserving in the audience looking for a bit of fame? The cost of venue etc possibly exceeded the first prize but typically that's the way it's done?

2 minutes ago, old man said:

Yep, all were deserving of the award?

Typical trashy exposure programme, lots of the undeserving in the audience looking for a bit of fame? The cost of venue etc possibly exceeded the first prize but typically that's the way it's done?

all are deserving, but some more deserving than others? 

I think they could have made it more tasteful than essentially a music concert with some environment spooned in, but at the end of the day, £5 million went to five very deserving organisations that are putting their skills and expertise into looking after the planet. There will of course be fame-seeking vultures skulking around looking for offcuts of exposure, but the five winners are getting a cash injection they wouldn't otherwise have got and that money's going back into their projects. 

3 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

all are deserving, but some more deserving than others? 

I think they could have made it more tasteful than essentially a music concert with some environment spooned in, but at the end of the day, £5 million went to five very deserving organisations that are putting their skills and expertise into looking after the planet. There will of course be fame-seeking vultures skulking around looking for offcuts of exposure, but the five winners are getting a cash injection they wouldn't otherwise have got and that money's going back into their projects. 

Yep but it should have been £15 million to show the faith? I know I'm old and boring but seriously the entertainment was carp, serious vegetable slinging if at a local venue?

18 minutes ago, old man said:

Yep but it should have been £15 million to show the faith? I know I'm old and boring but seriously the entertainment was carp, serious vegetable slinging if at a local venue?

I must confess, I didn't watch it! I looked up the organisations, saw what they were doing and why they were shortlisted, then waited for the results! It sounds...grotesque. And as you say unnecessarily expensive. Why not just save that cash and put the money saved into another project!

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I must confess, I didn't watch it! I looked up the organisations, saw what they were doing and why they were shortlisted, then waited for the results! It sounds...grotesque. And as you say unnecessarily expensive. Why not just save that cash and put the money saved into another project!

Maybe it's just me but IMHO you saved your senses.