End of online anonymity following Sir David Amess' Death

udderlyoffroad

Rather than de-rail the David Amess thread, I’ll start a new one.  So it seems, as a result of this horrific act by one individual, the wheels have been set in motion to ‘end online anonymity’.  Leaving aside for a minute how the 2 are related, it seems this is happening.  They’ve even christened it “David’s law”, how dreadfully twee, and for all I’ve read about the man, I get the distinct impression he would likely find that objectionable.

Anyway, to be clear, this is likely to include *any* social media, including pigeon watch.  So, your real name online, posting about your exploits killing small fluffy creatures.  Great isn’t it?  

As an aside, this will  leave us with a two-tier internet, and we will all have to get good with VPNs if we want to access services available to the rest of the world, as any sensible host outside of the UK will just geo-block UK IP addresses rather than having to deal with the difficulties associated with verifying an individual's identity.  Unless of course the government want to ban VPNs?   Which would make commerce rather difficult....they couldn't be that stupid, could they?

Anyone thinking of  posting even vaguely in favour of the proposed measure, please ensure that you’ve changed your userid to your real name before posting 😉

How would this have stopped him getting stabbed, the two are totally unrelated?  It is simply an excuse for even more Draconian Authoritarian legislation from the most dangerous Government we have ever had.   High time this Goverment took a long look at themselves, their none existent border controls put us all at risk but they are only concerned for their own safety.  Cowards the lot of them.

Edited by Weihrauch17

So far, as far as I can make out this is being pushed by Mark Francois, who by virtue of being the worst type of buffoon in the Colonel Blimp mold, has so far given only emotional bluster, and at no point has he drawn out a clear link between online anonymity and any of the murders/attacks on MPs.

Thinking laterally, I suppose the case they might try to make is that environments like Twitter, reddit etc are the sort of places where people post outrageous things which someone not of sound mind could view as being confirmatory of whatever twisted views they have.  But that argument doesnt seem to be being offered as far as I can tell.

Social media is a strange environment, and it definitely makes people act in ways they wouldnt do face to face and say things they probably dont mean.  There are also those who absolutely mean the things they say and do, but I dont think the proposed change is proportionate to this and so I dont support it.  It's incredibly easy to work out who people really are on platforms like these with fairly fixed memberships if you need to because people generally have no idea how much information they give out about themselves.

I have no problem with people knowing who I am, in fact when I joined PW I did so under my full name (later changed due to site rules at the time), but I dont think people should be forced to do so across all platforms.

I feel sorry for what happened to him , But all the fuss and its been over the news for days since it happened , There was a young lad knifed to death the same day and there been no mention of him ?> 

Now there moaning about police numbers and need more police for protecting  who cut the numbers of police in the first place  Mp's & Goverment 

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Anyone thinking of  posting even vaguely in favour of the proposed measure, please ensure that you’ve changed your userid to your real name before posting

No, that would be unilateral rather than multilateral so completely irrelevant. 

The people I know also who know who I am. If people PM me and include their name I always include my name in response. 

Worst case of misdirection seen in a long while. How does one man stabbing another man in the name of Islam (with possible mental health issues) become about online anonymity and misogyny on the Internet.

Reminds me of the so called recent Facebook 'whistle-blower', arguing for greater government control of the internet

The agenda has been written, and they'll use anything they can to push it.

4 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

How would this have stopped him getting stabbed, the two are totally unrelated?  It is simply an excuse for even more Draconian Authoritarian legislation from the most dangerous Government we have ever had.   High time this Goverment took a long look at themselves, their none existent border controls put us all at risk but they are only concerned for their own safety.  Cowards the lot of them.

Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither. Or some such said Benjamin Franklin.

I'd assumed it would be down to whatever social media platform you were on verifying who you are.

You would still post under your chosen user name, however if you made death threats or spouted hate speech etc you could be traced.

I could of course be completely wrong!

It is simply an excuse for even more Draconian Authoritarian legislation from the most dangerous Government we have ever had.   High time this Goverment took a long look at themselves, their none existent border controls put us all at risk but they are only concerned for their own safety.  Cowards the lot of them.

Who could argue with a post full of facts, not opinion. Laughable.

As Labour are supporting this, just how did it become an anti-Tory rant?

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Who could argue with a post full of facts, not opinion. Laughable.

As Labour are supporting this, just how did it become an anti-Tory rant?

The two issues are totally unrelated or can you provide some evidence they are I see absolutely none, what facts do you need!  Labour support everything this Govt does because they are way more left than Labour.

Edited by Weihrauch17

The two issues are totally unrelated or can you provide some evidence they are I see absolutely none, what facts do you need!  Labour support everything this Govt does because they are way more left than Labour.

Your posts are increasingly bizarre. Laughable was perhaps a little understated. 🙂