Calling all Astronomers.

JDog

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

This is a shot of the moon in the Western sky taken at 6.45 this morning. 

The sun clearly hasn't risen so where does the moon get its light source from?20211020_065222.jpg.071bac38b5d1063200bc3ad4a9f736e9.jpg

From my understanding as the earth rotates the part of earth we are on faces away from the sun, so we experience no sunlight. Due to the moons position it is always lit up on one face by the sun. Its just during daylight it is harder for us to see the moon with the sun lighting up our part of the earth

Seriously!!!!!!!

We rotate about an axis that isn’t vertical to our orbit, hence we experience the changing length of daylight throughout the year.

The moon is illuminated via the sun at all times. It’s visible during the day, but not so obvious as the contrast between light and dark of the day.

There are certain periods throughout the year when the moon appears to be of a different size or it’s luminosity changes. This is as per its position relative to my second paragraph- just because it’s dark outside your back door ( ooo err mrs), doesn’t mean the rest of the globe is and that lovely ball of burning gasses is illuminating the moon from an angle that your unable to see.

This is a very simplified explanation and odd that it should even be needed. 

I do however, have a different version for our ‘flat earth’ friends 🙂

I believe JDogg is asking a snooker question.... 

My explanation would be to do with the relative sizes and distances of the objects mean that there is very infrequently a lunar eclipse. Also as the sun earth and moon are not aligned directly (not a spring tide) then the shadow is well off hiding the moon. 

12 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Seriously!!!!!!!

We rotate about an axis that isn’t vertical to our orbit, hence we experience the changing length of daylight throughout the year.

The moon is illuminated via the sun at all times. It’s visible during the day, but not so obvious as the contrast between light and dark of the day.

There are certain periods throughout the year when the moon appears to be of a different size or it’s luminosity changes. This is as per its position relative to my second paragraph- just because it’s dark outside your back door ( ooo err mrs), doesn’t mean the rest of the globe is and that lovely ball of burning gasses is illuminating the moon from an angle that your unable to see.

This is a very simplified explanation and odd that it should even be needed. 

I do however, have a different version for our ‘flat earth’ friends 🙂

This! 

Here's another one and I'm sure you'll know. 

The coriolis effect. 

Do you have to calculate the spin of the earth when making a flight and if not, why not? 

19 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

This! 

Here's another one and I'm sure you'll know. 

The coriolis effect. 

Do you have to calculate the spin of the earth when making a flight and if not, why not? 

We don’t calculate for it but boy oh big did we have to study it for our exams. It’s effect on flight and weather systems dependant on latitude. 
For flight, we other considerations such as variation/deviation etc.

The joys of modern flight management systems and data systems means we pretty much point and go ( or at least the sat nav does) - gone are the days of Loran C , Decca and IRS/INS 

34 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

We don’t calculate for it but boy oh big did we have to study it for our exams. It’s effect on flight and weather systems dependant on latitude. 
For flight, we other considerations such as variation/deviation etc.

The joys of modern flight management systems and data systems means we pretty much point and go ( or at least the sat nav does) - gone are the days of Loran C , Decca and IRS/INS 

Cheers for that. 

I would have thought a long haul flight that went against the rotation of the earth along the equator could make a huge difference in time,compared to flying it the other way, but I'm not sure 🤔

46 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Cheers for that. 

I would have thought a long haul flight that went against the rotation of the earth along the equator could make a huge difference in time,compared to flying it the other way, but I'm not sure 🤔

Flying East to West in theory should be a shorter time, but in reality it the jet streams make our returns a lot faster. 

22 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Methinks someone is fishing 😁

You can fish, but just like sitting by the lake, you don’t always catch. 

We can step it up a bit and get really technical if you wish- but I prefer the ‘play school’ approach. Who knows, someone might actually be in Teresa a learn something.  😂😂😂😂